Gibson Brands Forums

Arm discoloration on top

MorrisrownSal

Looks like a fine guitar, dark patch aside, and if it sounds good and plays well - so what? It's not furniture, not like having a skid mark on a couch cushion or a deep scratch in the middle of the hood of somebody's Mercedes car. Play a guutar and it shows wear, one way or another. It's only natural, and - to me - making it into an issue makes about as little sense as divorcing the mother of your children because she has a few stretch marks. Besides, all guitars are inherently female☺

Have you peeked underneath to see if it's through?

This would be a big help in troubleshooting the cause. Any chance you could get some interior photos of the area? Kinda strange that from where we're standing, the discolored area appears to end where it runs into the lighter area in the grain.

Thanks guys... it looks like a defined-ish shape from afar, but closeup much less so...

I'm going to order virtuoso cleaner and polish it. If that doesn't work, oh well...

If Virtuoso can't get it off, I don't think anything can. I've been amazed with that stuff after having a spot on a used D-18 I picked up that naphtha did nothing for. Hope it works out for you.

It sounds like my energy will be wasted trying to correct this. And for sure, while this guitar is in excellent condition, it is clear it has been played.

I'll just enjoy playing it and ignore its cafe au lait spot.

Yeahh, , , way to go.

The guitar has personality. Besides it won't bother or distract you when you play.

Don't know about you, but I enjoy the sight of the guitars a lot while playing. The tuners, the fret-board, the burst, the tanned top etc. .

Btw. when looking at the picture, the CW seems much more hue-vivid than the Mart.

Yeahh, , , way to go.

The guitar has personality. Besides it won't bother or distract you when you play.

Don't know about you, but I enjoy the sight of the guitars a lot while playing. The tuners, the fret-board, the burst, the tanned top etc. .

Btw. when looking at the picture, the CW seems much more hue-vivid than the Mart.

Yes, all of that. But as Dave F had suggested, aren't you curious to see if it's on the inside, running up to, but not into, the lighter area of grain in the spruce(?).

Re: the CW- yes, lots of room reflections in the group photo. 'Could try turning the guitar upside down n' see if the right side still shows darker, as a bookmatched runout top would do.

Yes, all of that. But as Dave F had suggested, aren't you curious to see if it's on the inside, running up to, but not into, the lighter area of grain in the spruce(?).

I am - and as we know it isn't hard to check the inside.

Can't really be sure what's goin' on in there. My first guess is that there's no tint.

Sal ! down goes the mirror'n'light-expedition. We are waiting on the surface.

I am - and as we know it isn't hard to check the inside.

Can't really be sure what's goin' on in there. My first guess is that there's no tint.

Sal ! down goes the mirror'n'light-expedition. We are waiting on the surface.

I will play with the insides later. For now here is a quick exterior video:

Interesting, Sal. In the video, it almost looks like a natural grain run-out issue.

Yes, it does, doesn't it. The gloss finish appears to be completely intact and undisturbed, no matting or flattening in that area. Maybe it is something natural in the wood....... Hard to say from halfway across the country! Play it, Sal! Put your own marks on it!

I wood say it is just the wood itself. Whether it is run out or not doesn't really matter. Those varied shadings can occur without any run out.

Plus 1 -

Things like that can happen out there in the wild (or plantation).

This is a flat-sawn piece of spruce isn't it. Certain weather conditions could have caused it.

The tree might have had a dark season, , a gloomy side, , , , even a depression.

An already too drunk person could have emptied a bottle of gin by its roots - a resting chain-saw might have leaked petrol.

Another thing is that it looks a bit like a case of torrefaction, , , , which of course it isn't.

Long theme short : No prob.

Plus 1 -

Things like that can happen out there in the wild (or plantation).

This is a flat-sawn piece of spruce isn't it. Certain weather conditions could have caused it.

The tree might have had a dark season, , a gloomy side, , , , even a depression.

An already too drunk person could have emptied a bottle of gin by its roots - a resting chain-saw might have leaked petrol.

Another thing is that it looks a bit like a case of torrefaction, , , , which of course it isn't.

Long theme short : No prob.

Acoustic Guitar tops are quarter sawn.

Acoustic Guitar tops are quarter sawn.

Oh thanx for clearing that up - should have known from grain/rings. I frankly thought they came in both versions.

My theory is completely lost.

Guess back'n'sides (and necks ?) are flat-sawn then.

I don't think any part of a good acoustic is flat sawn.

You do sometimes see flat-sawn backs to show off highly-figured grain. Martin did a fair amount historically, particularly with Brazilian rosewood. There's a relatively small percentage of true quarter-sawn wood in the smaller-sized trees harvested today. There would simply be too much waste. That's one reason you see a lot of stumpwood used when it come to rarer tonewoods. Think "Mystic Rosewood".

1936AJb_zpsrp8h5ewa.jpg1935RSRGb_zpsnolqacil.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Looks like you had Mystic before it knew it's name

Here's a Mystic Nick Lucas I recently picked up. Looks like it could have came from the same tree

3_d7f5b049-8f8b-4ebb-8eb6-cf61ff8c7d54_zpsgg4q8lks.jpg

Pete... it's a 2011. I bought it off reverb, so I am not sure who owned it, and what they were like. It certainly seems to be where a bare forearm might rest, and maybe they guy had funky body chemistry... but its been played for sure. The look bothers me, but the sound does not. I am going to keep the guitar regardless...

I have a 2011 or 2012 HD28 (can't remember and too lazy to go look at it) and no discoloration, but the top has uniformly darkened very nicely given it's young age, but it's a dramatic change in color compared to a brand new one that looks almost white when side by side with mine. I don't wipe down my guitars, don't baby them, don't care about the 'haze' that develops on that area from my forearm, wear long sleeve, short sleeves, etc. I basically ride them hard and put them away wet so to speak but don't abuse them. With that said, I've owned electrics, both poly and nitro finishes that have had 'reactions' or changes in certain parts on the body. Just seems to happen with some guitars and not others for whatever reason. The particular variables that could react with a finish are mind boggling I'd think. Could be something the previous owner wore, like a lotion, medication, particular article of clothing or their body chemistry. I tend to take advantage of things like this when buying because they seem to be a turn off for many, and more of an opportunity for me! Plus it adds character and helps tell the guitars story throughout it's lifetime. For those who need a pristine, dent, ding and discoloration-free guitar they can be the ones who shell out big bucks for a brand new one. Kind of like my AJ. Always wanted one, but didnt want to shell out for a new one, and used ones from the "Ren Era' seem to command close to new prices, so I a found a 'Ren era' AJ previously owned by a well-known blues player that was his backup that suffered a neck break but had a perfectly done, professional repair and got it for half of what they were going for. Stuff like that doesn't bother me at all. If it bugs you I'd dump it, but like you said it sounds great and your happy with it, so if you can live with the discoloration hold onto it. I don't play my HD28 every day, but still love it because it's such a different sound from my AJ, and it always puts a smile on my face when I play it. Have it strung with some Martin MSP7100 Lifespans (I put lights on my dreds) and they compliment the guitar wonderfully.

People on forums like this tend to overreact and speculate and things get blown out of proportion, and almost all of the time those that are "worried" or "concerned" never get to see the guitar in person and inspect it themselves. Stuff happens. If it's structurally sound and doesn't have any issues, then who cares? As stated above if a player with a guitar like this can't stand it from a visual aspect, then sell it and get a shiny new one that you have 100% control over and know where it's been. These are guitars, and real musicians play the snot out of their instruments. Touring, travel, weather, seat, hot stage lights, etc., all take their toll! If the guitar is structurally sound, has a great set-up, plays well and sounds great, I value that over any kind of cosmetic blemish.

Archived