Gibson Brands Forums

1934 gibson jumbo demo

JuanCarlosVejar

I wonder how deep of pockets you have to have?

Probably pretty deep. Though liking it, I wouldn't dive that far to get it.

It's too specific for my taste and the right vintage 45 could beat it anytime - unless you want that particular old-Jumbo flavor.

Just my opinion - and still I'd love to try the thing

Probably pretty deep. Though liking it, I wouldn't dive that far to get it.

It's too specific for my taste and the right vintage 45 could beat it anytime - unless you want that particular old-Jumbo flavor.

Just my opinion - and still I'd love to try the thing

This pretty much is a Holy Grail in terms of jumbos to me.

I won't argue the legacy of the J 45 or the J 35 but I doubt you can find something that beats this 82 year old beast (or maybe I just like the vintage sound more than you)

JC

This pretty much is a Holy Grail in terms of jumbos to me.

I won't argue the legacy of the J 45 or the J 35 but I doubt you can find something that beats this 82 year old beast (or maybe I just like the vintage sound more than you)

Perhaps yes - they can get too vintage for my ears'n'feel.

It tends to lock some of them inside a sonic cage connected to a certain style and material.

I think many of the WW2 and post war 45's steer free of that. Can't remember what year Scott Nygaard's is from, but he has a fine example.

That said, I continue to like the J above ^

I think tpbiii here has several variants on this guitar.

It is magnificent, but perhaps quite a bit "rawer" than later guitars with this same body style. It may also be that the style of playing used by the guy from Norman's doesn't bring out the best in the guitar. It's nice to know that a guitar doesn't over-modulate when you really whack it with a flat pick, but it's not my style of playing.

Volume and balance were pretty impressive played with bare fingers.

Absolutely beautiful; just enough wear that you're not afraid of touching it (and a handful of errant strum scratches from a wild night, or an occasion of handing it to a kid or ...). At t = 3:36 just after showing the first fret divots as a reminder to trim those lefthand nails, what appears to be an equally original, and nicely cut nut.

Dare I say, the guitar almost sounds . . . tight (kept in a case, as a museum piece)? Maybe let the notes fall off a little before the next, or maybe I've just been spending more time in Rosewoodville. A nice demo showing the enthusiasm and knowledge of Acoustics as well as, no doubt, his knowledge of Electric guitars, but yes, Mr. Mark's choice of demo could search out where this guitar really shines- his Jimmy Page-ian chops fall into the trap of showing his stuff, rather than that of this old Jumbo, but when on Ventura Blvd. . .

I think tpbiii here has several variants on this guitar.

It is magnificent, but perhaps quite a bit "rawer" than later guitars with this same body style. It may also be that the style of playing used by the guy from Norman's doesn't bring out the best in the guitar. It's nice to know that a guitar doesn't over-modulate when you really whack it with a flat pick, but it's not my style of playing.

Volume and balance were pretty impressive played with bare fingers.

34 was the first year. We have two pretty similar guitars -- a 35 Jumbo and a 36 Jumbo35 (Trojan), which is basically the same guitar with less decoration. The JUMBO was not selling well, so they simplified the binding and reduced the price to $35. That model lasted from about Oct. 36 to maybe March of 37. We also have a 36 RSSD, which is the same body style but with two tone bars.

The J35 and the RSSD are indeed more raw than later variations (and the RSRG and AJ, which are rosewood). Our Jumbo is also very strong, but not quite so raw. This guitar has had a lot of work done to it -- many cracks repaired and even a bit of top restoration. It may be that transformed its perceive rawness to perceived power, but that is only speculation.

Ours is a player (so it can go out) and very flexible -- even outstanding as a bluegrass guitar. It gets played a lot.

Here is a picture from last month.

Us3_zpser3iox1v.jpg?1478470753743&1478470833474708680565&1478

Best,

-Tom

Archived