Gibson Brands Forums

Shoals of Herring Cover on my J15

Avery

Hey guys,

I did a cover of Shoals of Herring on my J15. I first heard this song in the movie "Inside Llewyn Davis", and really wanted to learn it afterwards. So I did a cover of Oscar Isaac's version of this song.

The vocal ain't too great in certain spots, and I do wish my strings were broken in a bit more (I find that certain brands sound kind of metallic when first put on) but here goes nothin'.

Check it out and tell me what you think!

Another good one, Avery. The guitar has a resonating sound to it and you've got a voice that fits this genre of music. I'm a fan of the old Irish and Scottish sea shanty songs. They have a simple, yet very melodic style for telling a story of a hard life. Being a fisherman on an ocean fishing boat is a bit different from sitting on the bank with your fishing pole in the water and a beer in your hand and your butt in a lawn chair. An interesting tale. I enjoyed it........BTW, are you playing/singing into a web cam? If it is, I think the acoustic tone of the guitar really shines. What kind of cam is it? .........I think that maybe your vocal needs to be just a bit louder, but it's still good. Either way, good video/recording. Keep the music alive!....... [thumbup] [thumbup]

Another good one, Avery. The guitar has a resonating sound to it and you've got a voice that fits this genre of music. I'm a fan of the old Irish and Scottish sea shanty songs. They have a simple, yet very melodic style for telling a story of a hard life. Being a fisherman on an ocean fishing boat is a bit different from sitting on the bank with your fishing pole in the water and a beer in your hand and your butt in a lawn chair. An interesting tale. I enjoyed it........BTW, are you playing/singing into a web cam? If it is, I think the acoustic tone of the guitar really shines. What kind of cam is it? .........I think that maybe your vocal needs to be just a bit louder, but it's still good. Either way, good video/recording. Keep the music alive!....... [thumbup] [thumbup]

Thanks so much! I love this song, and I really like the arrangement they did in the movie.

Just recording with my iPhone camera, should really add on a mic to the iPhone so the audio is better. And I need to sing louder too, often struggle with that.

I really enjoyed this - thanks for posting. Vocals were very nice indeed. I loved that movie so much - an all time favorite.

Thanks for listening and the compliment! That movie was one of my all time favorites too. I've never seen a movie like that where the protagonist has to struggle so much, and still doesn't make it in the end. Makes it really relatable, and less "Hollywood". Plus, great music too. Oscar Isaac has a great voice.

Very nice!

I was really waiting for those "certain spots" but they never occurred to me. And a very nice sounding gibby too. [thumbup]

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! I thought I sounded kind of quiet , a little hoarse, that was my main vocal gripe.

Thanks so much! I love this song, and I really like the arrangement they did in the movie.

Just recording with my iPhone camera, should really add on a mic to the iPhone so the audio is better. And I need to sing louder too, often struggle with that.

I think if you sang louder it would be fine. In no way is it a bad vocal. You likely just have to sing louder....Either way, good stuff.

Agreed. Great stuff Avery. I have not seen the movie etc... I really got to check it out.

Thanks,Sal! A couple of Gibson Acoustics feature prominently. Like all Coen brothers movies it can be a little depressing, but for some reason I kind of liked that. There's this Dave Van Ronk song "Green Green Rocky Road" that the lead actor, Oscar Isaac, plays briefly. It's got this cool melody with the alternating bass thing. I recommend checking out his version on YouTube.

Thanks for listening and the compliment! That movie was one of my all time favorites too. I've never seen a movie like that where the protagonist has to struggle so much, and still doesn't make it in the end. Makes it really relatable, and less "Hollywood". Plus, great music too. Oscar Isaac has a great voice.

I watched the movie in July and coincidentally we made our first trip to NYC in August. The movie was really on my mind as we wandered through the West Village. I think it is a masterpiece.

Archived