Gibson Brands Forums

Are Your Capacitors Installed Backwards?

Rabs

I didn't watch the video but I do know about this :P

The side with the stripe is called the "outer foil". Capacitors have a rolled up sheet of foil inside, and having the outer foil connected to the side with the closest potential to ground is ideal because the outer foil being grounded acts as a shield to the inner foil.

I didn't watch the video but I do know about this :P

The side with the stripe is called the "outer foil". Capacitors have a rolled up sheet of foil inside, and having the outer foil connected to the side with the closest potential to ground is ideal because the outer foil being grounded acts as a shield to the inner foil.

Hmmm.. its interesting... Because I know for a fact on some guitars I made some are facing one way and some the other... and at least one with the letters facing inwards I know sounds REALLY good... as I say, I may try some experiments with this...

Hmmm.. its interesting... Because I know for a fact on some guitars I made some are facing one way and some the other... and at least one with the letters facing inwards I know sounds REALLY good... as I say, I may try some experiments with this...

That's the key - experimenting. Trying it both ways - preferably recording them both - can help you choose. Sometimes "backward" sounds better. Just depends on the guitar and the cap.

That's the key - experimenting. Trying it both ways - preferably recording them both - can help you choose. Sometimes "backward" sounds better. Just depends on the guitar and the cap.

Ohh man it just never ends does it [rolleyes] :)

The Orange Drops are "supposed to" have the foil end to the right, like the thumbnail pic in the video. My experience is that about 80% of them do. And about 20% have the foil end to the left. So if you can't test them just install the right lead to the tone control and you're "likely" to be right.

So you got THAT going for you. [biggrin]

Great. 10 years of who can hear the direction of caps comin up. The internet. Always here to serve.

rct

Well at least this is a real thing. Guitarists didn't make it up, the people manufacturing the caps print the stripe on there for a reason.

But you know Jimmy Page got that tone with backwards caps. No way to get that TONE without bumblebeez installed backwards let's be real here

Guest Farnsbarns

These aren't electrolytic caps. No concern about explosions.

The idea that this makes a difference is [lol] worthy.

The cap is connected from the signal to ground in order to dump unwanted frequencies. Any interference picked up in the cap because it's backwards and less shielded is dumped to ground anyway.

It makes a difference only if the cap doesn't connect to ground and since they nearly always do in tone circuits it's nonsense. Definitely nonsense for guitars.

These aren't electrolytic caps. No concern about explosions.

The idea that this makes a difference is [lol] worthy.

The cap is connected from the signal to ground in order to dump unwanted frequencies. Any interference picked up in the cap because it's backwards and less shielded is dumped to ground anyway.

It makes a difference only if the cap doesn't connect to ground and since they nearly always do in tone circuits it's nonsense. Definitely nonsense for guitars.

I didn't suggest that these are polarized. The time when this would make more of a difference is obviously in an amplifier, but it is common practice to connect the outer foil to the side with the lower impedance.. In an amplifier this wouldn't necessarily be ground, it could be B+, or more commonly the plate of the previous gain stage. Which I'm sure you're already aware of anyway

Yeah the guy in the video is talking more about amps and high powered circuits than anything...

Its just id not heard of that before so when I saw it I wondered if it would make a difference to a guitar circuit...

I may try it just out of interest :)

Guest Farnsbarns

I didn't suggest that these are polarized. The time when this would make more of a difference is obviously in an amplifier, but it is common practice to connect the outer foil to the side with the lower impedance.. In an amplifier this wouldn't necessarily be ground, it could be B+, or more commonly the plate of the previous gain stage. Which I'm sure you're already aware of anyway

They are polarised in that there's a correct polarity. They're not electrolytic, that's different.

If what comes out of the cap is signal which is used then yes, it's arguable that the polarity matters because the foil may shield it but if the cap is a route to ground for unwanted signal then it makes makes not one iota of difference.

I think we're saying the same thing in different ways.

Rabs, honestly, save yourself the effort of experimenting. Physics dictates that it cannot make any difference for guitar tone caps.

Guest Farnsbarns

Just watched the video. When he's talking in the first half a lot of the examples he mentions have the capacitor connected to ground (the chassis) and therefore it still makes no difference. He also doesn't quite seem to understand the difference between impedance and resistance (at least if he does he is using the terms interchangeably anyway).

Some of his examples (plate to grid) do pass signal further into the circuit which theoretically does make a difference.

They are polarised in that there's a correct polarity. They're not electrolytic, that's different.

If what comes out of the cap is signal which is used then yes, it's arguable that the polarity matters because the foil may shield it but if the cap is a route to ground for unwanted signal then it makes makes not one iota of difference.

I think we're saying the same thing in different ways.

Rabs, honestly, save yourself the effort of experimenting. Physics dictates that it cannot make any difference for guitar tone caps.

IMO calling film/foil and similar caps polarized would be a complete misnomer. Although you want to pay attention to the direction you solder them in, the "stripe side" may be connected to a + voltage, - voltage, or ground depending on the application. This is obviously not the case with polarized capacitors.

The reason I said "polarized" instead of "electrolytic" is that there are other polarized caps (tantalum, which is even more sensitive to reverse polarity), as well as bipolar electrolytic caps.

I understand what you mean, but I prefer to use the standard terminology rather than add my own interpretation to the word "polarized" (with regard to capacitors of course)

Sheesh, who'd have thought capacitors would be such a polarizing topic :rolleyes:[laugh]

Btw just to be clear farns, if we were chatting in person my tone would be that of a respectful, friendly debate. Not an angry argument

Now as to whether or not it makes a difference in a guitar tone circuit, I won't debate that. I just try to follow the standard practice.

Archived