Gibson Brands Forums

Busking.....................................

Todd Wilson

Any buskers here?

I live about 100 miles from New Orleans and have always thought it would be interesting one day to go set up in Jackson square or somewhere else around the French quarter and play for a few hours and see how much change I actually pick up.

For those not familiar with N.O....... street performers are part of the french quarter culture....... you've got something different on every corner, especially during the weekends of the spring and summer months.

I've always considered doing this for $nits and giggles, just wondering if anyone else has.................?????????????

I've busked a fair bit in the past...it's fun, and also a great way to toughen up your vocal cords if you've had a couple of months off and have a tour coming up that you need to be in fighting shape for.

It's also a fun way to try out new songs and knock covers into shape, plus you earn some folding (or shrapnel depending on the day!) to boot.

The only downside in my hometown is buskers tend to attract the attention of alcoholics out for a mid-morning thrash, the occasional homeless person out to 'borrow' your earnings, and the insane who want to scream at you about buttered elephants and the suchlike.

I busked around the world for three years. If you take it seriously, it is a good way to make a living. You have to focus on playing what people want to hear and you need to learn how to attract and retain an audience if you are going to do really well.

It is actually detrimental to work an area where a new busker is on every corner. There is a finite amount of money in any given area and if you are sharing it with 50 other players you could be wasting your time. The most profitable spots tend to be right in front of liquor stores on paydays.

Since this is a snits and giggles event be forewarned... Make sure you check with the local authorities first. In some municipalities, busking is a licenseable endeavor and you cannot do it without the proper permit from City Hall. Best call ahead and check with Mayor Ray "We're gonna make this a chocolate city" Nagen before you set-up shop in NO. Most cities' fees are nomial. They just want to know WHO you are before you start, dare I say, panhandling. I hate to say it but busking is a form of panhandling. Some locales couldn't care less. Some outright outlaw panhandling it all it's forms.

Best get a lay of the land, so to speak, as well. Some buskers have "their" own location that they protect vigorously If you happen take their spot, be prepared to beat a hasty exit. It is also possible a permit may specify a particular address where you can busk as well.

A number of years ago, a local radio personality interviewed a panhandler once. not sure what his draw was, busking, window wiping or luggage carrying or just out and out begging... but he panhandled in O'Hare Airport. He said he had the proper permit. He also said he paid taxes the previous year on a little more than $90,000.00!

Good Luck.

Hey man I'm from NOLA and have spent many, many days in the quarter and seen tons of buskers there. The dudes at Jackson Sq. often if not always have PAs, for what that's worth. If you don't want to deal with the battle of the PAs, go around to Royal St. which is sometimes blocked off from traffic. There you don't need a PA to be heard. In my experience, the bands who draw the biggest crowds are on Royal -- get your singing voice good and loud, learn to play a tambourine loudly with your foot, bring a buddy who can play harmonica if you can't do it yourself, and maybe somebody who can play a snare with brushes -- that is, if you want to have a group. Little bands draw bigger crowds than solo guys, so if you don't care about splitting the $ (if this is just for fun) then bring a dude with you. A really mellow hound dog helps.

Another spot is at the bottom of that big staircase on Decatur, opposite from the cathedral. You face the stairs and people can sit there for a spell, like a little ampitheater. I'd use a battery-powered amp there to be heard over the traffic. I've seen full-on bands with complete drum kits in that spot.

If you go during Mardi Gras, buddy be ready for stiff competition. Maybe take a couple of afternoons and go to the FQ to see what the game is like so your naivete (and I don't mean any offense by that) doesn't get you in a confrontation with some hardass hustler. Check out the scene and do it!! (then tell us what it be like for you)

I've done some of that in the past and made some good cash. Normally at local festivals.

OK let's all get a tour bus' date=' cooler and take a week off from work. Head to N.O. and have a good time.

We would probably finance most of the alcohol.....[-o< [/quote']

at least the music would be better than anything on the grammies

Yup, busked in London and Edinburgh back in the 1970s and during the 1990s down in New Orleans (I lived in Natchez, MS for about 15 years ). In Europe I did it cuz I actually needed the money - down in New Orleans did it just for fun. I never played solo in New Orleans - usually worked with a harp player/singer.

My general impression is that it was more "competitive" in New Orleans. There was some real talent on the streets. remember one corner doo wop band that even had produced their own CD (yeah, they were good). For $1 they would sing your sweetie a song after which you could buy their CD.

But it was fun and we did rake in enough cash to go get something to eat.

I did it on Broadway in Nashville once for fun. Drove 2 hours to get there. Did it a couple hours. Went into Tootsies, had a few beers. Drove 2 hours home. I lost money!

I didn't care for it, but I gig 40/50 weeks a year. If I was hungry I'd do it all day. I mean, it's not like working.........................

Murph.

I hate to say it but busking is a form of panhandling.

Good Luck.

I hate to have to inform you that you are entirely and completely wrong.

Busking works on the assumption that the entertainment you provide will encourage donations. A panhandler asks for money. It is true that some buskers will entertain a crowd and then solicit donations - which may cross the line from assumption to request, but the legal precedent has always been that assumption is not a form of panhandling - that busking is a fee for service association.

Run it past a judge. I did, and I won.

I hate to have to inform you that you are entirely and completely wrong.

Busking works on the assumption that the entertainment you provide will encourage donations. A panhandler asks for money. It is true that some buskers will entertain a crowd and then solicit donations - which may cross the line from assumption to request' date=' but the legal precedent has always been that assumption is not a form of panhandling - that busking is a fee for service association.

Run it past a judge. I did, and I won.[/quote']

you are assuming that every city is the same. many cities have expressly pointed out in their laws that busking is the same. unfortunately, many cities have something against anyone on the street.

so, you may be correct where you are, but that's doesn't mean that you are correct everywhere.

you are assuming that every city is the same. many cities have expressly pointed out in their laws that busking is the same. unfortunately' date=' many cities have something against anyone on the street.

so, you may be correct where you are, but that's doesn't mean that you are correct everywhere.[/quote']

Interesting. My case was heard in British Columbia and successfully argued on two fronts that busking was a passive enterprise based on assumption and differed immensely from panhandling. The secondary issue in the judgment dealt with definitions of private property. I successfully argued that a liqour store owned by the province of British Columbia - even as a tenant - amounted to public property despite its location in a privately owned strip mall and therefore was a suitable location for this enterprise.

The decision was immensely unpopular as it opened access to the best busking spot on Earth - the North Vancouver liquor store - where one never saw change and seldom received a donation below $5.

I busked from 1984 until 1990. I saw the world, met many wonderful people - some of whom remain friends to this day - and filled my life with tremendous experiences that will never escape my memory. It is disappointing to learn that street music is being legislated away in the United States. I have always valued America as a place that stands in support of creative enterprise, freedom of expression and freedom of choice. Perhaps that needs to be re-evaluated.

If nobody wanted the busker to exist, the busker wouldn't make any money.

"I have always valued America as a place that stands in support of creative enterprise, freedom of expression and freedom of choice. Perhaps that needs to be re-evaluated."

Yep Ballcorner, perhaps it does! We got a 'New Deal' down here, don,t ya know! Theres a new kid in town! =P~

Interesting. My case was heard in British Columbia and successfully argued on two fronts that busking was a passive enterprise based on assumption and differed immensely from panhandling. The secondary issue in the judgment dealt with definitions of private property. I successfully argued that a liqour store owned by the province of British Columbia - even as a tenant - amounted to public property despite its location in a privately owned strip mall and therefore was a suitable location for this enterprise.

The decision was immensely unpopular as it opened access to the best busking spot on Earth - the North Vancouver liquor store - where one never saw change and seldom received a donation below $5.

I busked from 1984 until 1990. I saw the world' date=' met many wonderful people - some of whom remain friends to this day - and filled my life with tremendous experiences that will never escape my memory. It is disappointing to learn that street music is being legislated away in the United States. I have always valued America as a place that stands in support of creative enterprise, freedom of expression and freedom of choice. Perhaps that needs to be re-evaluated.

If nobody wanted the busker to exist, the busker wouldn't make any money. [/quote']

My point exactly. Some locale's consider busking a form of panhandling. You had to go to court to prove them wrong. :-& good for you, standing up for your rights.

Others' will benefit for knowing it's tarnished image and they will need to call the locals before busking to avoid unintended law breaking.

Some locales, like New Orleans, embrace busking as a business enterprise and therefore, like all other N.O. business enterprizes, are subject to licensing/taxation ($10.00/year I think) and ordinances like not blocking thoroughfares (sidewalks), limitations on business hours, cleaning up after yourself, volume limits, etc.

I found on the 'net a site dedicated to polishing the image of busking. I don't have the link but anyone could do a quick Ask.com search and find it I'd suspect.

There is no license or taxation of street performers in New Orleans.

If you were perhaps outside of a business, and that business owner didn't care for you, he could have the police come and move you, but they would simply tell you to move down the street to another location.

It's pretty much a free for all. There's even some businesses that rent out space to fortune tellers of a 3 piece jazz band, etc.

I busked from 1984 until 1990. I saw the world' date=' met many wonderful people - some of whom remain friends to this day - and filled my life with tremendous experiences that will never escape my memory. It is disappointing to learn that street music is being legislated away in the United States. I have always valued America as a place that stands in support of creative enterprise, freedom of expression and freedom of choice. Perhaps that needs to be re-evaluated.

If nobody wanted the busker to exist, the busker wouldn't make any money. [/quote']

it really is sad, but unfortunately many places are going after street performers. it's a small group of people making a big noise about it and the gov't listens. that small group usually has a lot of money btw. they want to "fix" the look of many downtown areas. the idea is to bring the rich in with expensive condos. the image a street musician is seen by many as just some poor dude on the corner begging for change for whiskey. so, they want that gone. like i said, it's sad... but happens. sure, the guy is providing a service, but they view it the same as the guy washing windows or trying to paint your number on the curb. i don't agree and i think busking should be legal everywhere. i'm just saying that you better check with your own city before stepping out to play.

Archived