Gibson Brands Forums

kathleen edwards

jefleppard

this woman is hot, canadian, plays an old gibson and writes fantastic songs. i saw her tonight in detroit. this clip is from 2 nights ago in cincinnati but exactly the way i saw it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Iwrm06QDaI

her back up was another fine young songwriter/multi-instrumentalist named clare burson who is playing violin in the song above.

http://www.myspace.com/clareburson

I'm from the same town as Kathleen and Jim Bryson was in my very first band about 25 years ago.

Not the best quality version of this song' date=' but it has the lyrics under "more info"...

[/quote']

jim bryson's guitar tone makes me weak. he plays an sg w/vibrato arm through a smallish tube amp and drives it just a touch. with a little reverb he gets the sweetest tone. here she is doing a merle haggard tune. enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V6Oi4Bauhs&feature=channel

JG - ya gotta go! she's amazing. her gibby sounds great, too. bring your old 45. they look like they've had similar lives!

i'm not presenting her show so i doubt i'd get access to show her the guitar. i worked with dar williams and joshua radin last night. there was a lovely 1959 LG-1 on stage that jesse harris played and josh had a killer '57 J45. dar had a huss and dalton and a collings. nice guitars all. wish i'd thought to bring my camera.

Saw Kathleen at a small outdoor concert in Winter Park summer before last. Great concert. There was a storm passed by off to the west a bit and like 3/4 of the crowd left (free concert). We stayed. You could tell the storm was not going to come our way. Kathleen said something about "chickens" in a kidding way. Hey, she was the one onstage with metal and electrical equipment. :-)

Her albums in order:

Failer

Back to Me

Asking for Flowers

Never tire of them, as they are great. Highly recommended.

Now, the obligatory pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I saw Kathleen at a very intimate setting, The Grey Eagle, in Asheville, North Carolina last summer. Killer show. Her husband, who was playing lead electric, is also an astonishing talent. One of my favorite tunes of hers, Back to Me, is a must download for anyone who wants a good introduction to her songwriting and singing talent. If she's ever in your neck of the woods, do yourself a favor and catch her live.

Her real ace in the hole is her guitarist and boyfriend(?). He's a wonderfully musical lead player.

Yeah, she's cute, but she has the standard urban Ontario female face. There's plenty `o chicks like her if you're into it. Canay-jan.

There was a guitar in those pics? Guess I am really getting old.

But yeah, I do agree that Gibsons, for whatever reason, seem to get more beautiful with age and the effects of time spent on the road. Plus, there is always something special about a guitar on which every nick, gouge and dried tobasco sauce stain is a memory.

even though she's a senator fan, i want her.

two more great songs. man can she write.

in state - i was screaming "girlfriend, dont throw that lil fender out that window!!"

back to me - i got moves i never use, i got ways to make you come.....back to me. clever.

check out "westby" - a song about a young hooker.

when i saw her, this old, stalker perv guy in the back kept yelling for this one and she kept saying no. finally, she gave in, singing it right to him, staring him down the whole time like she was giving a victim impact statement. when she was done she said "you'd better give me a f'n standing ovation for that, buddy." great moment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg6EZf_ACFM

jim bryson's guitar tone makes me weak. he plays an sg w/vibrato arm through a smallish tube amp and drives it just a touch. with a little reverb he gets the sweetest tone. here she is doing a merle haggard tune. enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V6Oi4Bauhs&feature=channel

What's funny is that back when I played with Jim (we were about 15 - 16) he was strictly keyboards and into new wave type stuff. This would have been around 1982-83. It'd be funny to see him doing Merle Haggard now...

I recently saw her at the El Rey in Los Angeles. It was an acoustic show and she was playing her old Southern Jumbo all night, the best sounding acoustic I've heard live in a long time.

Here's the interesting thing... I was wondering what pickup she had because it sounded so great, and to my surprise, she uses a Fishman Matrix. Interesting...

I recently saw her at the El Rey in Los Angeles. It was an acoustic show and she was playing her old Southern Jumbo all night' date=' the best sounding acoustic I've heard live in a long time.

Here's the interesting thing... I was wondering what pickup she had because it sounded so great, and to my surprise, she uses a Fishman Matrix. Interesting...[/quote']

wow. i didnt know that. thanks. her live sound is fantastic.

• 3 months later...

bump because Kathleen is amazing. I only know of her because I saw her doing Six O'Clock News on Letterman a few years ago and was blown away. But all three of her albums are awesome.

And yes Jim Bryson has just about the best guitar tone on earth. Pure Vox AC30 sweetness.

Archived