Gibson Brands Forums

Is it Mother of Pearl (MOP) or Pearloid?

silver_mica

I think it's something in between MOP and pearloid. I think I read that somewhere. I think pearloid is the super cheap plastic imitation. I could be wrong.

That was for production models tho, I dunno about CS.

Edited by Pinch

2 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Yup MOP real deal 

Pearloid is plastic

Maybe called Acrylic?

Isn't MOP just the inside of sea shells? There are tons of oyster shells around where I live since the Atlantic Ocean is about 3/4 of a mile from my  house. People have lots of them in their yard around their shrubs.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe called Acrylic?

Isn't MOP just the inside of sea shells? There are tons of oyster shells around where I live since the Atlantic Ocean is about 3/4 of a mile from my  house. People have lots of them in their yard around their shrubs.

Yes, but its easier to order a pallet load of plastic than to employ beachcombers. Could be an earner to an enterprising fellow near the coast? Otherwise it pay big money to the pros https://www.originalmarquetry.co.uk/product-category/mother-of-pearl/

On 8/21/2023 at 11:45 PM, Pinch said:

I think it's something in between MOP and pearloid. I think I read that somewhere. I think pearloid is the super cheap plastic imitation. I could be wrong.

That was for production models tho, I dunno about CS.

Yeah you are right I guess it must be "acrylic pearloid" just like the inlays and not real MOP. 

The specs Gibson quotes for the oldest online legacy archive models (2015) are MOP peghead - typically Crown & Gibson logo. Fingerboard inlays are Pearloid for this ES-390

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2015/Memphis/ES-390.aspx This may be the case for the Memphis models (ES at that time). My oldest Gibson, a 1998 LP DC Standard is the same. There's a visible difference. 

The 2015 solid body Nashville models are different. My 2015 LP Less Plus has MOP fingerboard inlays. 

But what is completely weird is that the 2015 LP Studio has a Silkscreened peghead logo, but MOP fingerboard inlays. 

The pearloid inlays dont seem to be iridescent. They have no 'moving colour'. The MOP ones certainly do.