Gibson Brands Forums

J-100 Walnut

Tman

I do agree. Although, I have to admit, what we might also be hearing is the difference between the Baggs Element and the Baggs Anthem.

We will simply need more info, a 100% pure unplugged comparison. :)

I found the volume levels to be just right, actually. And you don't need that index finger! Heck, you got five of them. You can pick and choose what you use. :) I don't use my ring finger, so I think it's fair enough.

Both guitars sound and look great. I don't know how I'll ever choose between SJ-100 and SJ-200. It will take much perseverating.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like my J-15 a lot, but this weekend while perusing guitars in the big city, I sampled another J-15 that sounded thin & weak by comparison. Walnut has great potential, but just goes to show as always, it's a piece by piece ballgame & there are never any guarantees.

Also happened to notice that the flubber pickguard looked thicker & puffier than the one on my J-15. Don't know what might have changed over time (mine is dated 1/2/14), but I did not find it appealing. Same with other 2015 Gibsons I looked at, including a Hummingbird - rather odd in appearance.

Best guitar of the day was a used maple J-100extra from 2004, with a nasty crack in the back & gobs of glue as a cheap fix. Amazing what people will do, but it's beautiful tone still came through.

Also happened to notice that the flubber pickguard looked thicker & puffier than the one on my J-15. Don't know what might have changed over time (mine is dated 1/2/14), but I did not find it appealing. Same with other 2015 Gibsons I looked at, including a Hummingbird - rather odd in appearance.

What was it with the Bird, , , thinner guard also !?

We will simply need more info, a 100% pure unplugged comparison. :)

I think I can do that. I thought I really couldn't because of the auto clip of the computer mic but I have a mic that I can put into an AD converter and record them without any acoustic pick up. duh, then it would be much more useful.

What was it with the Bird, , , thinner guard also !?

No, it was the thick blubbery guard. I had not seen these newer thick guards until this weekend, and I now understand why some folks aren't exactly thrilled with them. Sure reminded me of the very thick batwing guard on my old '65 B-25n.

Frankly it is hard for me to get through this day of work. All I wanna do is play my guitar. [thumbup]

I know that feeling, especially after hearing the guitars in question, too! I always find it really comforting to know they're at home waiting for me.

Despite the J-200 being nice and aged, I really do think the J-100 gives it a run for its money..... maybe even surpasses it... Might be hard to go wrong either way, I guess.

It looks like chocolate and the new wood smells good too. I really can't stop playing it. My wife is living in Missouri for a year for her internship (mid career change) and we facetime each night and she just wanted me to play some originals for her and thought it sounded good over the iPad and her Airbook.

137FEB93-C6C4-412A-BBA5-68CBA18B0521_zpsoaxwbdp1.jpg

Look at this Walnut quilt! The vertical distractions are reflections. My cat walked close to it and I barbequed her for dinner - just kidding. Not funny I understand.

9EB49A5D-C7E5-40E3-9B14-B0FE1B007A83_zpsc2ubuij5.jpg

My observations:

Neck is thinner than the 97 SJ-200. I linke it thinner. It is really nice and the edges feel smoother, just like Gibson says on the new 2016 line up improvements section.

Bass is deeper and more defined and B and E strings too. D&G strings sound the same. I think.

Dream guitar. Can you tell I'm still smitten?

Wow. What would really be interesting (and impossible at this point) would be to compare them once the SJ-100 is aged. I can't get over how nice and aged that J-200 sounds. I have listened to the comparison over and over and even have it downloaded just in case. :)

Missouri, that is rough. I hope the year is almost up for you guys. That is some long distance. Although we are not married, I can understand, since my girlfriend/unofficial fiancee is English, lives in England, and is going to school in England, and we probably won't be together permanently until she finishes her new degree and is able to get a job that pays enough to convince her government to let her import me. (She could have come here years ago since I made enough, but so it goes. She wants to be there.)

Guitars are a comfort, but they do not solve these kinds of issues, sadly. Helps when our gals want to hear them over the internet or want to go on 12 hour trips to Bozeman though!

Unadulterated comparison by popular demand!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9monx0IeNk

Hard to hear much difference, due I expect to the limitations of the webcam mic.

But, man oh man, the look on your face as you reach for the new one- priceless!! You don't often find the "kid's face on Christmas morn" expression on a grown-up, but there you have it.

😉

I figured out why that j100 has gotten under my skin...I had my maple J100 and my amberburst j45 out on their stands the other day and it hit me: your guitar is their bio(il)logical offspring!! I swear, there should be a dna test. (Will try to take a photo of the proud parents together later.)

(Also, we've come to a consensus: if you don't seek $ support, we won't seek primary custody...)

Wow. What would really be interesting (and impossible at this point) would be to compare them once the SJ-100 is aged. I can't get over how nice and aged that J-200 sounds. I have listened to the comparison over and over and even have it downloaded just in case. :)

Missouri, that is rough. I hope the year is almost up for you guys. That is some long distance. Although we are not married, I can understand, since my girlfriend/unofficial fiancee is English, lives in England, and is going to school in England, and we probably won't be together permanently until she finishes her new degree and is able to get a job that pays enough to convince her government to let her import me. (She could have come here years ago since I made enough, but so it goes. She wants to be there.)

Guitars are a comfort, but they do not solve these kinds of issues, sadly. Helps when our gals want to hear them over the internet or want to go on 12 hour trips to Bozeman though!

She just left in August but I will visit hopefully once a month. I can actually do my job using internet transfer of data and I now have a Missouri license so I can keep her company. Distance is rough but mid Missouri is really nice. She lives on a lake so I can go there and get skunked fishing!

Best to you and your significant other. My brother lives in London and I think one of the best places on the planet (especially for music related things). Hope it all works out!

Maybe I should use one of those devices that vibrate the strings and makes the guitar age prematurely? Progeria inducer for guitars!

Hard to hear much difference, due I expect to the limitations of the webcam mic.

But, man oh man, the look on your face as you reach for the new one- priceless!! You don't often find the "kid's face on Christmas morn" expression on a grown-up, but there you have it.

I figured out why that j100 has gotten under my skin...I had my maple J100 and my amberburst j45 out on their stands the other day and it hit me: your guitar is their bio(il)logical offspring!! I swear, there should be a dna test. (Will try to take a photo of the proud parents together later.)

(Also, we've come to a consensus: if you don't seek $ support, we won't seek primary custody...)

I'd love to see your progeny! As far as a kid at Christmas, I am often accused of being a kid in an adults body so that fits :rolleyes: .

btw the mic was a decent external one but it still sounded kinda cheap. [crying][unsure]

http://www.lrbaggs.com/sites/default/files/pdf/element_active_manual.pdf

Congratulations that's one lovely looking and no doubt sounding guitar , good luck and enjoy your new friend

Thanks man! I'm loving it. [thumbup]

I thought the mic sounded pretty good, for what it's worth. We probably just need to force the poor guy to make more comparisons for us. One with the camera upside-down, one with a quarter, one with a thumbpick, one outside, one in the bathroom...

I have noticed that, while I love microphones, of course they color the tone. So when it comes to the Acoustic Letter, or to anything (Musician's Friend, Guitar Center) where it's the same person with the same microphone, things always sound a bit samish. Limitations of recordings and maybe the limitations of humanity.

Oh great, now we are going to try to get Phillip to invite 5 friends over so they can pass the guitars around. And then after that, one more with the same people, but this time, they have to stand on their heads.

Two superb Jumbos, no doubt - more than like the new pics too.

Something about the 100 melts everything down around it.

Imagine the thing 5 - 10 - 15 years from now - a few dings'n'scratches, but open, loose and totally together.

It'll steal any room like a Rembrandt.

I was going to be fancy and download these two videos (or three) and sort of cut them up and try to do comparisons. It wouldn't be super accurate though because they were all filmed at different times, but Wildwood did the SJ-200 Western Classic in both walnut and rosewood, and of course they've done plenty of standards in maple.

But I am so tired, so very tired, and so lazy, so I'll just put the videos here instead and one can play/pause and click around if one wishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4FFASHVcWs

standard maple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB8WZB7h7Fs

walnut

There are differences, of course, because the SJ-100 Walnut is not the same as the SJ-200 Western Classic in walnut. The only difference that should really matter is mahogany vs. maple neck, but maybe that is a big difference and could get in the way of the difference we're really trying to compare, which is maple vs. walnut on an SJ.

There are differences, of course, because the SJ-100 Walnut is not the same as the SJ-200 Western Classic in walnut. The only difference that should really matter is mahogany vs. maple neck, but maybe that is a big difference and could get in the way of the difference we're really trying to compare, which is maple vs. walnut on an SJ.

I think you are right and that the maple vs mahogany neck makes a difference. These 2 J-200's from WW sound different from each other but I am not well versed in etiquette enough to know how to describe it. I think the walnut J-200 here,(given all variables), sounds different than the 2016 Walnut J-100. Like I know what I am talking about but I am here to learn. [mellow]

That guy is so good. I mean amazingly good.

And thanks for posting that Jesse. Very germane to the topic at hand. [thumbup]

I think you are right and that the maple vs mahogany neck makes a difference. These 2 J-200's from WW sound different from each other but I am not well versed in etiquette enough to know how to describe it. I think the walnut J-200 here,(given all variables), sounds different than the 2016 Walnut J-100. Like I know what I am talking about but I am here to learn. [mellow]

That guy is so good. I mean amazingly good.

And thanks for posting that Jesse. Very germane to the topic at hand. [thumbup]

Very interesting!! I was hoping you might have an opinion there. I have heard some luthiers say that mahogany is the best neck (or something similar to it, like the "cedar" Martin uses). Although, that said, my J-15 does have a maple neck, and it's great, but yeah, the point is, different necks sound different...

That's funny though, because here I was thinking, Yeah, that sounds pretty darn close to Tman's SJ-100. But of course, the proof is in the playing, all mics are different, and no matter how many videos one may comb through, you can get a decent feel, but you can never know for sure! :)

Yeah, I think if I could steal any one person's playing ability and osmose it, it would probably be Greg Koch's. I really like how he hybrid picks. I have also seen him play fingerstyle without a pick, though, and when he does that, he does it the way I do. But that's what confuses me, because if I have a pick in my thumb/index fingers, then my other fingers get confused because my index finger is missing. Actually, that is a good argument for your playing style, Tman, to leave the pointer finger idle, because in a hybrid style, it would just be holding the pick with the thumb.... You can tell your brother that next time (or whomever it was, but I swear you said it was your brother who heckles you for it).

Archived