Gibson Brands Forums

Building speed

daveinspain

"...smooth fluent 32nds along about 130 beats per minute" - let me get this right. A 32nd means 8 notes per beat and you are doing this at 130bpm already? 1040 notes per minute?

I have been playing guitar for over 41 years and I'll never, never get that fast. Don't want to and I wouldn't even try. 16ths at 120bpm is hard and fast enough for me in practice.

No wonder you can't play at all because you MUST have completely strained all the relevant tendons and muscles in your left arm and hand. It will recover...if you give it time.

i cant play scales that fast, but i was up/down picking in 16ths and using hammer ons and pull offs in between, which yes made 32nds, using 1st 3rd and pinky fingers. This was just during my own leads and not for multiple measures, maybe one or two... but scales i have to slow down more than half to play accurately. but right now i cannot even play a scale, at any speed, hand just wont cooperate with my brain.

I STAND CORRECTED YOU ARE RIGHT I MEANT 16THS I PICK THE 8TH NOTES ADD THE 16THS MY BAD... IT IS A 1 E & A 2 E & A COUNT

I STAND CORRECTED YOU ARE RIGHT I MEANT 16THS I PICK THE 8TH NOTES ADD THE 16THS MY BAD... IT IS A 1 E & A 2 E & A COUNT

Yes I was just thinking about it...you'd sound like Paul Gilbert with the electric drill.... [laugh]

Hope it clears up but give it time.

Yes I was just thinking about it...you'd sound like Paul Gilbert with the electric drill.... [laugh]

Hope it clears up but give it time.

great, it would be original... i bet nobody has that sound... i could pioneer a new genre of music, maybe gibson can customize a guitar with an electric drill built right in it, a druitar... with the new roachbucker!

but it would need to be playable without needing my left hand for fretting notes. i been thinking i should pull a jimi and flip it upside down, string it backwards and glue a pick to my left thumb and start over from the top. and if that dont work i could always get a gig at some giant festival and just burn the instrument on stage.

Have you heard dragonforce through the fire (flames? something like that)? for speed, thats about the fastest i have heard although al di meola, (spelling) has master speed as well.

1474925831[/url]' post='1802233']

i was just starting to learn to build speed and strength and smooth fluent 32nds along about 130 beats per minute with my own leads, (not yet that fast on scales), but getting better everyday playing allot. Then about 2 weeks ago i woke up from a poor sleeping position on my left arm and lost control of my left hand and finger movement. I lost all strength. Now i able to form a fist but not yet fully closed. I am barely able to play anything at all or even fret a note with my first finger. let alone play any exercises. I feel helpless. I am not in pain, i just cannot get my fingers to work.... i am super pissed off about it. Has this ever happen to any of you?

Yeah, it's called Arthritis! Lolmsp_flapper.gif hurts to make a fist, fingers don't move like you want, and talk about the pain, it's very Painfull. msp_scared.gifI think my better days are in warm weather and the worst days, winter. That's when it starts acting up. When it does act up if I accidentally bump my knuckles on something, even lightly it about puts me on my knees in tears.

Yeah, it's called Arthritis! Lolmsp_flapper.gif hurts to make a fist, fingers don't move like you want, and talk about the pain, it's very Painfull. msp_scared.gifI think my better days are in warm weather and the worst days, winter. That's when it starts acting up. When it does act up if I accidentally bump my knuckles on something, even lightly it about puts me on my knees in tears.

I have osteoarthritis in both thumbs. I have adapted my playing to minimise thumb use.

As for taking time out due to hand injury, I broke a finger once. It took more than a year to get back any significant use. That finger remains a minor problem.

I can suggest 2 things.

1/ Get some advise from a doctor.

2/ Stick with it, and do what you can for as long as you can.

1475046698[/url]' post='1802586']

I have osteoarthritis in both thumbs. I have adapted my playing to minimise thumb use.

As for taking time out due to hand injury, I broke a finger once. It took more than a year to get back any significant use. That finger remains a minor problem.

I can suggest 2 things.

I picked number two. Doc has already told me, nothing he can do till I decide on surgery. Not complaining though, just joking around abit. My fingers move about the speed of trying to play "Wipe Out" by the surfaris and not sure if I'm really at the soundtrack speed yet, so that's good enough for me.

1475046698[/url]' post='1802586']

I can suggest 2 things.

I picked number two. Doc has already told me, nothing he can do till I decide on surgery. Not complaining though, just joking around abit. My fingers move about the speed of trying to play "Wipe Out" by the surfaris and not sure if I'm really at the soundtrack speed yet, so that's good enough for me.

Sorry to hear about your arthritis. Thankfully that is not what my issue is, at least not yet. I am hoping that i never get arthritis. I am 99% sure i slept in a position that cause me to compress a nerve. As long as i keep it from being compressed further, it should continue to heal. Tomorrow is two weeks and im at about 88% now, (compared to 5% or so when i woke up that day). Otherwise i could permanently damage the nerve and that would be it.

• 2 weeks later...

Roach: sounds like what happened to Dave Mustaine, and that was a long, arduous recovery. You need to have a doctor check it out.

i just read about that injury and it seems it is exactly the same, only i think that his was more severe, but 3 weeks im still unable to play. i read he didnt have any feeling in his hand for 5 months. That would be freaky if your profession was based on playing guitar like his. It is freaky anyway.

Seems like, if i had money, a good time to take my lp to have the frets fixed.

Anyone have some advice or know some good exercises to build speed and strength in your fretting fingers? Maybe some links for on line help?

So did you try any of this?

Hows it working out..

Archived