Gibson Brands Forums

Amp pairings

krock

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've been online and even longer since I've posted. Hope you're all well.

I had the chance today to try out some of my amps (Blackheart handsome devil with greenback and Vox Ac4hw with blueback. Both with nos mullard valves) in a stereo set up. It seems to be a fantastic combination. The blackheart having the marshall style compression goes well with vox chime for blues and rock.

It got me wondering, what other hidden gem stereo rigs are you guys running?

2016-09-26%2012.16.28.jpg

It got me wondering, what other hidden gem stereo rigs are you guys running?

Welcome back! I love stereo rigs - especially a couple of low wattage screamers like you are using there. I've been know to gig with these two old Princetons (a 68 and a 69).

IMG_4590_2_1.jpg

Welcome back! I love stereo rigs - especially a couple of low wattage screamers like you are using there. I've been know to gig with these two old Princetons (a 68 and a 69).

That's an awesome set up. Do you set the amps up the same or differently? I love princeton's and have looked to buy one myself but in the UK it's difficult to find vintage ones such as yours without paying a fortune

I love princeton's and have looked to buy one myself but in the UK it's difficult to find vintage ones such as yours without paying a fortune

Twins are cheaper because they're big and heavy.

Don't tell anybody, but.....

EDIT

Here's my current setup in stack form. It's an Orange AD50 Custom Shop and a 1968 Fender Bandmaster Reverb, both going into an Orange PPC412 cab which has 4x12" Celestions. I use a Morley A/B switch pedal that allows either one or both working together. The Orange is a great amp for leads but has no reverb so the Bandmaster is a great compliment. The only downside is the weight. It doesn't leave the music room too often. My little Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber with 1x12" is much more portable.

New%20Stack_zpsrpirjxy1.jpg

Here's my current setup in stack form. It's an Orange AD50 Custom Shop and a 1968 Fender Bandmaster Reverb, both going into an Orange PPC412 cab which has 4x12" Celestions. I use a Morley A/B switch pedal that allows either one or both working together. The Orange is a great amp for leads but has no reverb so the Bandmaster is a great compliment. The only downside is the weight. It doesn't leave the music room too often. My little Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber with 1x12" is much more portable.

Ive not played the custom shop oranges before. I have previously tried a rocker very which was great. I think you're the first person to call a mesa portable. Mine (seen in my original post below the vox) weighs a tonne

That's an awesome set up. Do you set the amps up the same or differently?

Is one a reverb and the other not, pup?

Dub's spot on. The '68 has reverb and the '69 does not. I do set them the same, but they end up sounding a little different. The Princeton Reverb circuit uses the unused half of the reverb tube to provide an extra gain stage - the non-reverb circuit doesn't have that extra gain stage. Therefore, while the reverb model breaks up around 5, the non-reverb circuit stays clean all the way to 10.

Dub's spot on. The '68 has reverb and the '69 does not. I do set them the same, but they end up sounding a little different. The Princeton Reverb circuit uses the unused half of the reverb tube to provide an extra gain stage - the non-reverb circuit doesn't have that extra gain stage. Therefore, while the reverb model breaks up around 5, the non-reverb circuit stays clean all the way to 10.

And you only have to use one amps tremolo to get amazing depth of field.....love it... [thumbup]

@Dub - I'd never use both on a gig now unless I had help! But it's my fanciest setup so...I set it up. Not often, because of neighbours.

I have used each separately and the master vol on the silverface (it's a Dual Showman) would be set to...hmm..5 to start on a smaller gig, but I'd put the pre-vol to about the same 1st. I never use 'bright', that's the razor's edge.

I might take that one out again a bit more, but the Twin II is so damn heavy I need to get a trolley and have to be very careful lifting it.

Some years ago now I completely ripped/pulled my right ribcage muscles (or whatever they are) when I picked it up wrong. Months to recover.

You won't have to worry about that for at least another 30 years! [laugh]

Ive not played the custom shop oranges before. I have previously tried a rocker very which was great. I think you're the first person to call a mesa portable. Mine (seen in my original post below the vox) weighs a tonne

The Custom Shop Orange is cool. It has a switch on the back that makes it either a 50W Class AB or a 30W ClassA. Up to about 3/4 volume, the 30W is actually louder than the 50W. Above that the 50W pulls way ahead. My Mesa is a small single 12" speaker 50W combo. Only weighs about 40 lb. and it keeps up just fine with Fender Hot Rod and Blues Devilles with 4 -10's. It's a great gigging amp for most situations that I get in to.

Same for my '68 Bandmaster Reverb. I love the way it breaks up around 5.

Archived