Gibson Brands Forums

My J-45 Banner reissue

rdnzl

John,

Have you ever compared a J45 Legend to your guitar? Or have you compared yours to Eldon's original.

Dave

Dave,

Alas, that one's not mine. It was one of two that friends loaned me to loan to Gibson (I also sent 2 of my guitars). Imagine my state of mind when 9 months or so into the project, folks at Gibson Montana informed me that they didn't know the whereabouts of the guitars I'd lent them! (They did find and return the guitars, though they were in a very dried-out state.)

I've not done an in-hand comparison. When I was at Gibson HQ in Nashville to review and photograph the WWII-era shipping ledgers, Gibson did kindly lend me the prototype of the L-00 Legend based on Leroy Parnell's 1937 L-00. I thought it a fine guitar.

I've also been impressed with Gibson's "copies" of the WWI-era guitars that I lent them

Looks great!

Can someone remind us of the differences between that guitar and my J45 (Standard)?

BluesKing777.

Tapered headstock

3 on plate tuners

Big beefy Thick neck

19 fret neck vs 20 on std and TV

Rectangular vs belly up bridge on std and TV

Cloth brace reinforcement strips and side stays

The brown finish on the mahogany is different, warmer more transparent burnt umber brown rather chocolate like std and TV

Different bracing ...punchy quick response dry but sweet

I have the Banner reissue and the mahogany LG-2 (1) from John's Kalamazoo Gals work. Love them both. Most of all my J-45 banner reissue.. It is my partner for life. For me...nothing compares.

Hope yours works out the same for you, rdnzl....congratulations on a nice guitar.

Here's Tony P. playing one

Is it different than one of the "One of 20" models?

How so?

I don't know where you got the one of twenty ? If yours is the one I think it is, then it is one of 50 that were made. The one I bought is the same as yours if yours is a 2013 model.

I don't know where you got the one of twenty ? If yours is the one I think it is, then it is one of 50 that were made. The one I bought is the same as yours if yours is a 2013 model.

Not too worried about how many, but was just wondering if there are differences.

This is the description of mine:

Gibson 1942 Banner J-45 Reissue 2013 Vintage Sunburst *1 of 20*

Specs

Body Style: Round Shoulder

Color: Vintage Sunburst

Body Wood: Solid Adirondack spruce top, solid premium mahogany back and sides

Neck: Premium mahogany

Machine Heads: Reproduction 1942 white button

Fingerboard: Madagascar rosewood

No. of Frets: 19

Large size neck (baseball bat--same as Legend)

Nut: Bone, 1.75" width

Bridge: Rectangular, Madagascar rosewood

Scale Length: 24-3/4"

Case: Reproduction "Red Line" hardshell

I don't know how many copies Gibson made of the WWII-era guitars that I supplied them for the Banner reissue project. Folks at Gibson originally told me that they planned on building 50, but never gave me actual production numbers. This is verbatim the only information I received after production began: "The status of the replicas is this: We did a '42 J-45, an LG-2 Mahogany and a Southern Jumbo. All are sold out."

I saw this one on Ebay and Reverb I believe. Was gassing for it, but just not the right time. It's so rare to get a 1.75 Gibby.

-I kinda saw this as a less expensive, more accessible version of a j-45 legend, which will likely be outta my league without trade-ins, etc.

What is the difference between the J-45 Legend and this re-issue? Just all hide glue construction?

rdnzl, does yours say 1 of 20 on the label ?

It says 1942 Banner J-45.

Tony's video shows him saying "red spruce top". This one is adirondack, as is what I thought they all would be. Thoughts?

Man oh man, let's face it, these are copies, although not exact in any way other than name. Don't get me wrong, modern Gibsons are miles ahead of current to 30 year old Martins. I have 2 Montana J's I've had for 20 years and won't part with them. My 1942 Gibson Southerner Jumbo and 1944 Gibson J 45 are what they are, and as much as as I like the Montana Gibsons there is no comparison. To even argue the point with an old fool would make you as much of a fool as "the old fool".

Tony's video shows him saying "red spruce top". This one is adirondack, as is what I thought they all would be. Thoughts?

Red spruce is another term for adirondack I believe.

Man oh man, let's face it, these are copies, although not exact in any way other than name. Don't get me wrong, modern Gibsons are miles ahead of current to 30 year old Martins. I have 2 Montana J's I've had for 20 years and won't part with them. My 1942 Gibson Southerner Jumbo and 1944 Gibson J 45 are what they are, and as much as as I like the Montana Gibsons there is no comparison. To even argue the point with an old fool would make you as much of a fool as "the old fool".

I'm not seeing any arguing.

I have one of the elusive Southern Jumbos copied from John's and it is my favorite guitar. Had a late 60''s "pencil neck" J45 back in the early 70's and that thing drove me crazy trying to squeeze my fingers between the strings. The Southen Jumbo's big beefy neck is a nice handful of wood. I notice SB slope shoulder gibsons are popular with Texas rhythm back up players in the fiddle contest scene. They seem to provide that fat mid range tone for the "sock" style. Also like no binding on the neck .. binding looks like an extra set of strings to me. I believe Les Paul felt the same., I also have an L00 Legend (see avatar), This has the true V neck, big and sharp, unlike all the other L00's I tried when searching...and fantastic tone. Ithink Ren really went the extra mile on the

Legends for absolute acccuracy. Fantastic for what was considered a "budget guitar" back In the day. Fortunately some guy's wife was leaning on him to unload his guitars and I got a good deal. Won't be parting with either of these guitars. The thing I like about Gibson's is they're "funky". They just have some kind of mojo I don't feel from most other brands.

Swang on,

I have one of the elusive Southern Jumbos copied from John's and it is my favorite guitar. Had a late 60''s "pencil neck" J45 back in the early 70's and that thing drove me crazy trying to squeeze my fingers between the strings. The Southen Jumbo's big beefy neck is a nice handful of wood. I notice SB slope shoulder gibsons are popular with Texas rhythm back up players in the fiddle contest scene. They seem to provide that fat mid range tone for the "sock" style. Also like no binding on the neck .. binding looks like an extra set of strings to me. I believe Les Paul felt the same., I also have an L00 Legend (see avatar), This has the true V neck, big and sharp, unlike all the other L00's I tried when searching...and fantastic tone. Ithink Ren really went the extra mile on the

Legends for absolute acccuracy. Fantastic for what was considered a "budget guitar" back In the day. Fortunately some guy's wife was leaning on him to unload his guitars and I got a good deal. Won't be parting with either of these guitars. The thing I like about Gibson's is they're "funky". They just have some kind of mojo I don't feel from most other brands.

Swang on,

I agree - Gibson's have more 'soul' than about anything else I've ever played. There are great sounding examples from other makers, both large and small, out there - but they all eventually get sounding like they've been processed to death like white bread and synthetic cheese after I've been around 'em a while. Don't know if it's a matter of being more complex/multi-faceted or what - maybe the sound is just a bit more raw. I can almost get that vibe from my old Guild D-35, but not quite.

All Adirondack is red spruce but not all red spruce is Adirondack. Adirondack refers to the area the tree grew !

jt I bet your heart skipped a beat or two when Gibson told you they didn't know the whereabouts of two of the guitars you sent them!

Indeed!

Though, it wasn't just two guitars, but all four that I'd provided, two of which belonged to generous friends. My heart skipped more beats for those guitars that weren't mine!

Archived