Gibson Brands Forums

The 'other' Gallagher showing how it should be done

pippy

Hadn't seen this clip before.

It's not his best self-penned track by a fair margin (IMO) but when you can play as good as Rory it's still going to be better than pretty much anything else out there at the same time.

His long-time buddy and friend Gerry McEvoy (on bass) is on astonishing form.

Hope you like it somewhat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lROruo8G7Yo

I hope he realises how much he devalued that Strat by swapping out the bridge saddles......msp_scared.gif......

Pip.

Very nice Pip - that's what we would refer to here in South Carolina as some kick-a** rock-n-roll.

In addition to those bridge saddles I think a lot of his tone has to be attributed to the curly patch cord [sneaky]

Anyway I thank you for posting as I really enjoyed it.

I've actually seen or posted that clip here before. I remember because I commented that he is using what looks like a Fender Super instead of the oft associated with Rory AC30.

I sure didn't mind seeing it again though. I enjoy seeing when he uses what pickup switch positions. I always learn or think of something new when I see him play.

Tonight for example I am hearing that song with background vocals. Shame no one else was singing as that would have made the choruses really great.

odd... I'm not seeing a working link?!

I saw Rory a couple of times locally during the 70s. One at Portsmouth Guildhall & another at South Parade Pier. The SPP one was at the time of his Live in Europe release.

I wonder why you don't see the link?......eusa_think.gif......

Google 'Rory Gallagher Shadow Play 1978 Germany' on youtube and it should pop up. MikeNadi Channels is the person who placed it on the 'tube.

I never did get to see him live which is a bit of a pity since he had - and left - such an influence on me as a player. "Irish Tour '74"is an all-time favourite of mine.

I always thought "I'll see him next time" and, of course, eventually there WAS no next time. Lesson Learned.

Not terribly interesting story but, hey, it's on topic;

Back in the days when I used to play out I was chatting to one of my favourite (and absolutely fantastic) local gigging guitarists(*) who was also a Gallagher fan. He had just been to see him play in Glasgow's Apollo Theatre a couple of nights earlier. Arriving with an hour to spare my friend thought he'd go for a quick pint in a pub a little further along the street. As he took his beer to a table who should be sitting, on his tod, at the same table but Rory. They spent a very amiable half-hour shooting the breeze...

Pip.

* George Ross Watt was his name. His main band was 'Big George and the Business' for anyone from that age and from the west coast of Scotland who might remember him/them. He had a bit of a sad end, I believe.

EDIT : I had a quick google for George Ross Watt and, incredibly, there was an obituary for him printed in the Glasgow Herald!

Here's the link for those with a sense of the curious;

http://www.heraldsco...g_George__Watt/

The 'Burns Howff' (in Falkirk) mentioned was where I always saw him. I had forgotten he used to call his band 'The Blues Legend' before they became 'Big George..'.

I wonder why you don't see the link?......eusa_think.gif......

Google 'Rory Gallagher Shadow Play 1978 Germany' on youtube and it should pop up. MikeNadi Channels is the person who placed it on the 'tube.

EDIT : I had a quick google for George Ross Watt and, incredibly, there was an obituary for him printed in the Glasgow Herald!

Here's the link for those with a sense of the curious;

http://www.heraldsco...g_George__Watt/

The 'Burns Howff' (in Falkirk) mentioned was where I always saw him. I had forgotten he used to call his band 'The Blues Legend' before they became 'Big George..'.

Well its working today! Just had a listen. Thanks for that. I'm just about to look up these other links of yours :)

Rocking out on an old Gibson Melody Maker [smile] in the 80's...

Wouldn't have necessarily pictured you in the cultural hotspot of Falkirk Pip. Pleased to see you survived any engagement with my in-laws...

The coincidences keep coming...

Mark Feltham (in the clip you posted) was the front man of a band called Nine Below Zero. The first time I heard of NBZ was when a friend and former Falkirk schoolmate, who had gravitated to London, played me their 'Live at the Marquee' album sometime around '81'-'82. I had a tape made of that album but always wanted to get it on CD. It wasn't to be available on that format until 2004 - 24 years after the vinyl release.

During that same visit 'South' my friend and I went to see Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders in 'The Oval Bar', Stockwell. It was a very worthwhile trip!

Incidentally, Feltham and NBZ guitarist Dennis Greaves lived just a few doors apart in the London suburb of Tulse Hill which is about 2 miles from where I'm sitting as I type.

Falkirk actually had a pretty active live music scene back in the late '70s and early '80s. As well as hosting blues/rock acts Falkirk's Burns Bar (the 'Howff' mentioned in the obituary earlier) was home of the local Folk Music Club. It was the first time I realised that REAL Scottish folk music was Bloody Good! They had players such as **** Gaughan - little known outside of Scotland - over on a regular basis. Another venue, The Magpie, held blues/rock gigs every Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Falkirk was a surprisingly good place to grow up if you liked live music!

Your other half doesn't come from the Adelaide area by any chance? You never know; we could be related!!!.............msp_scared.gif...............

Pip.

EDIT : Risking the wrath of the OP for going off-topic - and just for fun - here's a clip of Gaughan. This was probably recorded around the time I first saw him. At the time I'd never seen anyone with a technique anything like his in my life!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOH7Mvev30A

That's pretty cool - is he of Falkirk? - might see if he has an album to buy my father in law for Xmas.His dad was a Falkirk man, though the clan was Donnachaidh up round Loch Rannoch, guess they moved down for work at some stage long ago. They have relatives there who visit Oz occasionally and we have a standing offer of accomodation - near the Bairns home ground I think. I've been through there 20 years ago when I took an old wall cottage on an estate at west Plean for a week out of Stirling with my wife on our honeymoon, but can't say I recall the town in any detail.

...That's pretty cool - is he of Falkirk? - might see if he has an album to buy my father in law for Xmas.His dad was a Falkirk man, though the clan was Donnachaidh up round Loch Rannoch, guess they moved down for work at some stage long ago...

No, Scales, Gaughan is a Glaswegian - a whopping 25 miles west of Falkirk.

If I might make a suggestion album-wise then you could do an awful lot worse than to plump for 'Handful of Earth'. According to his wiki entry;

"...in 1989 (it) was voted album of the decade by Folk Roots magazine in both readers' and critics' polls..."

My own favourite, as it happens, is his previous album - titled simply 'Gaughan'.

And I know the area around Loch Rannoch and Rannoch Moor so can well understand why anyone would find it neccessary to leave in order to find employment.

A whole lot of scenery, for sure, but you can't eat scenery...

Pip.

I recall travelling from Dunkeld where the names on graves at the Cathedral ruins were often her own, and up through Pitlochry, Killiecrankie, on to Blair Castle and the Loch. Beautiful country! I'll look for your album - that song evokes embers in a hearth while weathered, quiet men slowly nod their heads and nurse their pint. ...of course he's no soft romantic like me, but he'd listen to that whilst sipping a dram. Definitely.

Archived