Gibson Brands Forums

Tele bridge covers

Tim Plains

Old timers would use em' for a pivot. I could never stand em.

I really don't see how they could have any effect on tone, Tim. At all. It would all be in your hand, how it feels to you.

Best of luck.

Murph.

I've had the same Tele since 1978 and I left the cover on for the first few years because that was the way it came from the factory so it HAD to be right.....right? And yes, I did see that I was one of the few left in the world who wasn't using it for an ashtray.

One day I took it off and never looked back, ever. I can't tell you that it makes any discernable difference in tone (I certainly didn't hear any) but the damping control you have with it off far outweighs any change in tone.

I think it's purely cosmetic, so if you aren't missing it.............

How's the Tele working out for you? Getting the sounds you were looking for? You did say in an earlier thread you were gassing for one, even though you weren't too keen on them, which I do get. Though with the 50th R9 you just got, the Tele wouldn't be getting a look in if it was me. Just my humble opinion. Congrats on both purchases by the way.

You did say in an earlier thread you were gassing for one' date=' even though you weren't too keen on them, which I do get.[/quote']

You do? Because, I don't!

Maybe you can explain it to me because I sure as heck don't understand why I want something I dislike so much. O:)

Though with the 50th R9 you just got' date=' the Tele wouldn't be getting a look in if it was me. Just my humble opinion.[/quote']

Oddly enough, I haven't touched it, or any other Les Paul, since I got this Tele on Monday.

It's just because this is a new type of guitar to me; whereas, the R9 is a LP and I have become accustomed to the way they all feel.

The Tele is pretty cool and so far I'm enjoying it.

Regarding Telecaster Bridge Cover - Leo's intent was to provide additional shielding for the single coil bridge pickup - to minimize hum. That was the principal reason for the cover and the large steel bridge plate and the copper plated steel base plate under the Tele Bridge PU - these were all there to provide Electrical Grounded shielding - in those pre "humbucking PU days. And it served as a place to wrest your palm.

Watch Buddy Miller's high speed picking technique due to wresting his palm on a similar bridge cover on his Wandre

sound is out of sync with image - but you get the idea

http://tinyurl.com/djwgbh

But its true , most are discarded and used as Ashtrays - along with the similar bridge cover that came with vintage Strats, Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Starcaster,etc :-

Oddly enough' date=' I haven't touched it, or any other Les Paul, since I got this Tele on Monday.

It's just because this is a new type of guitar to me; whereas, the R9 is a LP and I have become accustomed to the way they all feel.

The Tele is pretty cool and so far I'm enjoying it.[/quote']

I only meant I do know of that feeling of gassing for gear that you don't necessarily have an attraction for, not that I am able to explain it! ](*,) I don't think gas can be explained, it just is. I find it easiest to just give in to it. My bank manager strongly disagrees.

Glad to hear you are finding the Tele cool, they have alot of fans on here.

Archived