Gibson Brands Forums

Received my 2017 Firebird NOT HAPPY!!!

norcalpiper

If I'm not mistaken the nuts are cut on their PLEK machine so perhaps it's a set up issue at the factory?

My 2014 Firebird V isn't my most expensive guitar but it's become my favorite. Maybe get your money back and go the used route. I had to do a truss rod adjustment (of course) and because that year was a nibless wonder I had to spend a half hour with some fine grade steel wool to take the edge off of the frets.

It was worth the little bit of time spent.

Maybe a batch run through the PLEK machine with a bad setting/configuration loaded? Seriously bad that this is happening though. I hope they make it right - either zZounds and/or Gibson - before losing their customer.

• 5 months later...

So sorry you're having problems. I got a Vintage Sunburst Firebird 2017 T this week for my 65th b-day, and I absolutely love it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Gibson Plek these guitars? Mine needed the bridge lowered a bit, and I loosened the truss rod a smidge when I changed the strings to 9s. Other than that I LOVE this guitar. It has swiftly become my number 1, I really dig the mini humbuckers and the fact that it's light (7.4 lbs).

I did pick from 5 others at the store, they had 2 2017s and 3 of other years manufacture. The newer ones were WAY better than the older 3. I think they were 2015 or 2016 models.

Here's hoping that you get a good one like mine. They're incredible guitars.

So sorry you're having problems. I got a Vintage Sunburst Firebird 2017 T this week for my 65th b-day, and I absolutely love it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Gibson Plek these guitars? Mine needed the bridge lowered a bit, and I loosened the truss rod a smidge when I changed the strings to 9s. Other than that I LOVE this guitar. It has swiftly become my number 1, I really dig the mini humbuckers and the fact that it's light (7.4 lbs).

I did pick from 5 others at the store, they had 2 2017s and 3 of other years manufacture. The newer ones were WAY better than the older 3. I think they were 2015 or 2016 models.

Here's hoping that you get a good one like mine. They're incredible guitars.

Congratulations on your new Firebird. I just received my 2017 Firebird Studio HP today and I like it way more than my 2016 Firebird T.

Sorry this is happening to you man. I would add to the discussion that I have primarily used Zzounds over the last eight or so years for all sorts of equipment from guitars to mics to amps. I have had a bad apple once or twice (mostly acoustic guitars) but Zzounds was great with the return process. I even ordered an infamous Jeff Tweedy Sg from them! It seems almost everyone that bought one across the globe got a poorly installed Maestro or warped neck. Mine from Zzounds was perfect! Its a crap shoot bud! And Gc has been losing business to Zzounds and AMS for a few years now so its not surprising that they cast shade! Good luck and I hope you end up with a good instrument!

Sorry this is happening to you man. I would add to the discussion that I have primarily used Zzounds over the last eight or so years for all sorts of equipment from guitars to mics to amps. I have had a bad apple once or twice (mostly acoustic guitars) but Zzounds was great with the return process. I even ordered an infamous Jeff Tweedy Sg from them! It seems almost everyone that bought one across the globe got a poorly installed Maestro or warped neck. Mine from Zzounds was perfect! Its a crap shoot bud! And Gc has been losing business to Zzounds and AMS for a few years now so its not surprising that they cast shade! Good luck and I hope you end up with a good instrument!

I'm fairly that Guitar Center and Musician's Friend are all owned by the same company, Bain Capital. Zzounds, American Musical, and another one I can't remember are three different companies sharing the same warehouse, or so I hear. I bought one guitar from Zzounds, had to return it due to defects and got prompt service. I bought one guitar from Guitar Center and their service was not my favorite. I bought a guitar from American Musical and it was great and I love their payment options. I pretty much only go to Guitar Center to test stuff before buying online. My next vendor of choice will be Sweetwater because they actually inspect their items and do a full checkup before delivering. That's value added retail.

I'm fairly that Guitar Center and Musician's Friend are all owned by the same company, Bain Capital. Zzounds, American Musical, and another one I can't remember are three different companies sharing the same warehouse, or so I hear. I bought one guitar from Zzounds, had to return it due to defects and got prompt service. I bought one guitar from Guitar Center and their service was not my favorite. I bought a guitar from American Musical and it was great and I love their payment options. I pretty much only go to Guitar Center to test stuff before buying online. My next vendor of choice will be Sweetwater because they actually inspect their items and do a full checkup before delivering. That's value added retail.

I have also had great results from Sweetwater, if they had the Zzounds or AMS payment options I would got through them exclusively!

• 2 weeks later...

Bain Capital unloaded its investment in Guitar Center and Musicians Friend back in 2014. I use Guitar Center to buy stuff because they price match everyone including Amazon. I also use the others.

Archived