Gibson Brands Forums

Technical difficulties

bassetman

After a shipping disaster with the J185 I ended up with this little number on my vacation. Very pleasantly surprised on how nice the J35 is. Setup from the box is pretty high but I will leave it till I get home and it settles in at my humidity......very much higher here on the coast. Tuners are very stiff , very very stiff . I will likely put some grovers on to save my fingers.

image.jpg11_zpsunmdhtad.jpg

image.jpg12_zpsl0bljnq3.jpg

Shoot them with a little dry lubricant through the lube hole. Those tuners often have the opposite problem.

Be careful with the stuff or it will go everywhere. I sometimes find it easier just to remove the tuners to lubricate them. Tri-Flow is one brand I have used with good results. You can get it at almost any bicycle shop.

Try to keep it off the guitar's finish.

Wait. What? Did I miss the "shipping disaster" with your J185? I know that you were really looking forward to getting the guitar. What happened??? [confused]

Yes. Sorry to hear about that. What happened with the '185?

Edit:

Oh yeah, right. Got so distracted wondering what had befallen the J-185, I forgot to post some corroborating info about the Tri-Flow that Nick was suggesting. One advantage to open gear tuners- you can get to them should something go wrong. There are some good ideas in this Lutherie.Net article for older open-style tuners:

Tuner tune-up

Also- is/are your troublesome tuner(s) difficult to turn with the string slack? After trying the lube, you could try turning the tuner a while with one of those string winder tools.

If the tuners are opem geard there should be a tension adjustment screw in the center. If so, simply loosen it a bit.

Lars

Unfortunately Lars, photo 2 shows the tuners as closed back Kluson-style tuners.

Edit:

However- if the Tri-Flow/string winder doesn't work, there is always the option of removing the tuner, bending back the tabs that hold the cover on the tuner plate, making any adjustments to the screw that holds the cog gear, and see if that gets you there.

Cover tab on some dreamy old Tulips:

31d852f3-e20b-4d2a-970d-9b6797f7e5e6_zpsyx2bwhqe.png

That j185 had several features I really liked that were particular to that one guitar. Most of the black ones are too dark for my liking.....oh well not to be . The j35 is getting better as I make friends with it. It has a very different sound from the J45. Overall very happy with it.....how do you not like a nice guitar?

;)

It was crushed to death in shipping. Never even made it to Washington.

This made me wince.

Despite not owning one; the J-185 is a favourite, which makes it worse for me to read! So very sorry about your troubles, but NHGD one the J-35!

I have bid hands and it fits me well, so I would say the neck is on the larger size. I am finally home. In Comparing the J35 to my j45 Koa they sound and feel VERY different. J35 sounds a bit more mid range and a "mellow" feeling. The J45 is "sharper" projecting the highs better but with a different "fullness" to the sound......the 45 also has an ivory saddle and bone pins. A good compliment to the growing GAS addiction....is it a bad sign when you assign a room to just guitar cases?

• 2 weeks later...

Really getting fond of this J35. Made a few tweaks on the setup including an Ivory saddle. The slight new "stiffness" is fading away . Becoming a very relaxing sittin on the porch guitar. I loved the "gritty" description from the j35 comparison thread. The old gals at the senior center love the fire stripe pick guard and the natural top. Sounds awesome playing "Ghost riders" around fire or sing a longs with the kindergarten class. Looking forward to years with this thing.

Archived