Gibson Brands Forums

PSA. Recent J50 for sale

MorrisrownSal

I saw that listing for Elderly's J-50 the other day & started contemplating it a bit.

Then tonight I pulled the '02 J-45 Rosewood out of it's case for a little revisit.

Contemplation cancelled - Gibson roundshoulder slot fully covered!

I did that to a J45 in my ignorant youth😨

I would have, but I couldn't afford them. I put Grover Sta-Tites on instead, and they're still there more than 45 years later. In fairness, the old Klusons were nothing to write home about by then, and I didn't know enough to clean them and re-lube. Now I can resuscitate old tuners from almost any state, and enjoy doing it.

A college room mate had a D-18 with Rotomatics, and for some reason I thought they looked cool back then.

I saw that listing for Elderly's J-50 the other day & started contemplating it a bit.

Then tonight I pulled the '02 J-45 Rosewood out of it's case for a little revisit.

Contemplation cancelled - Gibson roundshoulder slot fully covered!

Yeah, I got it covered too. Not an inkling, not a smidgeon of desire for any J45/50 other than the one I have sitting in its case. Certainly glad that does not extend any further though. I cannot imagine going through life without being haunted by some guitar. Everybody needs a goal to strive towards.

On mine, I changed the tuners to creme button golden age restoration tuners...

I did the same thing on my 2008 J-50. I like the way they look, but they don't operate all that well - very stiff. Much happier with the Klusons that I put on my 1965 J-50, I may put some of these on the 2008 J-50 eventually.

new%20tuners.jpg

FWIW, I got the 2008 J-50 at Guitar Center back in 2014, it was $1500 with zero interest financing for 18 months but I paid it off in less than a year. :)

Most of you know that my goto guitar, and my favorite, is my 2012 J50. It’s fantastic.

Elderly has one for sale with an $1800 ask...

https://www.elderly.com/catalog/product/view/id/142674/s/gibson-j-50-2011/category/816/

not that I wan to rain on anybody's parade, but it seems to me, as if the guitar has one of those infamous laminated bridges.... [scared]

not that I wan to rain on anybody's parade, but it seems to me, as if the guitar has one of those infamous laminated bridges.... [scared]

Not raining here, Johnny- if it is photo #3 that is causing some question, to these eyes, it does not look like anything that could not be accounted for by variations in the grain direction as it's being cut to shape the bridge.

Archived