Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-50 anyone???

SkyRider

OP here.

Can someone confirm the authenticity of this guitar???

I have never seen a Gibson with no serial on the back of the headstock. As you can see from pics below, there are serial on the label and neck block. I did some Google search for J-50 in early 2000 and all I have found had serial stamped on the head. Why would mine not have the stamped serial?

Thank you very much!

image_zpslisjvsdf.jpeg

image_zps8fbkvkf9.jpeg

image_zpstd8nmdto.jpeg

image_zpsx3y1w8tb.jpeg

FAC965F2-8297-4274-B95A-6010FD1F4A4F_zpsg2j01ems.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's ink-stamped on the neck block, that's OK. This is one of Gibson's quirks, depending on the period the guitar is supposed to represent. In your case, the guitar would be representative of post-1954 up to mid-60's guitars. No stain on the mahogany, batwing pickguard, block logo, and 20-fret neck. In that period, there would have been an ink-stamped FON on the neck block, no label, and nothing stamped on the back of the headstock. Not quite sure when the double rosette ring came in, but either in the late 1950's or early 1960's on the J-45 and J-50.

It's a lovely guitar, by the way.

What's a FON number? Does it literally say "FON" followed by numbers? I ask because as you can see from photo does not have any "FON" . It only has numbers stamped on the neck block.

Thanks

What's a FON number? Does it literally say "FON" followed by numbers? I ask because as you can see from photo does not have any "FON" . It only has numbers stamped on the neck block.

Thanks

Modern Gibsons like yours have a serial number rather than the old Factory Order Number system. The serial number is eight digits, where the first two represent the year (2000, in your case), the next three are the day of the year (with December 31 being 365 in non-leap years), and the last three digits being the daily production sequence number (where 001 would be the first guitar stamped that day).

I have two modern Gibson acoustics which have the serial number ink-stamped on the neck block, and nothing on the back of the headstock, as would be typical of the production years the guitars represent. One is the L-00 Legend, which has only an ink-stamped neck block. The other is a 1943 SJ repro for Fuller's Guitar, which has an ink-stamped neck block and an orange label, exactly like yours.

Your guitar appears to be completely genuine, and in beautiful condition. Enjoy it.

Modern Gibsons like yours have a serial number rather than the old Factory Order Number system. The serial number is eight digits, where the first two represent the year (2000, in your case), the next three are the day of the year (with December 31 being 365 in non-leap years), and the last three digits being the daily production sequence number (where 001 would be the first guitar stamped that day).

I have two modern Gibson acoustics which have the serial number ink-stamped on the neck block, and nothing on the back of the headstock, as would be typical of the production years the guitars represent. One is the L-00 Legend, which has only an ink-stamped neck block. The other is a 1943 SJ repro for Fuller's Guitar, which has an ink-stamped neck block and an orange label, exactly like yours.

Your guitar appears to be completely genuine, and in beautiful condition. Enjoy it.

Maybe I'm missing something here , but is below not correct ?

Bozeman numbering is YXXXYDDD where:

Y = year

XXX = day of year

DDD = guitar stamped sequence for that day.

Making this a 2002 , on the 014th day of the year ....

Help 😐

Why J-50 not talked about compared to J-45?

I don't think there are as many, they certainly don't make very many anymore. But J-50 is the only acoustic that I ever talk about because that's all I have. :)

j50family.jpg

The one on the left is a 1965 with the original adjustable rosewood bridge/saddle. Got it almost two years ago and it's the only one I play anymore, the others spend most of the time in their cases. The middle one is a 1974 J-50 Deluxe that I got when it was new, it was my first acoustic. And that's a 2008 J-50 Modern Classic on the right that I got about three years ago.

As I said, the 1965 is by far my favorite - the skinny neck is just perfect for me. Lots of memories from the 1974, it's one of the few things that I still have from those years! The 2008 is nice enough, but I don't like the neck. It sounds like most of the other recent Gibsons to me, so the good thing is that it cured any GAS I had for a new Gibson, they just don't do much for me and I'm happy with what I've got. ;)

Y = year

XXX = day of year

Help

I understand that to be correct. FWIW on the guitar dater project they call the DDD the "Production Number".

I still own the missing link J-50. According to JT, the FON places it squarely in the batch of J-50s built in 1942. When it was, however, discovered that one of the book matched top pieces had been flip flopped, evidently somebody down the line decided to shoot a burst on it to cover up the mistake. So I guess that would make the guitar a J-47 1/2.

Y = year

XXX = day of year

Help 😐

You're right. My mistake.

Funny thing is, I got my first J-50 because it was the only acoustic that I could afford - not because it represented some kind of ideal to strive for. Think it cost about $350 which was a lot of money for me in 1974. And now we have come full circle with Gibson selling a limited edition for $3200 and a 1947 re-issue for $4000. Using the government's inflation calculator, $350 in 1974 is the equivalent of $1710 today. ;)

My 2002 J-45 Rosewood has the serial number stamped on the headstock.

Interesting that the OP's 2002 J-50 has it stamped on the neckblock.

Haven't previously seen that from the era around the early 2000s.

It really depends on the model, but even then, don't look for absolute consistency. We're talking Gibson here. In someone's mind, there is a reason for it all.

What is a J-50 TV (assume that means "true vintage")? What year? Don't think I've ever seen one of those...

TV is made to be similar to other TV ( ie. J45). Has Adirondack top, banner, white button tuners, bracing like AJ, hide glue, tortoise pick guard and gold script name plate. You've probably not seen one because, to the best of my knowledge, only three were made as a special order for Bailey Brothers in Birmingham. Since I spoke for the first before they were made, they even put my name on the oval as "made for J... D..." A fine punchy sound and a pleasure to play. 2012 just before they stopped doing "custom" orders. Thanks to Keith for this and my L00TV.

TV is made to be similar to other TV ( ie. J45). Has Adirondack top, banner, white button tuners, bracing like AJ, hide glue, tortoise pick guard and gold script name plate. You've probably not seen one because, to the best of my knowledge, only three were made as a special order for Bailey Brothers in Birmingham. Since I spoke for the first before they were made, they even put my name on the oval as "made for J... D..." A fine punchy sound and a pleasure to play. 2012 just before they stopped doing "custom" orders. Thanks to Keith for this and my L00TV.

Very cool! Pics??

In the Gibson area of origin, back in the day, the J-50 was more favored by Gibson employees and their cohorts than was the J-45. The 50's were considered to have a better selection of top wood 'cause, unlike J-45 tops, there was no option of hiding stuff under the sunburst.

• 1 month later...

In the Gibson area of origin, back in the day, the J-50 was more favored by Gibson employees and their cohorts than was the J-45. The 50's were considered to have a better selection of top wood 'cause, unlike J-45 tops, there was no option of hiding stuff under the sunburst.

Yes indeed, that was the name of the game for many years in Kalamazoo. Natural finish versions got the most attractive wood and were priced slightly higher than the same basic model in sunburst.

So unfortunately for me, my preference is natural finishes & on at least one occasion, I've paid dearly for it!

Archived