Gibson Brands Forums

The Difficulties of Innovating:

Searcy

I think Gibson is the best example of guitar players rejecting innovation. It doesn't take something as radical as the FireBird X to make the point. Something as simple as a non plastic nut or a richlite fingerboard sends shock waves through guitarist community. We have seen discussions here on this forum of how the use of larger strap buttons ruin the look of a Les Paul.

Well, for the dozen or two folks here who might care to debate over such things, quite possibly. does the wider world of players care? Who knows.

Then again, perhaps one man's innovation is another man's sales gimmick or unnecessary feature on any given new development.

I think Gibson is the best example of guitar players rejecting innovation. It doesn't take something as radical as the FireBird X to make the point. Something as simple as a non plastic nut or a richlite fingerboard sends shock waves through guitarist community. We have seen discussions here on this forum of how the use of larger strap buttons ruin the look of a Les Paul.

Well said Searcy

Innovation is not always called for...certainly not when you are aware of your customer base and what THEY want

Just the point that Searcy has made. Its us players that are looking backward.

Last year we punished Gibson for initiatives such as robot tuners, an adjustable nut and extra playing surface to accommodate vibrato etc.

They are responding to us when the blurb runs this way...

Period correct

real vintage spec on the most "original" Reissue yet

thinner True Historic Wet-Sanded Finish:

Vintage Looks and Feel

Authentic vintage dish profile

Designed and engineered based on the originals

And my favourite….

True Historic Plastics: Molecular level analysis delivers authentic vintage design

Archived