Gibson Brands Forums

Import from UK to USA

Black Dog

Guest Farnsbarns

UK to USA? That would be export [biggrin]

Joking aside, why would you do that? You'll pay way over the odds.

I live in KY, USA

I just bought a Kristofferson SJ from the UK via Ebay

I told the seller to be sure and fill out the paperwork properly and be sure to mark the country of origin as USA, as it was made here.

He shipped it using DHL. It cleared customs but when it arrived locally, they contacted me and said I owed $170 for customs/duties.

I called them and challenged the charges. Within an hour they called me back and agreed because the paperwork stated USA origin and released the package.

Only took two days to get here.

Hope that helps.

Good Luck

I have found a much better deal on a guitar there than here, even considering shipping and import tax.
It's a Les Paul reissue.

Please post links to the great deal you have spotted. We'll be as helpful to you in this as we always have been to you in the past.

Pip.

Guest Farnsbarns

I feel sure tax will be owed. I believe the country of manufacture makes no difference. I think, when shipping, the country of origin is where it was shipped from. No US sales tax was collected when it was sold to the UK market. The chap above who asked the sender to mark the country of origin as the US was wrong to do so I think. Seems to have gotten away with it though.

I'm no expert. All the above could be rubbish.

I have bought objects d' arte from a feller in Falmouth, in the county of KentShireDerbyYork, in the Queens Province of Leicestersheersworth, on the banks of the Kent-on-Thames-at-Avon. They arrived like anything else in the mail. He's a cool guy, makes cool stuff, sells it all over the world.

rct

I have bought a Rousseau giclee or two from New Zealand when they were having rights issues with distribution in most of the world, something between Barnes and the rest of the art world. Aside from being fabulously expensive just because it's a Rousseau, no extra fees or duties.

rct

Yeah, I pretty sure there would be a tax. Looks like around 5%. Honestly the price is so good that I wouldn't care.

It's also no real secret where it's from, it's Andertons.

I wish Io knew someone in UK who could buy it a send it to me. The only problem with that is that you'd have to pay the VAT. But even with that it's still significantly less expensive than in the US.

I'm gonna go listen to Taxman now... Don't really care for the original too much but Joe Bonamasasa does a pretty good cover.

Guest Farnsbarns

Did you take into account the currency exchange rate? The pound is stronger than the dollar. [tongue]

I was wondering that. It seems so unlikely that any NEW Gibson would be cheaper here.

Guest Farnsbarns

That was uncalled for. People are trying to help. That starts with understanding the situation. If you want help, cooperate, if not, don't ask.

There's any number of people in the UK on this board who might be able to help even with purchasing it but if you're gonna be a sarcky smart arse about it the chances are slight.

I didn't really think that was so bad. After all, he did stick his tongue out at me. Anyway, I really do appreciate all the help but I think that exchange rate consideration is pretty elementary. Or, maybe I'm wrong and I was just a jerk.

Peace and love to all.

Seriously.

...Honestly the price is so good that I wouldn't care....It's also no real secret where it's from, it's Andertons...

...it's still significantly less expensive than in the US....

Really? I must be missing something.

The cheapest R-I I can see advertised at the moment on the Andertons site is a '58 which works out at $4,736 and they only have one example in stock at that price.

Sweetwater, however, do them for $4,699. They have a dozen or so in many different finishes.

eusa_think.gif

Could you please post the link to the Andertons R-I which is such a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

Pip.

Archived