Gibson Brands Forums

GAS Buildup

Beerad12

Two grand for an SG, they say.

Yeah I know. It's probably the biggest hurdle for me. Even if they offered it 20% of that list price it's still a little much. I wonder if these guitars are intended to be 2019 supplemental models or just retailer specific models. I like SG''s but I am very specific about the model I would like to own and this model checks 9 outta 10 boxes, I just don't like the price.

I guess this was part of a LE run of 2019 Gibson's AMS is doing. Today they sent me an email with the rest of the 2019 LE Guitars listed. They almost got the Firebird 1 right. Mini grovers on a Firebird just dont do it for me. Probably a good thing or else I'd trying to justify 2 new guitars for 2019. Dodged one there!😆

https://www.americanmusical.com/Gibson-Promo

Kindof a weird model to me. It has the Maestro, which I would expect to find on a “reissue” type guitar, but otherwise doesn’t really resemble an actual vintage SG model with its new body style and color

Yeah, I've seen AMS do a number of these LE models over the years and it seems like they offer guitars that are just slightly more "unique" for lack of a better term, compared to the current lineup. There somewhere between reissues and in my opinion AMS's take on what people may want that Gibson isn't offering in the USA lineup. The problem is they immediately jack the price up on these models. I mean playing devils advocate for myself the SG I posted about is little more than a standard with a maestro vibrola. Still a handsome guitar but does the vibrola add $500+ bucks over what you'd pay for a standard. Also, I'd been jonesing for a firebird 1 for a while now and when I saw the body of the LE model I immediately lost my mind. Then got to the picture of the headstock and that excitement quickly disappeared. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall ever seeing a vintage Firebird 1 with mini grovers on it. Always banjo turners. It's starting to make me wonder if Gibson is moving on from the stienberger tuners.

I couldn't agree more. I could see twelve to fourteen hundred with case.

I agree. I paid $1390.00 delivered for a new 2017 SG Standard HP. The HP comes with real MOP inlays and other upgrades and the Gibson premium aluminum case was included. $2k seems like way too much.

Archived