Gibson Brands Forums

What motivated you to take up guitar?

sparquelito

All of these things.

The acoustic guitar is a beautiful instrument. The electric guitar is all musical instruments. It was revolutionary in its early days- like no other. And from it came music like none before it. Tons of it... it revolutionized music. I started playing guitar with the Beatles, the Ventures, Buddy Holly, Elvis, Burrell, Curtis Mayfield, Steve Cropper, Bob Dylan... quite a long list of pioneers.

I just like making music with a guitar.

Just music in general, the Monkees, Hermans Hermits, Troggs, Doors,all Motown ...and earlier, my mom listening to Boots Randolph, Eddie Arnold, Chubbie Checker, etc. I was very fortunate to have had a mother who really enjoyed and played music around the house. She had a great voice and died too young in 1967. I am eternally greatfull for her genes and memories. Dad has a tin ear.....but a great man who enjoys my talent.

Just music in general, the Monkees, Hermans Hermits, Troggs, Doors,all Motown ...and earlier, my mom listening to Boots Randolph, Eddie Arnold, Chubbie Checker, etc. I was very fortunate to have had a mother who really enjoyed and played music around the house. She had a great voice and died too young in 1967. I am eternally greatfull for her genes and memories. Dad has a tin ear.....but a great man who enjoys my talent.

Good for you! I hope you did the same for your kids!

I started playing guitar in 2000 when I was 8 years old. KISS was the reason. My mom and dad were watching the KISS: THE LAST KISS concert that aired on Direct TV Pay Per View then and I happened to walk in and was instantly hooked and said, "That's what I want to do!" and I begged for a guitar and that Christmas I got my first guitar. So, KISS is and always will be my #1 all time favorite band. Don't have my first guitar anymore. Wish I still did for sentimental reasons. It was an Ibanez Gio AX.

My dad always had a uke around the house so I started playing that when I was about 9 or so. Kingston Trio and Pete Seeger records, and my godfather (who played guitar) got me into that, then the Beatles and girls kept it going through High School. Sort of put it down when I got married, then picked it back up during my divorce. Along the way I picked up sax (grade school and High School) and bass (college).

Archived