Gibson Brands Forums

Why are there screws in the fretboard??

Pablo Jones

I am looking to buy an Epiphone Century. I found a beautiful one but I found something very curious; two philips head screws on the bottom end of the fretboard. The owner doesn't know the origin nor can he take it to a luthier to tell him why. I'd like to buy the guitar but would like to know if these screws are normal or someone could have done a neck reset? I want one of these in excellent and playable condition. If the screws doesn't affect this then I'd be open to buy but for considerable lower price. This can't be stock. I searched images of this guitar and none had screws!

Any ideas guitar experts??

post-76169-003867100 1452655686_thumb.jpg

post-76169-055367400 1452655694_thumb.jpg

post-76169-051291500 1452655705_thumb.jpg

That's bizarre!

I can only assume that the fretboard showed signs of lifting in the area and a previous owner decided to screw it down.

Personally I wouldn't touch it not even at a reduced price.

I am looking to buy an Epiphone Century. I found a beautiful one but I found something very curious; two philips head screws on the bottom end of the fretboard. The owner doesn't know the origin nor can he take it to a luthier to tell him why. I'd like to buy the guitar but would like to know if these screws are normal or someone could have done a neck reset? I want one of these in excellent and playable condition. If the screws doesn't affect this then I'd be open to buy but for considerable lower price. This can't be stock. I searched images of this guitar and none had screws!

Any ideas guitar experts??

I agree with what Pin said my take on it would be, if in doubt do without.

Captainjack.

...I can only assume that the fretboard showed signs of lifting in the area and a previous owner decided to screw it down.

Yes, the fingerboard extension over archtop bodies tends to warp if not supported properly. On High-end archtops, the support is carved from what is still part of the neck/neck block. On lower-end models, the fingerboard either just lays on the soundboard, and/or is supported by a "filler" strip.

The transition area at the fingerboard extension is a problem on many archtops. Due to neck-set angle, most problem extensions seem to nose dive at the body. This is generally not a problem with playability, as most archtop players never play that high on the neck anyway. If the fingerboard extension seems to have raised, this could be a sign of other neck/neck-set issues.

The bolt-on plate on the back of the neck heel looks to also show signs of major structural repair. Weren't these old Epi's set-necks?

Run Away!

I recently had a MIK Emperor with a neck repair. The person drove two big screws through the fretboard into the heel. Totally unnecessary IMO if the glue was done right. They puttied over them and I didn't see it in the ebay auction, nor was it disclosed to me. Oh well.

I recently had a MIK Emperor with a neck repair. The person drove two big screws through the fretboard into the heel. Totally unnecessary IMO if the glue was done right. They puttied over them and I didn't see it in the ebay auction, nor was it disclosed to me. Oh well.

Now that's really bad. [thumbdn]

I remember maybe 40 years ago trying out a guitar in some long forgotten shop. The guitar was interesting because it had a pair of dot inlays up around the 15th or 16th fret. As I was playing the monster one if the inlays fell out revealing the nastiest old Phillips head screw you ever saw! No, I didn't buy the guitar.

I wouldn't judge the guitar without seeing it, and that depends on what the price is.

In my experience, all those older bolt-on Epi's (acoustic) are potential problems, repaired or not. I can't remember seeing one that didn't need work of some sort.

If those two screws there are enough to put you off, you shouldn't be looking at bolt-on neck acoustics at all.

run, don't walk away from something like that.

your instinct is correct, and the deal smells bad.

there are so many good guitars out there for sale, guitars which are no more and

no less than they seem, you shouldn't consider anything fishy at all.

And to answer your question: Why are there screws in the fretboard?

A: Because there is bullshite somewhere, and the screws are to hold it together

just long enough to sell. This is no bargain.

Yes, the fingerboard extension over archtop bodies tends to warp if not supported properly. On High-end archtops, the support is carved from what is still part of the neck/neck block. On lower-end models, the fingerboard either just lays on the soundboard, and/or is supported by a "filler" strip.

The transition area at the fingerboard extension is a problem on many archtops. Due to neck-set angle, most problem extensions seem to nose dive at the body. This is generally not a problem with playability, as most archtop players never play that high on the neck anyway. If the fingerboard extension seems to have raised, this could be a sign of other neck/neck-set issues.

The bolt-on plate on the back of the neck heel looks to also show signs of major structural repair. Weren't these old Epi's set-necks?

Run Away!

Yes, indeed, these were set-neck guitars. That guitar is toast. I would imagine that the screws through the top of the fretboard are helping to hold the neck on.

The Century was Kalamazoo's Epiphone clone of the Gibson ES-125T. It was indeed a set-neck model, so this is a complete hack job. The heel must have been separating from the body, and the owner unfortunately added the fretboard screws and heelplate.

I happen to have a '66 ES-125T, and it's worth keeping an eye out for a good one. Mine is in excellent condition, having survived fifty years with no structural issues whatsoever, so unquestionably you can do much better than this botched up example!

Archived