Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-50 anyone???

SkyRider

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a at the same time plain and hyper impressive slope there.

I don't have 50's but a trio of 45's and they are magnificent acoustics - in a way 'better' than the squares.

A guy who realized this pretty early on is R. McTell, who I zoomed in on recently. He had his since a young man and insists calling it a J-45.

Here's a rag-picking-tune, from 10 years after he got it.

He says he owns about 6 slopes, but no one comes near the first. Thus - and in spite of other guitars/Gibsons in the herd - he still plays the sweetheart a lot - so much in fact that is has been through several modification and facelifts. Recently a new neck.

But check this clip and enjoy how close he is to the guitar. A fine example of how man and machine to develop together.

1976 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6evjH_Oh4

And hep for your personalized tr-cover. Like that detail a lot.

What a at the same time plain and hyper impressive slope there.

I don't have 50's but a trio of 45's and they are magnificent acoustics - in a way 'better' than the squares.

A guy who realizewd this pretty early on is R. McTell, who I zoomed in on recently. He had his since a young man and insists calling it a J-45.

Here's a rag-picking-tune, from 10 years after he got it.

He says he owns about 6 slopes, but no one comes near to the first. Thus - and in spite of other guitars/Gibsons in the herd - he still plays the sweetheart a lot - so much in fact that is has been through several modification and facelifts. Recently a new neck.

But check this clip and enjoy how close he is to the guitar. A fine example of how man and machine to develop together.

1976 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c6evjH_Oh4

And hep for your personalized tr-cover. Like that detail a lot.

There's not that many folks who can fingerpick using all five fingers. It's a shame he's not better known. I still love his "Streets of London".

It's a shame he's not better known. I still love his "Streets of London".

Ditto here - and I still play it once in a while.

McTell tells that he feel blessed to have been the one who took this song down as the melody is already there to hear in the chords.

I see what he means, , , but that's his 'lucky' moment of genius right there.

The tune is pretty easy to pick up, but there is a dangerous point in the middle of the chorus between and say for you that the sun don't shine and the next line.

A piece of trivia informs us it was originally written in Paris, , , inspired by French melodic folklore. Aha. . .

Ditto here - and I still play it once in a while.

McTell tells that he feel blessed to have been the one who took this song down as the melody is already there to hear in the chords.

I see what he means, , , but that's his 'lucky' moment of genius right there.

The tune is pretty easy to pick up, but there is a dangerous point in the middle of the chorus between and say for you that the sun don't shine and the next line.

A piece of trivia informs us it was originally written in Paris, , , inspired by French melodic folklore. Aha. . .

For any that don't know the song, here it is. First recorded in 1969, but not released until a few years later.

For any that don't know the song, here it is. First recorded in 1969, but not released until a few years later.Streets of London
Link isn't working here -

This is the first.

1969 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re6AarcPGj4 (though it says 1972, it's probably a mistake - the 72 was the big one)

They later recorded a more bombastic version with a whole orchestra - and in lower key.

OP here. Just realized this J-50 does not have any serial stamped on back of headstock. I do see the serial on label in the sound hole and on neck block. Anyone confirm if this is typical or if you've see one without serial on back of headstock???

Thanks

OP here. Just realized this J-50 does not have any serial stamped on back of headstock. I do see the serial on label in the sound hole and on neck block. Anyone confirm if this is typical or if you've see one without serial on back of headstock???

Thanks

If it's ink-stamped on the neck block, that's OK. This is one of Gibson's quirks, depending on the period the guitar is supposed to represent. In your case, the guitar would be representative of post-1954 up to mid-60's guitars. No stain on the mahogany, batwing pickguard, block logo, and 20-fret neck. In that period, there would have been an ink-stamped FON on the neck block, no label, and nothing stamped on the back of the headstock. Not quite sure when the double rosette ring came in, but either in the late 1950's or early 1960's on the J-45 and J-50.

It's a lovely guitar, by the way.

Thanx, and yes, I heard that one, but are YOU aware this video clips between the 2 versions by the 2:39 mark ?

Hard to miss, since there's a change in key. I find it a bit curious, since both versions would appear to be well within his vocal range. Not quite sure why he did it.

There are actually at least three different versions spliced together in the video I posted. You can tell, because he plays at least three different guitars. That old J-50 of his looks pretty good to me, although I understand there is now a Martin artist guitar with is name on it.

Yes great clip , I've had the pleasure of seeing Ralph play live several times since the 70s and have been a fan since then. The last time was a few years ago on the Island and each time I see him play I come away totally blown away by his playing and vocal skills . His original J50 is an awesome sounding guitar . His website is brilliant and within he gives detailed explanations of most of his well known songs and how they came to be written . Thanks for posting

J50 is my go to. Love mine, although it's a "modern classic". I did change the Grover roto tuners for Golden Age Restoration Tuners. Mine loves Masterbilt PB lights and Martin Retro Lights as well. Congrats!

What year is your J-50?

Is the serial stamped on back of headstock?

Thanks

Hard to miss, since there's a change in key. I find it a bit curious, since both versions would appear to be well within his vocal range. Not quite sure why he did it.

There are actually at least three different versions spliced together in the video I posted. You can tell, because he plays at least three different guitars. That old J-50 of his looks pretty good to me, although I understand there is now a Martin artist guitar with is name on it.

Yea, the last is obviously a contemporary performance in the same key as the huge production (played on a Yamaha).

Maybe the producer suggested to go down for the sake of the arrangement.

The original seems to have capo on the 3rd fret, the big is second, which made the song take off in the key of D - more suited for the mouth-harp also.

I've seen different recent clips where he plays on both positions

And definitely prefer the purist thing with its thin pricking ticketytic percussion. Then again it was presumably the giant that brought him safe home.

Hi just found this on YouTube, brings us right up to date . Again wonderful playing and a joy to listen to

Only confirms he's a man with mind-heart and soul deeply rooted in the music he delivers.

This 50 btw. is not the original first from the 60's.

He should make a little film where he shows us around his old new and new old guitars.

Hi just found this on YouTube, brings us right up to date . Again wonderful playing and a joy to listen to

But it's pretty solemn material, as it deals with the failed Easter Rising of 1916 in the battle for Irish independence.

By coincidence, I read a biography of Michael Collins this summer, as well as a detailed analysis of the Easter Rising. Not sure why this fascinates me so, since my ancestry is primarily Anglo/Scots. Maybe it was the sheer futility of the Rising at the time, but its significance in the long, ultimately successful battle for Irish independence. Maybe it's because my wife is half-Irish.

Heck, while we're talking J-50, my 1948 J-45 went through a sex change in 1970 and lived as a J-50 for about 40 years. The operation was successfully reversed in 2010.

blondeonblonde.jpg

And then there's Gillian Welch and her late 1950's J-50:

Gillian_Welch__zpsfesxpfi3.jpg

Zombywoof here has one of the earliest J-50's, from 1942 or 1943, as I recall

Archived