Gibson Brands Forums

My Gibson SJ 200 Custom Elite

MR GIBS

Hi

I am from Bulgaria. Live in Sofia-the capital of the state. I am playing guitar and singing since 1976. Till that moment I had an Yamaha FG - 411C MAB, since 1993 (from a shop in Paris France).

I am a singer-songwrirer. Here I give you several links to my videos:

http://poetiskitara.com/?p=338

Since monday 09.02.2009 I have a Gibson Acoustics SJ 200 Custom Elite - from e-bay.

Don't have to tell you that "MISTER GIBS" as I call my guitar is a living WONDER!

I am proud with that!

As I told you, I live in Bulgaria. This is a country in East Europe - the Balkans... There is no Gibson Shop here in BG. Nearest Gibson dealers are in Grece & Turkey.

I am sure that I am the only one in that moment in my coutry that have a Gibson SJ 200. I never saw this model not on a concert, not on TV or in videos of bulgarian performers...

I have never touched a Gibson Acoustics, and I am amazed..........

I will make my best songs on MISTER GIBS

I am happy! All of my life I had a dream - to have a real Gibson. Now I have it! I play on itT

I can now play things that I never could - MISTER GIBS shows me how to do that :)/

I will have my first public performance with MISTRE GIBS on monday. And I will introduce to the audience this great instrument!!!!!!

Congratulations on becoming a new Gibson owner. I'm sure that there are many inspiring songs inside MR GIBS. Enjoy discovering them. And thanks for posting some of your performances. Very tasty playing. And great singing.

Welcome to the Forum. You have chosen (or it chose you!) a great guitar and I know you will fall in love with it. I know I love mine. Please post some photos when you can. We love photos of new guitars here. I also enjoyed your videos. Congratulations!!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting Mr Gibs. I love the name! Those of us who live near music stores are reminded that it's not always so easy for others to get good guitars. Glad you found yours! Do you remember the first song you played on it?

After a concert an adoring fan approached Jascha Heifetz and complimented him on how good his Stradivarious sounded. Heifetz held the violin up to his ear and said I don't hear anything. Seems to me you could make the worst P.O.S. guitar ever made sound sweet. But then again, it is always nicer to pull the music out of a Gibson.

So congrats and welcome to the forum.

Hi everibody !

Thanks for your opinions.

The first song I played On MISTER GIBS was a song in that link:

http://poetiskitara.com/?p=338

that starts 35:40

The lyrics are written from a poet and the story goes like that:

"... the air is sweet, and the cofee is not,

our bodies find a common line...

there is a chaos in the harmony

and somebody is coursing our madness again...

the neighbours keep quiet, curious,

trough the walls they try to feel

our bodies tired how will fly

and how our limbs will shiver ...

well - something like that...

It sounds better in bulgarian language , you know...

See, friends...

I know about those SJ 200 longtime ago... I did not dare to think, I did not dare to dream about it...

Several months I looked in internet... I wanted to have a jumbo...

I looked at the materials, sides, back, top, neck...

Matter of fact I looked very seriously on a Wechter like that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wechter-Guitars-Elite-Jumbo-5714-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ170300324913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item170300324913&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

But in the end I had the idea that life is not so long and I deserve the best.

No, not me - my songs deserve the best instrument.

And I bout it from e-bay...

Mister GIBS arrived in the store of my inernet dealer in a "Guild" box and first time I saw the box I said "FUUCK , what is that???"

Then I unpacked and I saw the hardshell Gibson

Do you suppose what I tell you? There is no Gibson in Bulgaria. Of course - there are some electric Les Pauls , but there is not a Gibson Acoustics here... REALLY!!!!!

There is no bulgarian dealer for Gibson. You can not see Gibson here in shops. Not yet...

I Swear!!! I never saw one Gibson Acoustics not on a TV, not on a video in the hands of a blgarian guitarist, singer , performer - never!!!

I took M-r GIBS in hands. I accorded it , started playing and - what a bad surprise - There were so many buzzes on the neck...

And allso the strings are not well ordered - the first string slips down from the neck from 2-nd till 8-9-th position... - seems that somebody rearranged the original string order...

The warranty cards were not filled at all...

Somebody kept M-r GIBS in a private collection and , figure that - NEVER PLAYED ON HIM and spoiled him....

Dispite that MISTER GIBS HAS A GREAT VOICE!!! He has the voice of a handmade in Boseman Montana masterpeace!!! And tomorow night I will play on him before public - never mind that he buzzes!!! I have no patience to show them all what M-r GIBS can do in my hands!!!

Fewdays ago I spoke with the greatest master-lutier of my country - his name is Valeri Gradinarski, and perhaps in tuesday I'll bring M-r GIBS to him. I am sure he will heal him and will return to the sound of that great isntrument the original Boseman Montana Shine!

I think that tomorow night - 16.02.2009 - there will be some video recording so I promise ypu to give you the first public performance of MISTER GIBS in my hands.

Thanks once again for reading my things and for looking at my videos. I promise you that this is the onlly beginning!

Krasimir

Great post Krasimir. I take it for granted that I live within an hour drive of many fine new and vintage Gibson shops. A word of warning though, my Bulgarian friend. These guitars are an addiction. This may not be your last. I thought I had one of everything, but now I think I need an SJ200. Ouch. Best of luck.

Yeah! For sure M-r GIBS is an adiction to me... I am allready addicted to this wonderful (a little bit sick for now, but not for a long time) Made in America person.

I gave allmost all of my money to buy M-r GIBS. And I don't regret any cent!

I am, as I said a singer - songwriter. I love to make my songs. I can write words & music, but since 2007 I prefere to do only the music. And of course to sing my songs before audience. The first song I played on M-r GIBS monday 09.02.2009 was one of my songs - the music.

I belong to a group of bulgarian singers-songwriters that are amateurs and we gatter round several times by an year to play on so called "festivals". Most of the people of this group cannot play and sing well. Most of the people have very bad and cheep instruments... Bulgaria is a cheep country and there are no tradition in singing and playing on folk guitar... Or if there is some tradition - it is very poor...

Of course there are beter than me. The best singer-songwriter in my country is Plamen Stavrev. He is a profesionalist. He is great as a one-man-show:

He plays on a Seagull he bought more than 20 years ago. Here he sings on bulgarian, but I asure you that he is singing in english like anyone born in USA!

Me I sing in bulgarian - cause here live bulgarians :-) I sing allso in french, in russian, in italian, in romanian, in spanish and in macedonian languages.

I played 15 years on a drednout Yamaha. I have a classical guitar plastic strings Quintana (spanish??) I have played a little on Seagull, Washburn, Walden, Cort, Hohner, Ovation, and some cheep bulgarian made acoustics

The sound of M-r GIBBS can not be compared with nothing else of the above numbered

It is true that I have not touched a real Martin, not a real Taylor...

But I don't want. I wanted M-r GIBS and I have it.

He, M-r GIBS, was closed several years in his hardshell in some private collection somewhere in Texas... Now I opened the hardshell and I started to play on it and started to make him sing. And he is grateful to me because he really SHOWS ME WHAT A GOOD GUITAR CAN DO. The sounds are not comparable to anything else that I hold in hands since 1976 (I play guitar since this year)

Yeah - I am addicted, and I am happy and proud with that.

I don't know if this will be my last Gibson. Now I think that MISTER GIBS is quite enough to me. We need time to make the friendship with him and we'll do our best - he is going to teach me how to play better and I'll bring him on high stages!!!!!!!! Before big audience!

And we'll make our music together!!!!!!!!

Good to have you on the forum--congratulations on your new Gibson! An SJ200 Custom Elite is a tone monster!

I know some musicians who spent time in Romania doing the soundtrack for a movie. They have many stories about the wonderful people they met in Romania and Bulgaria. Lots of 'music parties and good times'.

Yeah!

Bulgaria and Romania are ex comunist countrys, but the people here is good.

I have been several times in Romania on their festivals. That's why I sing in romanian language too - I have audience there :-)

here I am with Vasile Mardare - singing one of his songs - "The gipsy woman at the red light"

There are gipsys in Romania selling flowers to the passengers at the red lights :-)

They have good performers - much better than in Bulgaria and much more... They have best traditions in folk music.

But none of them has a Gibson Acoustics :-)

I wouldn't say that M-r GIBS is a tone monster. I'd say that he is a tone sourse - if one knows how, one can get out a river of sounds from his body. One just have to be tallanted and to work, work, work... In the end there are two hands, one heart and one soul playing on several peaces of woog and steel...

But WHAT A MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again, friends.

My M-r Gibs was in a master luthiers atelier and now the GUITAR is finaly at home :-)

the Luthier corrected:

- 10 cm unglued frethboard - glued. Strings rearranged bi him (but not so well I think...)

- Truss rod (well - how should I write it correctly?) - was never tighten - now I hope - well corrected.

- Neck was a little curved on 10-15 freth - now adjusted.

- One important question for me - you know that I live in Bulgaria and I never saw a Gibson Acoustic before M-r Gibs! - Tell me - are the freths of a SJ 200 flat or no? Are they rounded?

When I received the instrument fron USA the freths were flat. The luthier took them all of, without asking me and rounded them all...

Now the action is not the same on the neck.......

And I am not sure he did well........

Pitty - there is no a Gibson luthier here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But buzzes have diminished significantly.

And the sound is great ( I think it can be greater in a Gibson luthier's hands........)

I am waiting for you opinions. And your help. - are the freths flat or rounded???

Krasimir

i wouldn't say they're flat, but they're not super-tall and rounded on top (generally). I've got a 90's epiphone that had frets that are tall enough to throw the note off a full 1/2 step if you get a little aggressive with it, my gibson's not so much.

I don't know if you would remember now at this point, but the binding on the neck was probably cut so that it came up at the fret ends (and covered the end of the fret). If it's been refretted now it's likely been sanded away...

They could be flat due to a lot of playing but it sounds like the guitar was generally new and mostly unused when you got it.

It doesn't sound like he did a good job if the action is variable over the length of the neck.

EDIT: Can you maybe post some pictures of the issues you're talking about, it might help us tell you what out of place...

Hey Krasimir, They're more rounded than flat, that's for sure. I got a standard '04 SJ200 a few years ago, bBefore they started making different versions. Wasn't planning on this model- but when I found it, the rich tone and versatility of it's voice just made me forget I wanted a Hummingbird, or a J45. I guess you think you're a Scotch drinker, until you taste a really good tequiila! Congratulations on having made an Excellent choice.

wouldn't say they're flat, but they're not super-tall and rounded on top (generally). I've got a 90's epiphone that had frets that are tall enough to throw the note off a full 1/2 step if you get a little aggressive with it, my gibson's not so much.

I don't know if you would remember now at this point, but the binding on the neck was probably cut so that it came up at the fret ends (and covered the end of the fret). If it's been refretted now it's likely been sanded away...

They could be flat due to a lot of playing but it sounds like the guitar was generally new and mostly unused when you got it.

It doesn't sound like he did a good job if the action is variable over the length of the neck.

EDIT: Can you maybe post some pictures of the issues you're talking about, it might help us tell you what out of place...

Well, the guitar was unplayed when I received it the 09.02.2009.

I found that this guitar is made 2007.

So I think that flat freths were more confortable to me... I have no way to know the truth 'cause I have no e-mail contact with the lest owner...

Now it is very late atnight here in BG and I will try tomorrow to make some pistures.

...... but, friends - I don't know how to post pictures here..... Would you help me by telling me the steps?....

I guess that I'll give M-r Gibs to another luthier in the end of March... Untill then I'll play like that!

Hey Krasimir' date=' I guess you think you're a Scotch drinker, until you taste a really good tequiila! Congratulations on having made an Excellent choice.[/quote']

Here we drink plum brandy. No tekila.

And me - I drink "Mastika" - aniset alcohol 47% - strong...

I definitely wil have mj SJ-100 when I die. It is my idea of the ultimate acoustic. (plain,yes, I like it plain). But all of the cowboy had a J-200 at some point. You will see them in the old pictures on National Barn Dance and Grand Old Opry. (I searched the web for some pictures). A lot of them had a J-200 (Gene, Emmy Lou Harris, Elvis, Roy Rogers). There aren't many guitars like it. I can be playing swing and jazz .. and somebody will always ask for some Hank Williams or other country tunes .. so the jumbo acoustic is always in demand ... but not just country songs. If you pick/chord folk such as Greensleeves, Scarboro Fair, Shenandoah, Ashgrove or WildWood Flower the Jumbo is beautiful. The tone is magnificent. Nothing like it. I can play blues and swing too. For acoustic blues use 7ths instead of 9ths. 1-4-5-7 . i JUST DROPPED MY keyboard. (I hate computers -- I love guitars)

Well friends here are some pictures I just made with mi cell phone camera.

M-r Gibs freths 4

M-r Gibs finaly at home!

Freths 3

Freths 2

Freths 1

Freths 01

M-r Gib's first time on stage 16.02.2009

M-r Gib's head

I hope now someone tell me:

Are those freths looking well for a Gibson SJ 200 , or those freths on the pictures are more rounded than are usualy the freths of a Gibson SJ 200?

Before I gave M-r Gibs to the luthier the fterhs were defenitely much more flatted. And the luthier himxelf tld me that he took them all of the neck, rouded them and turned them back on the neck.

I need your opinions about the frets because I have no Gibson cervise here in my country.

And another question - don't you think that the strings are positionned a little bit wide on the neck? Shouldn't they be arranged a little bit narrow one to other?

Forgive my english - it is not so good...

Thanks!

Nice playing and singing' date=' enjoy your Gibson nice SJ! what a beauty! The frets looks like jumbo frets and should last you a long time. I wish you years and years of wonderful song writing and playing with it!:-k:-s=D> [/quote']

OK, but what you are going to say about the order of the strings on the nut?

Shouldn't the strings be arranged a little bit narrow?

I ask that because I have no point for compareson...

And while playing The first string is slipping from the neck sometimes if I don't pay much attention...

That's why I think the strings should be a little bit narrow arranged.

What you are going to say?

Congratulations' date=' that is one beautiful guitar. I love it! Did you sell all your furniture to pay for it?!?

I really have GAS now...........[/quote']

See now... I am not so good in american english, so please tell me with other words what means the third and the forth frase...

Sorry...

See now... I am not so good in american english' date=' so please tell me with other words what means the third and the forth frase...[/quote']

You show your guitar in an empty-looking room, and everybody knows that Gibson SJs are not inexpensive, hence the question: "did you sell your furniture to buy it?"

And to suffer from "GAS" = have "gear acquisition syndrome," the fabled sickness that causes us to buy new guitars from time to time.

Hope that helps!

Archived