Gibson Brands Forums

Good economic story (really, I'm not kidding)

RudyH

I don't get the gun thing.

For many years I owned a 357 Magnum. I will take it up to the range every few weeks. I enjoyed it. But then I had kids and couldn't stomach the thought of one of them getting their hands on it. So I locked it up. But then realized that if someone broke into my house, there would be very little I could do. It would take me about 20 minutes to get it out of the safe, unlock the trigger lock, load it, etc. .. So I sold it.

Now I just keep a baseball bat in my bedroom.

My dealer is hurting' date=' but high end stuff is still selling.

It's the cheaper stuff that budget buyers purchase that's not moving.

Gun sales, now THAT is a booming business!!!

God Bless America and B. Hussein Obummer!!![/quote']

Rule of acquisition #34 war is good for business

#33 Peace is good for business

You're in Chicago.

Enough said.

I grew up with ready access to more than a dozen firearms.

Nobody ever got killed because my old man would have killed us.

My kids have done very well in the same scenario, and my wife weighed this matter heavily.

The only trouble I had was when our oldest "borrowed" my truck that had a gun in it.

Truck was locked, inside my garage.

He found the spare key (brilliant sleuthing on his part) and went joyriding.

Decided to show my 10mm Glock to some of his buddies...

The bruises healed in a couple weeks.

Music stores are doing great around here... despite our commie regime's new idea of applying new (huge) taxes to "such luxury stuff as the electric guitar and electronic music related stuff like keyboards, pedals, and electronic drums". (They said by importing those things with the "normal" tax, importers were f-cking up the chances the locals had to sell their stuff. You know how many keyboard-pedal-electric guitars there are here? NONE. Tipycal of commie scum.

For many years I owned a 357 Magnum. I will take it up to the range every few weeks. I enjoyed it. But then I had kids and couldn't stomach the thought of one of them getting their hands on it. So I locked it up. But then realized that if someone broke into my house' date=' there would be very little I could do. It would take me about 20 minutes to get it out of the safe, unlock the trigger lock, load it, etc. .. So I sold it.

Now I just keep a baseball bat in my bedroom.

[/quote']

I never liked guns (and dont get them really)... I dont keep baseball bats tho... I have a huge sledge hammer in my room next to the door, a little harder to use, but once you use it, its lots of fun.

I have a huge sledge hammer in my room next to the door

Take the handle out of it.

Really.

Swinging a big hammer?

I'd let you swing it once and take it away from you.

:-)

The handle in it is perfect - light enough to swing quickly (and accurately) while sturdy enough to inflict incredible amounts of pain without inflicting grave bodily harm.

Of course, if harm is your intent, concentrate on the head/neck/throat area....

I never liked guns (and dont get them really)... I dont keep baseball bats tho... I have a huge sledge hammer in my room next to the door' date=' a little harder to use, but once you use it, its lots of fun.[/quote']

How do you get used to it? Swing it around for a few minutes every day?

That's an interesting point on the gun sales. I was surprised to learn that the FBI periodically estimates the number of privately owned firearms in the U.S. (i.e., not police, military, or any government owned guns). There are more of them than there are people. I think the last estimate was something like 350 million and growing fast. There are way more privately owned guns per capita than there were at any previous time in history.

Ironically, crime with guns is pretty low and the rate of violent crime committed with guns is not proportional to the number of guns owned. Also ironically, the amount of violent crime in this country has been dropping steadily for years. Most of the people killed with guns are suicides. More kids drown in water buckets than are killed with firearms. The objectively verifiable facts are nothing at all like the horror that one expects from watching the nightly news.

An interesting example comes from today's announcement that the Clinton "assault weapons" ban is being reconsidered. One of the driving needs for this is cited as being the availability of guns for crimes committed in Mexico, not for crimes committed in the U.S. That's a pretty weak argument in my book.

Even the use of the word "assault weapon" is incorrect, at least technically because assault weapons in a military sense are capable of fully automatic machine-gun type fire. Although such guns can be owned by U.S. citizens with special licenses, this is not what the Democrats are talking about. They are talking about guns that are similar to the guns commonly used for home defense, duck hunting, and such, but which are generally painted black and have a military look to them.

The handle in it is perfect - light enough to swing quickly (and accurately) while sturdy enough to inflict incredible amounts of pain without inflicting grave bodily harm.

Of course' date=' if harm is your intent, concentrate on the head/neck/throat area....[/quote']

I like to use it to hit peoples feet and toes... once they are down it's really easy to make short work of them...

I have some throwing knives too... but those have never been used on anyone, I swear.

My SP101 (.357 Mag.) is under my mattress, under my pillow. I sleep like a baby.

I never got how anyone could sleep in a house with their children WITHOUT a gun.....

"Baseball bat"?

Yea, you're covered...................

Murph.

You're in Chicago.

Enough said.

I grew up with ready access to more than a dozen firearms.

Nobody ever got killed because my old man would have killed us.

My kids have done very well in the same scenario' date=' and my wife weighed this matter heavily.

The only trouble I had was when our oldest "borrowed" my truck that had a gun in it.

Truck was locked, inside my garage.

He found the spare key (brilliant sleuthing on his part) and went joyriding.

Decided to show my 10mm Glock to some of his buddies...

The bruises healed in a couple weeks.[/quote']

I agree, even as a young kid, I was around guns, my dad had them, My older cousin, my Grandfather was a collector of some note at one time........

I don't remember not knowing and understanding how dangerous they were, and not toys at all. You shot cap guns at other kids, not real ones.

I remember when you would hear about hunting tragedies, or kids finding one and it "going off" etc. I remember the lecture was always coming.

I remember at a young age going hunting with people who didn't have the same respect as I and never going with them again.

I remember my best friend's dad and older brother having guns around and he nor I ever considered touching them or opening the gun cabinet, etc.

I remember us having BB guns and treating them with great reverence and respect, because we didn't want to "put an eye out."

So I have never gotten the issue with guns and kids. I was educated about them at the earliest of ages, and repeatedly until last week when I told my dad I was going to shoot on some land of his and he told me at least a half dozen times before I left to be careful. I'm 30!

There are certainly exceptions, I could mention a few myself, but stupidity tends to happen to stupid people.

My house is full of legal guns.

My 9 year old daughter can shoot her .22 and kill a rabbit, or a squirrel if it will hold still long enough.

Then we'll eat it.

What's the problem?

We'll kill a fish, a deer, or whatever we want, on our land, and eat it.

Murph.

My SP101 (.357 Mag.) is under my mattress' date=' under my pillow. I sleep like a baby.

I never got how anyone could sleep in a house with their children WITHOUT a gun.....

"Baseball bat"?

Yea, you're covered...................

Murph.[/quote']

And you are covered when you kid gets your gun and blows his head off. Or he sneaks out of the house and comes back late at night and you mistake him for an intruder.

And you are covered when you kid gets your gun and blows his head off. Or he sneaks out of the house and comes back late at night and you mistake him for an intruder.

My kid can blow her head off with her own gun......

It's in her room.... Idiot.....

If she sneaks into my house late at night, she knows damned good and well her life is in danger.

What freakin' planet do you live on?

Sheeze.

Murph.

My kid can blow her head off with her own gun......

It's in her room.... Idiot.....

If she sneaks into my house late at night' date=' she knows damned good and well her life is in danger.

What freakin' planet do you live on?

Sheeze.

Murph.[/quote']

I am idiot because i should have realized you let your 9 year old keep a gun in her room?

Blue, this is one you'll never win.

Agree to disagree.

You do it your way (I really don't care) and please allow us to lawfully do it ours.

Fair enough?

I'll add one little nugget here to see if you scratch your head and think about it or tell me to pack sand...

Do you have a spare tire in your car?

Do you carry a cell phone? How about your wife/kids?

Do you have a spare key for your house?

Do you have some cash stashed away, or a credit card - just in case?

If you answered yes to ANY of these, why are you so paranoid?

My God, it's not like the sky is falling!

I consider a defensive weapon of any sort the same as a spare tire.

I hope I don't have to use it, but I NEVER leave the house without it and DAMNED sure won't skimp on home defense.

I have numerous handguns of various styles, from dainty little Derringers in the wife's collection to some mighty stuff.

My kids know too the hazards of sneaking in/out of windows or doing stupid sh!t in the middle of the night.

My wife is more likely to shoot than I am, she won't take any chances.

The kids know that they better start talking fast if something really stupid happens, the rest of my family is the same way.

Remind me to tell you the whole story of my 70 year old Mother and her defensive move at a car wash in Texas.

Briefly, a black kid decided to shake down an old white woman in broad daylight - with witnesses around.

Mom produced her S&W Airweight 642 in .38 cal.

Kid changed his mind, ran down the street screaming obsceneties at the top of his lungs...

Beautiful.

Mom finished wiping down her car, when no cops showed up she left.

You can bet no sh!t-heads in that neighborhood will ever trouble her again.

Archived