Gibson Brands Forums

The Best I've Played And Sounded!

BluesKing777

If everyone goes on holiday to the same place at the same time maybe staying home is the best holiday destination. I mean; 'skeeters' (mozzies), sharks, jellyfish, snakes, pool pumps, dingoes, crocs, republicans, scorpions, rednecks, half-naked fat people, spiders, and worst of all, children, make for cause to re-define relaxation. Can't you rent out your beach house in the off season?

(I mean; 'skeeters' (mozzies), sharks, jellyfish, snakes, pool pumps, dingoes, crocs, republicans, scorpions, rednecks, half-naked fat people, spiders, and worst of all, children, make for cause to re-define relaxation. )

And all that just next door!

But the ad for my block of land 20 years ago had some little catchphrase like "holiday all year" or some tripe like that...which was true to a degree until the latest batch of knuckleheads moved in to join the last lot of knuckleheads and the lot before that. [mellow]

40 years ago almost, I lived in the mountains for the peace and quiet and that was the noisiest place I have ever lived because the locals were intent on cutting down every tree they could to turn it into the city while their kids stole cars for fun including the one I couldn't sell to save myself and they were happy to joy ride through the mountains at full belt in! Except the cops caught them and knocked on my door at 3am to see if I was the owner? I nearly climbed the back fence but opened the door....

No, I'm staying here until they are all gone. Let the campaign begin..yuk..yuk... real estate is the only industry making money here anymore so they will succumb to an offer soon [angry]

BluesKing777.

Yep. Sometimes you gotta' wait 'em out. Last man standing.

Do you take just one guitar? The sturdiest to withstand salt air and hot temps? You have more choices, but I think I'd need to buy a sturdy new guitar to take out on the dunes...like a Cargill.

I was also playing my 2005 OM18v this morning.Charlie Patton's "Down that Dirt Road Blues".

Coincidence enough both playing a not very common model here in Australia.If you were playing that Charlie Patton song I'll have to drag out my boxed set of Twilight Zone DVD's and see if Rod Serling had an episode on it!

Do you take just one guitar? The sturdiest to withstand salt air and hot temps? You have more choices, but I think I'd need to buy a sturdy new guitar to take out on the dunes...like a Cargill.

Last man standing, grumpy....but still here!

I don't have a beater for the dunes or the beach anymore - I gave a Samick dread to a friend's kid wanting to learn, he was tickled pink and so he should - it was a beater from the pawn shop but had potential so I had it Cargilled...set up, pickup...cost more than it was worth. My other 2 beaters I gave to an ex student to record his record supposedly and he promptly pawned one and traded the other for...yep..an electronic keyboard...but it made crucial space in the music room for....ha ha....

So I recently bought the new Martin 000-17 Black Smoke, the one in black with white pickguard, to be the new Beater Go Everywhere, but after playing it for a few months it is better than an 000-18 I tried, great to play, sounds nice, has pickup...so that ain't going to the beach. Way too nice. That will be my 'travel' guitar with its Hiscox case, except I have to work and the car croked and got repaired so no money for travel currently.....but it looks good going to a friend's house 20 minutes away! But things will turn around and that will be easy to lug around in the car for a weekend away, phew, someday.

So I have all guitar situations covered except the beach. Too noisy there anyway, like you said. I was just then playing some Celtic tunes from a book I have using a real case queen I have - my stunning Martin OM28 Marquis! Rosewood with Adi top that needs some heavy hands to break in - I got it used 3 or 4 years old and no matter what I do, it still sounds brand new. Beach guitar? That will do it!

So I guess we could admit defeat and get a used guitar for the beater, thinking used Bird... [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

I was also playing my 2005 OM18v this morning.Charlie Patton's "Down that Dirt Road Blues".

Coincidence enough both playing a not very common model here in Australia.If you were playing that Charlie Patton song I'll have to drag out my boxed set of Twilight Zone DVD's and see if Rod Serling had an episode on it!

No, not playing Patton but boy, I was close .......All tracks in C - M. John Hurt to G. Davis from some Tab I go through every Saturday morning as a centering kind of thing. Some days I zoom through them, others I can't play the first lick.... but the OM18V is great for that stuff - the right sound and plenty of space for fat fingers?

BluesKing777.

Track pants? I take it you are in Vic or Tas then. Man, up here today is like being in Singapore or Malaysia or somesuch, it's just steamy and the air is thick and sticky. I went for a walk up into a mix of rainforest and farmland earlier along a ridge overlooking two valleys and I was just sweating away. I imagined in my mind being a worker in one of those countries returning home from a day in the fields to a nice swim in the local creek (though I made do with the kids paddle pool in reality [laugh] ) - roll on Autumn!

Track pants? I take it you are in Vic or Tas then. Man, up here today is like being in Singapore or Malaysia or somesuch, it's just steamy and the air is thick and sticky. I went for a walk up into a mix of rainforest and farmland earlier along a ridge overlooking two valleys and I was just sweating away. I imagined in my mind being a worker in one of those countries returning home from a day in the fields to a nice swim in the local creek (though I made do with the kids paddle pool in reality [laugh] ) - roll on Autumn!

Ha, in southern Vic, and we have our turn coming with over 100° F for Monday...(thanks BBG for the degree sign tip!) I make like I am on Mars and go from airtight air con house to airtight air con car to airtight air con shop! And hope the power stays working! And I threw the wading pool out because it was starting to look nasty. Use to sit in that with the umbrella over it when we got real hot. By the time you got it all set up, you were hotter than hell anyway.

It can stay at 72° C all year and it would be just peachy, thanks.

BluesKing777.

Flip-flops and gym shorts, the winter uniform for wood heat home boys. My luthier says the guitars have a faint pleasant odor that makes him feel warm and cozy. Guess I won't be selling any of my 'final four'.

Humidifier folks need not comment, but thanks for your concern.

Run the tap for some instant humidifying?...

My large work pc is landscape, not sure why we all got landscape when all our work is portrait, but anyhow I just do the work and let the geniuses on the big money concern themselves with the explanations...... ( my photos come up good though).

BUT one day while having a tech problem and waiting for help desk to get back to me, grabbed the little 0-17 to fill the time and wow, the reflection of sound from the quiet little Martin is huge, not exactly like the bathroom tile sound but similar! No good with OM or dread - way too loud and gives you a headache, don't even think about the National.

But playing outside is the opposite - no relections and the sound goes straight that way. Uncluttered.

BluesKing777.

I was just about the first man standing in this area almost 20 years ago!

How did I get here?

While I am raving about nothing much........

Long story short....broke blues guitarist had moved back to parents in suburbia to re-gather forces and after we all got sick of each other again, I rented an inner city bayside flat with plastic curtains and an oven in the way of the door... but if you negotiated the main road you were at the bay beach and all the open space and water and sand and all. So under immense pressure from the Boss to move to suburbia, I insisted I want to be near the beach somewhere....... i would have stayed in my little dump across from the beach, but the Boss moved in and then we moved out! Rented increasingly larger places over the years and got further and further and further away from the city lights.

Dog - a friend gave me an Australian Cattle Dog from his dog's litter and I kept it illegally in our rented apartments and houses for almost 10 years, being a PITA when the owners/agents want to inspect! (We both had to come home from work and she would meet the agent and I would walk the dog around and around till I saw the car gone!). So we looked and looked and looked for a rental that allowed dogs - none. Nobody wants dogs trashing their place, but I found a half house in a bayside street about 20 doors from the beach, jetty, shops and we were allowed to have a dog!!! I should have smelled a rat. We were there for a few years, but one day the owner notified us the house was being knocked down for redevelopment and we were OUT! So they thought they would get our rent money while waiting for their development approval!

So again, we looked everywhere for a dog friendly rental......zip and zip to come. We had 4 months before the house was to be smashed and the Boss showed me an ad for .....a builder, a effin' house builder.....we signed up and that is a real long story for another day.

So 20 years later here we are, dug in with a different dog, but we will always have dogs I guess. And the only thing in the original criteria I layed out when moving out of the little flat is.....'close to beach'. The bright lights are a long, long, long way that way but....

I think I only had 3 guitars then!

BluesKing777.

Ha! 3 guitars? You'll be back to 3 at some point, I feel. The Cargill, the L0, and J50 should get you through. You have a J50, right? Maybe 4, as you have to keep the little mahog 0-17. I wouldn't get rid of that. If I could get my 0-17 back or the early 60's Guild M20, both such delicate feather-lite super responsive guitars, I'd fade happily off into the acoustic sunset. Almost crashed and burned on the Elderly 'as-is' '48 J45 at $3500, needing neck set, re-fret, etc., but someone beat me to the punch. Might have given myself a heart attack staring at the money transfer before the guitar arrived, and looking at what I needed to sell to make the landing softer. Maybe it's better this way, as I'm getting very settled in to the playing options I have. Jesus...I do trim carpentry and hang wallpaper. Who can buy guitars at this income level.

How I ended up 5 hours north of Manhattan is another story.

I can relate BK. After 20 years of going from city to city every couple of years (often the same cities over and again) and always living about 10 mins drive from the CBD on the weekend (except Canberra - what CBD?) I moved to my paradise in the misty mountains a few years back and it is great for the soul. About 40 mins to Byron Bay or Ballina if I want the ocean, and the pic below is off my deck over my 'backyard' - I live in a 100 year old Queenslander cottage, drive an old bomb of a car, and don't get an annual bonus anymore.....who cares! [biggrin]

Jedzep - 'How I ended up 5 hours north of Manhattan is another story...' sounds like a great opening line in a novel I would enjoy reading! [thumbup]

IMG_0540_zpskgnljofe.jpg

No J50 here! [crying] [crying] [crying] I have a mini-me J50 in the LG3!

That Elderly is a dangerous place to look at, JZ.

Funnily enough, they have a '53 J50 and a '56 000-18 that have sat there forever and could be got for way less as I am one of their best customers [tongue] But must be dogs or they would have been snatched up. Don't care, got no money for guitars and pay day is 2 1/2 weeks away, 2 weeks and 2 days! Really, the 000 and OM, 00, L-0 are more my size and I just played my OM18 Authentic VTS for an hour or 2....just leagues above everything. So if I was moving stuff, I would trade the dreads to a used Madi Rosewood OM28 Authentic VTS or a 00-18 Authentic (I have seen the light with stunning, stunning VTS Authentics after owning my OM18A for a year!!!. They just sing.); an original nice condition Gibson L-00/L-0/L1 to satisfy curiosity: a Lowden S25/26/35....gulp S50 (similar size to 00)..... again to satisfy curiosity....but none needed urgently.

Of course, the 0-17 isn't going anywhere..tone and a half there...only, only catch with it is the 1 11/16" nut but it is playable, though I do prefer wider.

And the city lights....on hot nights I often walk the Hound on a bayside cliff top walk lit up like Stalag 19, a long drive away to get some wind in the hair but it has a cement path at the base of the cliff that dogs are allowed to walk on, (well it has a paw print stencilled all the way along the path). So clifftop track on the way out, beachside cement path on the way back. From the cliff top, I can see those city lights we talked about way across the bay and in between me and those lights are breath testing vans and cops and all the things that make it impossible to go have a drink in the light! I have been designated driver for the Boss..pfffttt....and a cab is about $120!!!!!! $150 maybe now. Anyway, driving back from the dog walk, it was about 10PM and I was the ONLY car on the road, not another soul at 10PM! The place is jumping!

BluesKing777.

I can relate BK. After 20 years of going from city to city every couple of years (often the same cities over and again) and always living about 10 mins drive from the CBD on the weekend (except Canberra - what CBD?) I moved to my paradise in the misty mountains a few years back and it is great for the soul. About 40 mins to Byron Bay or Ballina if I want the ocean, and the pic below is off my deck over my 'backyard' - I live in a 100 year old Queenslander cottage, drive an old bomb of a car, and don't get an annual bonus anymore.....who cares! [biggrin]

Jedzep - 'How I ended up 5 hours north of Manhattan is another story...' sounds like a great opening line in a novel I would enjoy reading! [thumbup]

IMG_0540_zpskgnljofe.jpg

Looks good!

You posted at the same time as me.

The photo reminds me of a place we stayed overnight enroute further north one time....when it got dark it got really dark and we were sitting on this patio making a bbq and a few drinks but thinking of that 70s Aust movie "Long Weekend" and then this little Jack Russell dog walked up out of nowhere, ate the rest of my dog's dinner, drank all his water, said hello to us and lay down next to my chair! An hour later we saw this Toyoto ute driving and around the area with his spots on and then he pulled in our drive and we were thinking... all kinds of things, and the guy opened his window and said: "You haven't seen a little dog, have you?"

BluesKing777.

Right...LG-3. That's a sweet rugged guitar too, speaking of good travel guitar options.

I'll get the first draft off to you soon, Scales, hoping you're an editor for Judith Regan.

Yes, the 59 LG3 is another that needs to stay! Though it does have the 1 11/16" nut as well, works nice for fingerpicking with the Shubb on 3 though.

If the nongbrainhead next door could just stop banging things on to the fence, I would play that LG3 for a while. The fence banging has been going on for months on and off and I have no idea what he is doing but he must be nailing little things to the fence. What? Making some kind of mural near his pool? Piece at a time? He does like to have a DIY project to keep hid little peahead busy. I might just run the wood chipper and go out!

BluesKing777.

Yes, the 59 LG3 is another that needs to stay! Though it does have the 1 11/16" nut as well, works nice for fingerpicking with the Shubb on 3 though.

If the nongbrainhead next door could just stop banging things on to the fence, I would play that LG3 for a while. The fence banging has been going on for months on and off and I have no idea what he is doing but he must be nailing little things to the fence. What? Making some kind of mural near his pool? Piece at a time? He does like to have a DIY project to keep hid little peahead busy. I might just run the wood chipper and go out!

BluesKing777.

Well, we did go out, tap tap tappin bang bang scream scream wasn't going to stop.... i did play my LG3 but too much competition going on out there, so....

It is the last day of a unnoficial 4 day holiday here - holiday Thursday and everyone takes a sick day or a leave day to stretch the weekend to 4, but not I - worked all week. But bearing in mind that millions would br clogging the main roads back from holiday destinations, I actually played it smart and drove to the quiet country roads diagonal to the traffic and gave the car a spin throught the twisty mountain roads. Nobody around where I went, but I did go over a freeway bridge and the cars were st a standstill down there! I couldn't have done it better if I had tunnelled under them. Anyway, it was good to get away and a couple of times I may have been lost but kept going in the general direction I thought I should. Stopped at a rest area by a creek, let the dog have a sniff and we all walked around in the shady area (hot today). Piled back in the car, took the back roads home, hit some bad traffic in one part but did pretty well. We wre not gone all that long but it has broken up the day beautifully. All quiet now at home, had a drink and played some Frank Stokes tabs on my Martin HD28V!

BluesKing777.

Maybe it's time to break out the Les Paul, big old Fender amp and a few assorted pedals. Facing the fence, give the neighbors a free show.

I don't want to advertise my guitars too much! And they will want me to teach little Jimmy...

Though when I was about 21, moved back home again, I often fired up the Marshall Superlead in my bedroom when everyone was out....

Mixed reaction from neighbours....complaint from cops, 'that's nice dear' from the lady across the road, 'get out' from Dad when he came home early, and a long time friendship with a dude who heard me 5 doors down and wanted to say hello and to see if I had any weed....his brother played bass in this band and that and yada, yada, yada!

And when I fired the Marshall up when I lived in the mountains, a farmer came to complain that I was disturbing his milkers!

BluesKing777.

4 questions for Scales to answer for readers of Guitar From The Edge: <_<

How are the neighbours?

Do you sit on your deck playing acoustic and if so, which one?

How are the mozzies?

Which strings?

Now I almost decided to live in Byron years ago but it was only a little shack town then....probably should have bought as much real estate as I could. Drove through a while back and drove straight out again.... I like Brunswick Heads and further south.

Now the only place you can buy Virtuoso Guitar Cleaner and Polish is from the music shop in Byron, used to be anyway.

So here it is Monday morning and at last all the noisy have gone to work - only sound is the usb fan on my work computer. (and the newspaper online reports 2 massive traffic jams!)

BluesKing777.

Archived