Gibson Brands Forums

Re-plating hardware

TexasJay

I am considering having the gold hardware on my 88 Sheraton re-plated. Anyone had any success with this?

I wouldn't do that with a $5000 guitar - why bother with an Epiphone?

But it is your guitar and your call. I wish you luck.

Late to the party, but I'd have to agree that the cost/time involved may not be worth it in the long run. I only have one guitar with gold hardware (Ovation Elite) and in all honesty, could do without it. It fades quickly, doesn't polish or hold up well, and frankly, always looks like it needs to be "buffed". Not sure a "refinish" would solve that/those problem(s).

Give me chrome or stainless any day.

Well, as one who has had one guitar's gold plating re-done, I can say it was "worth it," to me.

It was on my '66 Gretsch Country Gentleman, was done in 1982, and still looks great! There

was (probably still is) a place that a Luthier friend of mine used, in L.A., that did a great job,

and actually "double dipped" the parts, so the gold is twice the thickness, as it was originally.

Now, it doesn't look any thinker, as in inappropriately so, or wavy, thick looking, at all. It's

just that it's lasted a lot longer, and essentially still looks pretty much "like new!" And,

that's been 34 years ago. So, if you can find the right vendor, and it's "worth it," to YOU,

go for it!

CB

I agree with C.B., if you love the guitar, & you can find an affordable place, do it. I'm going to purchase a plating system this year so I can gold, & chrome, parts for my Harley's. Not that I can't buy them done, but I just want to do it myself and know that it's done well (and for fun). I'll prob. spend $500 on the equip. to do it and have heard you can get other to have you plate things pretty easy to pay off the gear & make some $$ too. That could be a good retirement hobby job to play with for fun & string money.

See how much it costs to have plated, look at their product finish, or if you can buy new at Stew-Mac. What Charlie says is so true, the factory "gold" is so thin I have used "Simechrome" cleaner on a bridge saddle with a cotton t-shirt and wiped the gold (ha) right off on an Epi SG. I'm for heavy duty quality so maybe check into the plating stuff on the web if you are interested.

Aster

The only guitar I have with gold plating is my Sheraton II. I have designs on just replacing the gold hardware with chrome/nickel hardware (just posted a related thread a while ago). Seems kinda wrong to take the gold off a Sheraton, though.

Nonetheless, when ever I start to fret over the day her gold tarnishes and wears away, I look at a few pictures of a some well loved and well played guitars that remind me of the character which develops over time…

7xQvQIQ.png

Z25Oebt.jpg

These were owned by Les Paul!

The gold plating on my '77 Country Club is long, long gone. It didn't even flake off, it just volatilized and went away, leaving nary a trace. Part of the charm.

Actually I see some left on the bridge. The plater must have made a mistake and done some of it right.

2vuwlrl.jpg

I would kill for an old Black Beauty Les Paul with about 6% of it's original gold plating showing. Drooly stuff.

The gold plating on my '77 Country Club is long, long gone. It didn't even flake off, it just volatilized and went away, leaving nary a trace. Part of the charm.

Actually I see some left on the bridge. The plater must have made a mistake and done some of it right.

2vuwlrl.jpg

I would kill for an old Black Beauty Les Paul with about 6% of it's original gold plating showing. Drooly stuff.

Very nice, broken in well. [thumbup]

Archived