Gibson Brands Forums

Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards?

Rabs

Guest Farnsbarns

Talking of backwards. I once had sex backwards. Instead of coming I went.

There was a young man from Gwent...

Perhaps not on here.

Guest Farnsbarns

IMO calling film/foil and similar caps polarized would be a complete misnomer. Although you want to pay attention to the direction you solder them in, the "stripe side" may be connected to a + voltage, - voltage, or ground depending on the application. This is obviously not the case with polarized capacitors.

The reason I said "polarized" instead of "electrolytic" is that there are other polarized caps (tantalum, which is even more sensitive to reverse polarity), as well as bipolar electrolytic caps.

I understand what you mean, but I prefer to use the standard terminology rather than add my own interpretation to the word "polarized" (with regard to capacitors of course)

Sheesh, who'd have thought capacitors would be such a polarizing topic :rolleyes:[laugh]

Btw just to be clear farns, if we were chatting in person my tone would be that of a respectful, friendly debate. Not an angry argument

Now as to whether or not it makes a difference in a guitar tone circuit, I won't debate that. I just try to follow the standard practice.

Yes yes. Good honest debate all the way. I think tantalum caps are electrolytic. My understanding of "polarised" is simply that there is a correct polarity. We really are just using different terminology for the same things.

Archived