Gibson Brands Forums

J-45: Newbie to J45 help.

SkyRider

Hi,

-Is 2016 J-45 worth up charge of the older, se 2010-2015 J45?

-Would you buy J-45 sight unseen or played?

-Anyone use J-45 as their primary guitar for church worship team?

-Currently have Collings SJ rosewood/Sitka and Songwriter. J-45 overlap/redundant?

Thank you!

1. Subjective. Obviously, a 5 year old guitar will be less expensive than a new model.

2. Yes. If it were New, and there were a decent return policy.

3. It isn't called "The Workhorse" for nothing.

4. I don't know the answer here - but the standard J45 is mahogany and short scale.

Hi1, My J45 was made June 2015 love it to bits I would not pay the up charge I would seek a good deal on a new old stock version 2, Yes I play in Church most Sunday's with another guitarist and keyboard . I find that the L Baggs and the guitar is exceptional in this environment I also use I little delay sometimes no problem ,I use a Marshall AS50 D with the delay in the loop . The. Reason I love this amp over my AER is the feedback reduction and phase switch on the Marshall, I find the D string can be a little too resonant sometimes, depending on the string type 3, Always try before you buy

I would never buy a J45 (or any acoustic guitar for that matter) sight unseen. Just too many factors that can't be controlled and since it's made out of organic materials there's only so much the person making it can do. A human can ensure great craftsmanship and attention to detail, but in the end it all boils down to a sum of it's parts. So just because a guitar has a certain name on the headstock or a certain model number associated with it doesn't in any way guarantee that it will sound good. And sounding "good" is very subjective to the person playing the guitar. Something that sounds brash and tinny to your ear may be the bee's knees to someone else! If I was dropping that much coin on a guitar I'd be darn sure I'd hear it first.

And as far as the newer model year guaranteeing it will be better, doubt it. It's basically the same guitar as last year with some fairly superficial/cosmetic changes, so just like previous years, it's a roll of the dice. If the 2016 sounded amazing I'd get that one. if a 2014 or 2015 sounded better I'd jump on that one. Plain and simple. And for the record, I absolutely love J45's, but with that said, I can't remember a model that has so much variation between examples of the same model for whatever reason. It's obviously there for the reasons I stated in the beginning of my reply, but J45's just seem to be all over the place. All I tried had great fit and finish, but they just varied a lot in sound, in particular the low end. None ever lacked in high end, but several were weak/anemic in the low end. i held out for one that had that classic J45 growl and bottom end, and glad I was patient. I ended up with your regular old J45 Standard because I thought it sounded best to my ear, even when compared to other more expensive J45 models.

If you did have to buy sight unseen I'd really recommend a reputable shop that has several to choose from where you could tell a salesperson what you're looking for in a J45. I bought mine in person from Wildwood Guitars in Colorado, and it's a small operation. They will actually bring out all they have of a particular model and the employees will play them all and give feedback and actually pick the ones they think will suit the customer best based in their preferences. Still not as good as being there in person, but I was really impressed at the customer service and extend those guys will go to to make their customers happy.

And just out of curiosity, what is your Collings lacking that you think a J45 would accomplish? Collins are amazing instruments, What is making you consider adding a J45 to the stable. And I think for the music your playing the Collings would be more than adequate and should sound incredible. The one big difference between the guitars you currently have and a J45 Standard is the back and sides are mahogany, compared to the rosewood back and sides of your current guitars. If that worth it? That's a decision only you can make but in all honesty will that make a noticeable difference to your audience? Nope.

First of all, for people that simply love guitars, there is no rhyme or reason in regards to why we need to buy another guitar. Just wanting "that" particular guitar is enough. If you don't have a J45, you need one. I already had one and I got another. Owning a similar Martin/Collings/etc., or even a similar Gibson has very little to do with it when you want it. Most of us in here have "been there and done that" many times and we continue to do so. Doesn't really matter if we've already got other mahogany, rosewood, same style, same size guitars. By all means, if possible, play an instrument before you buy. On the-other-hand, technology makes it very possible to own instruments that you have only read about and seen on YouTube, instruments that you likely never/rarely have available at any local or even national music store. If you're buying from a reputable source, I wouldn't be afraid of getting one. Guitar Center has a 45 day return policy on new and used guitars. I imagine the other big dealers are similar. Playing a guitar before buying is always a good idea, but not always possible. ...........Regarding the 2016---Sal will likely chime-in on this thread. He has a new one and he seems to really enjoy the difference between it and earlier versions.

I have the 2016, and love it. I picked it over a TV the shop had in stock, as well as another 2016 Standard, and a 2015 Standard.. The 2016 adds a better pickup (element VTC), hand rubbed bridges, a different pick guard, etc. but notably a plekked fingerboard, and rounded off edges. The neck is wicked comfortable. It was definitely worth the extra 200 bucks for me.

Having said that, and saying that I have not bought a dud Gibson yet after many many purchases, I will agree with SBpark. Buy the one that sounds better, regardless of year. I do. If you can't try them out, wildwood is great. I have bought from them, and their service is tops.

Regarding redundancy, no guitar sounds like a J45... Specifically the mahogany ones. None. I have an Eastman E20SS, new in fact, and the guitar is visually flawless, with a perfect burst, and a very pleasing sound. It does not sound like a J45 of any type. I like it, I really like it, but only Gibson bracing, Montana air, and elves can deliver the growl and whump. Here is my J45:

aecaee01-d67e-4afa-8c2b-ec8552a23610_zpsdkvs8h6z.jpg

I just can't get past the soft, blobby look of the new pick guards. Kind of makes it look cheap for some reason, at least to me, and overkill, like a giant damper to suck up the sound of the top of the guitar!

Never make fun of a mans woman or guitar. Keep that in your inside voice. That sht is rude.

To the OP. The pick guard is not soft or blobby. You may like it or not. Whatever incarnation of J45 you pick, or whatever modern year, you will love it.

Regarding redundancy, no guitar sounds like a J45... Specifically the mahogany ones. None. ...[O]nly Gibson bracing, Montana air, and elves can deliver the growl and whump. Here is my J45:

aecaee01-d67e-4afa-8c2b-ec8552a23610_zpsdkvs8h6z.jpg

Big "Plus One" from me.

Nice photo, too, Sal!

Red 333

Archived