Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Scale length 24.75?

RockyA

I often wondered why Gibson specs it's scale length at 24.75 when it is actually measured at 24.50. Since the science of measuring scale length is measuring from the inside of the nut to the center of the 12th fret, the measurement is 12.25 multiplied by two = 24.50" and not 24.75" So Gibson must have a unique method other than standard measurement for scale length. I guess they pay no attention to the measurement of behind the nut to the center of 12th fret X 2 rule to determine the scale length. They must think the scale length is the measurement of the inside of the nut to the Low E saddle adjusted to measure 24.75" and then call that the scale.....NOT

There was a recent thread about this - one of the contributors was sure the scale lengthens very slightly above the 12th fret....

If that is so - is it possible? - it would explain why (to me) there seems to be more room above the 12th fret on my Gibsons than on my Fenders.

I am no expert but I'm sure you'll get some replies on this one!

That wouldn't make sense, because scale length is determined from back of the nut to center of 12th fret. Fenders Strats i.e. are 25.50" scale and when measured from back of nut to center of 12th fret it is exactly 12.75" x 2 = 25.50" the exact scale that Fender says it is. Also PRS, Ibanez, Martin, etc scales are exactly what they advertise them to be. I just know the Gibson Low E String when measured fully from back of the nut to the saddle when intonated properly is very close if not right on at 24.75" Guess I will ask Gibson and see if I get a reply.

I thought the scale length was measured from the front of the nut to the low e string saddle. No?

Basically it should be twice the distance between the fretboard side of the nut and the crown of the 12th fret, respectively twice the length between zero fret and 12th fret crowns, but as pointed out in the video linked above, Gibsons and Martins are more complicated.

String lengths between nut and bridge include compensations and therefore exceed the scale defined by design.

I thought the scale length was measured from the front of the nut to the low e string saddle. No?

Id say youd measure just above the G string... Cos the middle is the only area where the scale length should be exact... The top E side gets moved nearer the neck and the low E side gets moved back from the neck a bit to compensate for string gauge... So the G is sitting right in the middle.

But the official way to measure it is from the edge of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret and double it.. which again I would measure in the middle of the fretboard.

Yeah, that is correct. I was saying back of the nut when looking from headstock to bridge, front of the nut when going from bridge to nut, and clearly as capmaster put it, the fretboard side of the nut. Sorry for the confusion.

I would have thought to measure from the nut to the 12th and then 12th to the center of the bridge's stud/screw on a TOM/Nashville bridge.. since you can't measure the saddles since they're there to adjust intonation of the individual instrument.

Life according to StweMac

http://www.stewmac.c..._Explained.html

Gibson

The Gibson 24-3/4" scale is also very common, but it is also the most confusing of all scale lengthsthis is because it rarely ever measures out to be 24-3/4 inches! This scale has gradually changed over the past fifty or so years due to changes in production equipment.

gibson_timeline.gif

Here's a video worth viewing:

That was really interesting. It hurt my head with all those numbers though. :)

I don't really care what the exact scale length is, we are talking such small differences here.. As long as it works im happy :)

Eracer Team post is very interesting!

So could it be this? We are talking 1/4" maximum, yes?

Suppose the scale length is 24.50" but allowing for bridge saddle 1/4" backward travel then it's 24.75?

Just an idea - have not watched the video yet.

Archived