Gibson Brands Forums

Microphonic Pickups

Rhandy

Hi

I have one Gibson Les Paul STANDARD smart wood series, not exotic, or studio versions.

Carved maple top (plain)

Mahogany back

490R & 498T pups

Gold hardware

Cream bindings

Cream pup rings and no pickguard

Chechen fingerboard (instead of rosewood) with trapezoid inlays.

Tune-o-matic bridge with Stopbar.

Antique Natural finish.

Tuss rod cover with "Smart Wood" written on it.

2016-03-23%2012.09.08.jpg?raw=1

One day I change pickups cover and I have microphonic issue, I go to one Luthier and he replace original covers and wax pickups, issue is solved.

A few days ago I put guitar in one music store for make Set Up, and guitar comes again microphonic.

I remove pickups and are originals, says GIBSON USA on back. I wax pickups again, but they still microphonic.

I re-solder all connections.

But When I open tone knobs , guitar makes hiss and noisy.

Particular on HI Gain , Lead channels , pickups capture everything. if knock on the body of the guitar, and in the pots you listen everything.

????????????

Both your pickups are supposed to be wax potted (not all are). Are you saying they were re-potted by you and/or luthier?

http://store.gibson.com/490r-modern-classic-neck/

http://store.gibson.com/498t-hot-alnico-bridge/

Your pickup covers are nickle? or at least metallic by the looks of them so they should be soldered on.

Something went wrong during your last set up. Contact the music store and tell them of your problem.

I am not a luthier, but you are either getting an earth problem or your pickups are microphonic as you report.

It should be easiest to check out the earth 1st I should think.

Hello Rhandy.

It would be very helpful to know what exactly they did in that shop.

If you only asked for a set up why did they touch the electronics or pickups?

Did they replace something, capacitors or potenciometers for example?

By the way your guitar looks awesome!

Pickups are potted in first by Luthier, because I remove covers for put others. but luthier decide put again originals, because the others doesnt match with poles.

My original covers are gold. like this ones http://store.gibson.com/490r-modern-classic-neck/ with gold cover.

I ask in store and just tell me your guitar is only cleaned and adjusted on truss rod, bridge and intonation.

Today I remove pickups, I check ground conection on bridge, and is good. I put one better cable 4 wire with more shield for connect pickup switch and pickup volume pots.

Capacitors inside are "203m" = 20uf each.

I check with my mmutimeter, but only read about 16,4 uf. But could be accuracy on multimeter or not.

all pots are original.

2016-03-25%2020.34.49.jpg?raw=1

This Picture dont have pickups connected. I remove for analyse and measure.

DC resistance is good on both. 7.75kohm neck, 13.83Kohm bridge.

2016-03-25%2020.46.28.jpg?raw=1

I have perafin and bees wax for pot pickups. I see method on youtube. on this site. http://crimsonguitars.com/how-to-wax-pot-pickups/

I should pot again with covers on pickups, or I should remove covers first and put again?

A good rule of thumb is that if you have to ask this much about potting pickups you shouldn't be potting pickups. Find somebody that knows what they are doing and pay them to do it.

rct

To my impression the trouble began with removing the stock pickup covers. Sacrificing function for looks is no good deal I think.

By the way, 203 on the capacitor says 20 * 103 pF or 20,000 pF or 20 nF or 0.020 µF.

hello, where are you from and what is your original language? if your having trouble with your wiring I'd just rewire it to make sure. Clean all the slag off, double check all the grounds and leads. hmm.. There's a few possibilities, the pickup might be damaged, it's not wired correctly or there is interference somewhere along the chain. Do you have the guitar around florescent lights? and what's the Electrical rate where your at in the US it's 110 V, 60 Hz. Sometimes Florescent lights and odd electrical rates can have weird effects on equipment. and if you post another picture of your control cavity with full view.

Archived