Gibson Brands Forums

Chibson's...

NighthawkChris

I'll chime in from the perspective of a relative newcomer to this.

When I first heard the term Chibson, I thought it may have been in reference to Epi's. I don't know where one would go to find one of these or how you would come across one. I assume Ebay or something like that. Maybe Craig's list.

I do believe that anyone who thinks they're buying a real Gibson for pennies on the dollar from a sketchy source, it's probably not the first bad decision they've made and likely won't be the last. Likewise, if you think you've found a special, highly valuable instrument at market value from a sketchy source, and you proceed without knowing what you're doing, also, bad judgement.

You can't protect people from themselves and it doesn't seem like anyone is ever going to be able to stop the manufacture of these fake products. So that's that.

It's like cheep "Japanese" swords. You can probably find one on Ebay for $25 bucks and hang it on the wall, but it won't make you a Samurai. Everyone knows that real Samurai don't shop on Ebay.

So basically they deserve it.

You guys have convinced me. Since you can't stop it it's fine.

Fraud and counterfeiting are wrong? I don't know what I was thinking.

It's like rape, murder, burglary. You'll never be able to stop it. So....hey, they get what they deserve.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll chime in from the perspective of a relative newcomer to this.

When I first heard the term Chibson, I thought it may have been in reference to Epi's. I don't know where one would go to find one of these or how you would come across one. I assume Ebay or something like that. Maybe Craig's list.

I do believe that anyone who thinks they're buying a real Gibson for pennies on the dollar from a sketchy source, it's probably not the first bad decision they've made and likely won't be the last. Likewise, if you think you've found a special, highly valuable instrument at market value from a sketchy source, and you proceed without knowing what you're doing, also, bad judgement.

You can't protect people from themselves and it doesn't seem like anyone is ever going to be able to stop the manufacture of these fake products. So that's that.

It's like cheep "Japanese" swords. You can probably find one on Ebay for $25 bucks and hang it on the wall, but it won't make you a Samurai. Everyone knows that real Samurai don't shop on Ebay.

Chibsons are really hard to find these days.

This one took me a whole 20 seconds to find:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Shop-Les-Paul-Standard-Burst-VOS-59/282722467406?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Of course Ebay has a policy against counterfeits so I guess that means it's legit.

It's like rape, murder, burglary. You'll never be able to stop it. So....hey, they get what they deserve.

Look up "false equivalence". I'm pretty sure you use it all the time with no idea that you are.

rct

Look up "false equivalence". I'm pretty sure you use it all the time with no idea that you are.

rct

What's false about it? You can't stop rape, murder or burglary so "get over it" right?

Drugs? Can't stop em. So the opiate epidemic we have? "get over it".

You old fellows convinced me. If you can't stop something screw those affected by it.

Words of wisdom.

I haven't read every single post in this thread but I don't think anyone is saying that "it's fine". I thnk people are just being realistic about what can be done about it.

As for people "deserving" things or not, sometimes people do have to learn things the hard way. Hopefully at least maybe they will learn from it. Life's tough, wear a helmet.

...Some pirates have nice guitars.... :)...

...Some are real good guitar players...

...All he had to do was put the costume on. He needed no makeup...

...Well, they did clean him up a bit!...

...Some were fabulous singer/songwriter/arranger/frontman/video artists...

Well, Shiver Me Timbers and Call Me a Landlubber'd Luddite; this DID turn into National Pirate Day Page after all!

Just wanted to put some of my fave bits from this thread in the one place......msp_smile.gif......

...It was exquisite...

I'm delighted to hear you confirm my expectations.

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

I haven't read every single post in this thread but I don't think anyone is saying that "it's fine". I thnk people are just being realistic about what can be done about it.

As for people "deserving" things or not, sometimes people do have to learn things the hard way. Hopefully at least maybe they will learn from it. Life's tough, wear a helmet.

All I've said is that it's wrong yet you're all saying "get over it", "nothing can be done", "quit whining", "If they buy a guitar without due diligence they deserve it" etc.

Like I keep saying, who knew being against fraud was such a controversial stance? I haven't said anything about doing anything about it other than what I can. It's wrong and I wouldn't promote or buy a counterfeit anything. I definitely wouldn't defraud someone by selling them a Chinese fake Gibson.

Crazy I know. Now by all means, tell me again how they "deserve it" and since "nothing can be done" it's not a big deal.

I mean, seriously, half the guys in here apparently don't even use Craigslist or Ebay lol, but they're going to talk about counterfeit guitars? One guy (maybe you I can't recall) said he wouldn't even know how to find a Chibson? You don't know how to do a Google search or search on Ebay or Craigslist?

Really speaks to their credentials as far as knowledge of counterfeit guitars goes. But I notice it hasn't stopped them from replying.

Really nice bubbles, really nice fruit. Look for a thread: NCD!! New Champagne Day, last month.

Ahhh! Found it; thanks!

I go away for a week and miss the most insightful post here for, oohhhh, twelve decades!......lol!

And Damn!

The only down-side is that now I want to taste just how good it is for myself...

Pip.

Ahhh! Found it; thanks!

I go away for a week and miss the most insightful post here for, oohhhh, twelve decades!......lol!

And Damn!

The only down-side is that now I want to taste just how good it is for myself...

Pip.

You were probably across the chunnel in <pronounce like George Blagden in Versailles> France getting some for cheap.

rct

He must be a land pirate. There are not a lot of trees on pirate ships. And what is that big wheel thing right there, that is not to Piratey. And he probable know the other two half naked pirates.

Yeah but MAN him and Marco as Adam and the Ants remains one of the probably three best rock shows I'm ever seent in my life. One of the other three was the week after, same Tower Theater, the Rebel Yell tour. MAN Billy Idol was a roaring inferno of Rock. Good, long, multi-colored hair times.

rct

You are letting your emotions run away and you are getting all bent out of shape, and not reading many people wrote. We are not saying murder, rape, faking guitar, and drug abuse is okay. I'm saying how are we going to stop any of it. There are laws in place right now against drugs and are people doing them in your home town, and where your kids (if you have any) go to school. Yep they sure are. Is there a chance someone will be raped today some where in the USA. There are law against it. Why is it still going on. The answer is there are bad people in the world who just want to make a buck or a Yuan in the case of the Chinese. So give me a logical and real way to stop any of it. I already know the answer. You can't, but does it mean we don't care, NO except that miserable bastid rct and his imported fine champagne and that dreamy Adam Ant.

Not getting bent out of shape at all unless you think pointing out dumb stuff is getting bent out of shape.

And I have no idea why you all keep arguing about stopping it. I've never said anything about stopping it, just that I don't support it and I do care if someone gets ripped off.

You guys are the ones who keep arguing about "not being able to stop it" as if that has anything to do with what I've said.

My point about rape, murder, drugs etc is many of you here keep arguing, "hey, you can't stop it", "people are dumb and they deserve it", etc.

Nope, I can't stop it just like I can't stop murder or rape or robberies or kidnapping or any other bad thing that people do. That doesn't mean I'm going to go "just get over it" when I hear about someone getting raped or murdered.

Stopping crime and finding it disgusting and unacceptable are two totally different things and a lot you guys seem to have a real problem understanding that for some reason.

Stopping crime and finding it disgusting and unacceptable are two totally different things and a lot you guys seem to have a real problem understanding that for some reason.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no trouble understanding any of it, I just don't care about it. You seem to have a real problem understanding that for some reason.

rct

I do care if someone gets ripped off, but if your are of average intelligence and you buy a "Gibson" LP Standard from China at $300 and think you got the Holy Grail '59 like Jimmy Pages you are delusional. If someone buys a LP from ebay and pays what is the going rate for a guitar and gets taken that sucks, but buying direct form China, and you expect quality, come on man.

I'll give you 5 hunnert for that D-18 and not a nickel more. It's ten less than a 28 so consider yourself lucky, Chief.

rct

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no trouble understanding any of it, I just don't care about it. You seem to have a real problem understanding that for some reason.

rct

No, I understand it just fine. I didn't argue with you about that, some people are just not good people and don't have any empathy. I get it.

But the fact (as you admitted) is you don't know what you're talking about. You don't go on Ebay, or look on Craigslist. You admitted you have no idea about Chibsons or the amount of counterfeiting that goes on today.

Your big contribution was what an "insider" told you 20 years ago when most people didn't even have the internet let alone shop on it.

No, I understand it just fine. I didn't argue with you about that, some people are just not good people and don't have any empathy. I get it.

But the fact (as you admitted) is you don't know what you're talking about. You don't go on Ebay, or look on Craigslist. You admitted you have no idea about Chibsons or the amount of counterfeiting that goes on today.

Your big contribution was what an "insider" told you 20 years ago when most people didn't even have the internet let alone shop on it.

But I don't care, so why should I care about your righteous indignation? I don't care about either thing, and I don't care that I don't know what I'm talking about. I also don't care if you do know what you are talking about, because being an expert on counterfeit guitars get's you the same thing as a person who knows nothing about them, a spot in a guitar forum carping back and forth about it.

And I don't care about that either.

rct

So...why are you here and commenting? Had to get your shot in on the horse?

Yep, and to see you show your a$$ as I predicted. At this point, what are you trying to prove? What response are you looking for? Are you just out for a troll? TROLLING!!! That's it!! Now all your babble makes sense!!! LOL

I do care if someone gets ripped off, but if your are of average intelligence and you buy a "Gibson" LP Standard from China at $300 and think you got the Holy Grail '59 like Jimmy Pages you are delusional. If someone buys a LP from ebay and pays what is the going rate for a guitar and gets taken that sucks, but buying direct form China, and you expect quality, come on man.

Dude...read what I wrote. Nobody is buying a Chibson for 300 bucks thinking it's real. That's still bad, it's still counterfeiting, but 99.999999% of the people buying Chibsons for $300 bucks know they're fakes.

The big problem is when they try to pass that fake Supreme or Custom or Standard off as real. When they take that $300 Chibson and put it on Reverb or Ebay or Craigslist or wherever guitars are sold and ask $2000 for it.

People get ripped off all the time.

Really, I've said this multiple times. It's almost like you're not reading ...or understanding....what is said to you. Fakes are a huge problem. Just because you don't care and are unaware doesn't make it any less true.

"get over it" remember?

Yep, and to see you show your a$$ as I predicted. At this point, what are you trying to prove? What response are you looking for? Are you just out for a troll? TROLLING!!! That's it!! Now all your babble makes sense!!! LOL

Another shot to the dead horse? Didn't see that coming.

What is it with so many of you guys here saying one thing and then doing another?

But I don't care, so why should I care about your righteous indignation? I don't care about either thing, and I don't care that I don't know what I'm talking about. I also don't care if you do know what you are talking about, because being an expert on counterfeit guitars get's you the same thing as a person who knows nothing about them, a spot in a guitar forum carping back and forth about it.

And I don't care about that either.

rct

Yeah you don't care. I heard you the first 20 times.

You also don't know what you're talking about.

The two are probably related.

Archived