Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie - Hello and Help - Gibson Everly J180 LE 1992 10/100

Dread480

Hi folks, I'm thrilled to join the forum. I'm Dread480, from Phoenix, AZ, and I look forward to being a part of the group.

I wanted to ask for some help as well. I recently picked up a 1992 Gibson Everly artist model, J180, no. 10 of 100. I know generally about the Everly model, but I was wondering if anyone had some knowledge specific to this run? I haven't seen any other Everly models with the headstock, pinstripes, and binding that mine has. I'll include some pics. Thanks in advance for your insights!

24406505053_5b4c9f7a21_z.jpg

24915300892_aed2044aab_z.jpg

24665708929_b4ca48436f_z.jpg

25033339055_6140a143c7_z.jpg

24737805810_7c9c6c497d_z.jpg

25006993366_5719064cb8_z.jpg

25033337935_21cb3b635f_z.jpg

What an interesting take on the Everly model! The tortoise binding and the structured headstock with the golden classic Kluson tuners really stand out as unique features. I hope she plays and sounds as well as she looks.

In my opinion the J-180 is the best-sounding guitar Gibson ever had, and they are extremely difficult to come by as they are only ever manufactured in very limited runs these days.

You've got yourself one absolutely gorgeous guitar. I agree with the others, Gibson should bring back that headstock! Do you know if the electronics on yours are original?

There's a ton of stuff on Gibson Everlys' on the Internet. But info on the 1992 you have seems sparse. I don't think anyone on the forum owns any of the Everlys' but I could be wrong.

In 1983 the Everlys switched to playing guitars built for them specially by a luthier named Steinegger. So I'm curious how Gibson was able to bring out a signature model in 1992. And I wonder if they'd be able to bring one out now (though, unfortunately it wouldn't have both signatures).

For Everly info in general check out www.everly.net/file/guitars.

Anybody got a guess as to what iteration of Everly Gibsons Albert Lee is playing at 9:08 here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUlpQ0iQ6-Y

Does not appear to be the original Everly prototype given to Lee by Don Everly as seen here:

613TtCb99QL._SX425_.jpg

Congratulations on your guitar. Any chance you could upload a sound sample for us?

What an interesting take on the Everly model! The tortoise binding and the structured headstock with the golden classic Kluson tuners really stand out as unique features. I hope she plays and sounds as well as she looks.

In my opinion the J-180 is the best-sounding guitar Gibson ever had, and they are extremely difficult to come by as they are only ever manufactured in very limited runs these days.

I love the way is sounds. It has a sweetness to it that I don't fine with my rosewood guitars.

You've got yourself one absolutely gorgeous guitar. I agree with the others, Gibson should bring back that headstock! Do you know if the electronics on yours are original?

There's a ton of stuff on Gibson Everlys' on the Internet. But info on the 1992 you have seems sparse. I don't think anyone on the forum owns any of the Everlys' but I could be wrong.

In 1983 the Everlys switched to playing guitars built for them specially by a luthier named Steinegger. So I'm curious how Gibson was able to bring out a signature model in 1992. And I wonder if they'd be able to bring one out now (though, unfortunately it wouldn't have both signatures).

For Everly info in general check out www.everly.net/file/guitars.

Anybody got a guess as to what iteration of Everly Gibsons Albert Lee is playing at 9:08 here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUlpQ0iQ6-Y

Does not appear to be the original Everly prototype given to Lee by Don Everly as seen here:

613TtCb99QL._SX425_.jpg

Congratulations on your guitar. Any chance you could upload a sound sample for us?

I love the guitar. I doubt the electronics are original, as I had to adjust them a little as the switches sat a little high. The timing of the signature model is an interesting point as well. Thank you for all of the information.

I love the guitar. I doubt the electronics are original, as I had to adjust them a little as the switches sat a little high. The timing of the signature model is an interesting point as well. Thank you for all of the information.

Just so you know- the electronics are original. It is the Gibson S.O.R.S. system. It's actually quite good. It was developed in Nashville and used at Montana from '90 to 1993 when it was replaced by a series of other pickups.

Just so you know- the electronics are original. It is the Gibson S.O.R.S. system. It's actually quite good. It was developed in Nashville and used at Montana from '90 to 1993 when it was replaced by a series of other pickups.

Thank you Hogeye! That's great to know.

C'mon, Hogeye. Give us a little more information:

What were the circumstance at the time that Gibson brought it out long after the Everlys had stopped using Gibsons?

Could Gibson bring this model out again?

C'mon, Hogeye. Give us a little more information:

What were the circumstance at the time that Gibson brought it out long after the Everlys had stopped using Gibsons?

Could Gibson bring this model out again?

The guitar is basically a J-180. It's called the Everly because Phil and Don were fighting at the time the deal was made. Don was the only one to endorse the deal. Thus the Everly and not the Everly Brothers. The deal is just like everything in life. It was the money. Simple as that.

Other folks copied the J-180 and made a deal with the brothers but Gibson had the original design and the other folks were just copies. Gibson has several different versions of the Everly. My favorite was the one with a moustache bridge with stars inlayed into it. There was even a pin less bridge version.

All of the J-180's Albert Lee plays were made in Bozeman and a few were modified by folks in Nashville. No one in Bozeman had a clue as to who Albert Lee is or his contribution to the music. Albert was very keen on the J-180 and would have been happy to do an endorsement deal. Bozeman missed a big opportunity.

I doubt that another Everly will be in the works but the J-180 is the very same instrument and they could build a batch at any time they thought it would make them money. There was a big following for the Everly Brothers in Europe and many fan clubs. A big one in the Netherlands. They would be a great group to target. The folks in Montana just have no clue.

I have many versions of the J-180 pickguards and some are even made of plastic mother of toilet seat. Not a good look at all. I like the black versions myself.

The version in Rosewood has the peghead overlaid in Rosewood and is a takeoff of the original J-180 that was covered with Holly and painted black. The Rosewood is a very classy addition for sure.

If Gibson brought out the Rosewood version as pictured in the original post they would just call it a Custom J-180 and would not have the Everly name on it unless they made another deal. I doubt it would ever happen.

Cool guitar for sure. Just for the record they didn't complete the entire run of 100. They sold less than 50.

The guitar is basically a J-180. It's called the Everly because Phil and Don were fighting at the time the deal was made. Don was the only one to endorse the deal. Thus the Everly and not the Everly Brothers. The deal is just like everything in life. It was the money. Simple as that.

Other folks copied the J-180 and made a deal with the brothers but Gibson had the original design and the other folks were just copies. Gibson has several different versions of the Everly. My favorite was the one with a moustache bridge with stars inlayed into it. There was even a pin less bridge version.

All of the J-180's Albert Lee plays were made in Bozeman and a few were modified by folks in Nashville. No one in Bozeman had a clue as to who Albert Lee is or his contribution to the music. Albert was very keen on the J-180 and would have been happy to do an endorsement deal. Bozeman missed a big opportunity.

I doubt that another Everly will be in the works but the J-180 is the very same instrument and they could build a batch at any time they thought it would make them money. There was a big following for the Everly Brothers in Europe and many fan clubs. A big one in the Netherlands. They would be a great group to target. The folks in Montana just have no clue.

I have many versions of the J-180 pickguards and some are even made of plastic mother of toilet seat. Not a good look at all. I like the black versions myself.

The version in Rosewood has the peghead overlaid in Rosewood and is a takeoff of the original J-180 that was covered with Holly and painted black. The Rosewood is a very classy addition for sure.

If Gibson brought out the Rosewood version as pictured in the original post they would just call it a Custom J-180 and would not have the Everly name on it unless they made another deal. I doubt it would ever happen.

Cool guitar for sure. Just for the record they didn't complete the entire run of 100. They sold less than 50.

Thank you Hogeye. I will enjoy this guitar for years to come.

Think I might have found something you'll like.

Check out this page on Reverb: Gibson J-180 Everly Brothers 1990s Ebony.

Whoever wrote the copy on that page says "The Everly Brothers signature acoustic dates back to 1962. Easily identified by its double flowing pickguards, it ran from 1962 - 1972 simply as the Everly Brothers model. In 1986 the model was relaunched as J-180. This guitar was based on the jumbo J-185 but with a few fancier details such as star inlays. It was once again shortened to the Everly Brothers model from '92 - '94 and then the Everly until '96 when it once again ran as the J-180."

But then he adds: " *Not to be confused with the 1993 Montana special edition (36 made) or subsequent Custom Shop models." I'm wondering if he has the date wrong on the "1993 Montana special edition" and is really referring to your 1992. If so, then your guitar is number 10 of only 36, which agrees with Hogeye's statement that they sold less than 50.

Lots of confusing info going around and Gibson isn't much help in the matter. They made all kinds of Limited and Special editions of this guitar.

In 1993 Gibson had a Special of the month. The November guitar was a J-180 Artist in Black with tortoise shell binding. This sounds very much like the op's guitar but definitely a 93 offering. Also in '93 Gibson offered a version to it's international dealers. This was a November guitar as well. It featured a pearloid set of pickguards and a pinless bridge.

One of the coolest versions was done in 1994. This was the Everly cut-away. It featured smaller bat-wing tortis pickguards to accommodate the cut-away and the moustache bridge with stars. It was available in black and a very cool heritage cherry sunburst. This had the AccuVoice pickup.

Lots of confusing info going around and Gibson isn't much help in the matter. They made all kinds of Limited and Special editions of this guitar.

In 1993 Gibson had a Special of the month. The November guitar was a J-180 Artist in Black with tortoise shell binding. This sounds very much like the op's guitar but definitely a 93 offering. Also in '93 Gibson offered a version to it's international dealers. This was a November guitar as well. It featured a pearloid set of pickguards and a pinless bridge.

One of the coolest versions was done in 1994. This was the Everly cut-away. It featured smaller bat-wing tortis pickguards to accommodate the cut-away and the moustache bridge with stars. It was available in black and a very cool heritage cherry sunburst. This had the AccuVoice pickup.

Absolutely no luck finding a picture of an Everly cutaway. I think there is a heritage cherry standard model in the gif below:

2124531_166.gif

Think I might have found something you'll like.

Check out this page on Reverb: Gibson J-180 Everly Brothers 1990s Ebony.

Whoever wrote the copy on that page says "The Everly Brothers signature acoustic dates back to 1962. Easily identified by its double flowing pickguards, it ran from 1962 - 1972 simply as the Everly Brothers model. In 1986 the model was relaunched as J-180. This guitar was based on the jumbo J-185 but with a few fancier details such as star inlays. It was once again shortened to the Everly Brothers model from '92 - '94 and then the Everly until '96 when it once again ran as the J-180."

But then he adds: " *Not to be confused with the 1993 Montana special edition (36 made) or subsequent Custom Shop models." I'm wondering if he has the date wrong on the "1993 Montana special edition" and is really referring to your 1992. If so, then your guitar is number 10 of only 36, which agrees with Hogeye's statement that they sold less than 50.

Wow. That'd be cool.

Archived