Gibson Brands Forums

'97 Early J-45

GoodFrequency

What can you guys tell me about this model J-45? Does anyone have experience with it? Apparently it has 'early' period bracing, nut width and soft V profile neck and is quite light, coming in at 4 lbs.

Also, how wary should I be of a headstock repair, even one that has been professionally repaired and refinished?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!!

What can you guys tell me about this model J-45? Does anyone have experience with it? Apparently it has 'early' period bracing, nut width and soft V profile neck and is quite light, coming in at 4 lbs.

Also, how wary should I be of a headstock repair, even one that has been professionally repaired and refinished?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!!

there was a 98 on ebay.. no cracks on the neck.. just lots of finish wear..

what you describe.. its a 500.00 guitars at best. to many issues

I've seen a few pro repaired headstocks. Luthiers will tell you it's one of the repairs they worry least about down the line.

Nevertheless, it has a significant impact on value, which has to be considered when buying or selling.

In the case of a vintage guitar, I might consider a guitar with a repaired broken headstock, if it's a properly-done job and the price reflects the repair. On a modern guitar, I would walk right past unless it was about half the price of a non-repaired equivalent guitar, and I was hurting for money.

The repair shouldn't interfere with the structural integrity of the instrument, assuming it was done professionally. The refin over the repair, again assuming professional work, is a nice attempt to preserve cosmetics - nothing more or less. On a guitar of that age, which has no vintage appeal and is therefore a player-grade to begin with, it would seem reasonable to knock off a few $ against the asking value of a similar model in pristine condition. If I were looking to buy, the sound and playability factors would concern me above all else. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for and what you decide is a fair price to pay. To tell you even an approximate dollar value would, I believe, be presumptious on my part. It mostly depends on the seller's asking price and your good judgment. If you happen to be the seller, your good judgment should influence the asking price as well.

They were spoken well of on the old use.net groups. Has a fuller neck profile and no onboard electronics, so (maybe) more lightly braced. 96-97 was a bounce-back year for Bozeman after a rough patch in 93-5. No collector value, tho, as noted. The going Reverb-Ebay asking is $12-1600. GC had a clean one several year ago for $900. Shop wisely.

I agree that a repaired headstock break, no matter how well done, will knock the value down a whole lot. I tend to like them though. Makes the guitar nice and affordable. I bought a 1959 ES-330 once with that repair. Got it for around 40% less than one in nice condition would have gone for.

Nevertheless, it has a significant impact on value....

Right. A good headstock repair might not give you any problems, but still, you should get a very large discount from what the same guitar without a headstock repair would cost.

Awesome guys, thanks for the input.

Think I've decided to stay away from it at the moment.

For the same price I can get a new or mint J-15 that already has pickup. All my guitars get used in a live setting, so I have to figure the cost of adding a pickup in as well.

Cheers!

Archived