Gibson Brands Forums

Non Functioning Tone Pots

drew365

Just looking for some advice here. I bought a 2018 LP Standard HP from CME about seven or eight months ago. It was brand new. I don't put much play time in on it. It was kind of a scratch that itch purchase. Anyway, last night I realized that the tone pots are not functioning for tone. The push/pull works for selecting out of phase and inside or outside coil split. But there's absolutely no change what so ever from turning either tone pot. These are the plastic pots that are mounted on a pcb board. I usually just keep the pots full up, but I was feeling wild and decided to experiment some last night.

What I'm wondering is: has this been a problem that others have complained about, or am I just an unlucky guy? If I contact Gibson, will they do something about it? I'm not actually sure what the warranty is on the electronics. Thanks.

Just looking for some advice here. I bought a 2018 LP Standard HP from CME about seven or eight months ago. It was brand new. I don't put much play time in on it. It was kind of a scratch that itch purchase. Anyway, last night I realized that the tone pots are not functioning for tone. The push/pull works for selecting out of phase and inside or outside coil split. But there's absolutely no change what so ever from turning either tone pot. These are the plastic pots that are mounted on a pcb board. I usually just keep the pots full up, but I was feeling wild and decided to experiment some last night.

What I'm wondering is: has this been a problem that others have complained about, or am I just an unlucky guy? If I contact Gibson, will they do something about it? I'm not actually sure what the warranty is on the electronics. Thanks.

Don't know if this is a known issue, my newest LP is 16 years old..

I would contact Customer Service; as far as I know, the only thing the warranty usually won't cover are finish issues unless it is decided it was a defect from the factory.

Hi drew365,

Sounds to me like the pot's shaft is not engaging the wiper of the pot. The switch and resistance control are separate functions of the component, so the switch may still work while the variable resistance mechanically non-functional. As a matter of fact, I had an issue exactly like this where I has a 500k pot with the push-pull DPDT switch - bought from GC a Gibson brand pot - that would not change the resistance when the shaft was rotated. Oddly enough, when I pressed the shaft of the pot in the casing, it seemed to engage the wiper, but once I pulled the switch up, the wiper disengaged. It was a cheap-O pot as I like to call them. When I spend $20 or more for a pot, this stuff is unacceptable.

Overall, I feel your pain on this issue. The fact that the pot is on a PCB makes this a little more challenging and annoying. Let me just add that I have only seen the Gibson PCBs online as all my Gibsons are hand-wired, so how feasible something here is that I may suggest could be called into question, but someone essentially has to take that PCB out and de-solder the pot - or cut it out if possible - and carefully clean out the PCB vias to put another replacement part in if this be the case with your non-functional pot. There is no other solution to remedying a bad part other than replacement in one fashion or another. I would call Gibson and find out what they can do if you choose to go down this path. Maybe they just send you a new PCB... This way you just plug in your pickups and away you go! You could do this or if you're courageous enough, you could order a part from an electronics supplier (like Digikey or something) that might have a replacement part that you could put back in. OR... you could rewire the guitar without the PCB if you understand the connections you need to make to get the old functions the original had... Sorry, but to me these seem like the only real options you might have. Unless the pot starts to work again, you are most likely stuck with an electrical component that is bad per your description.

I'm going to dig my receipt out and give Gibson a call. I'm handy enough that I could change out the PCB. That would be preferable to me rather than ship the guitar somewhere. I like the guitar, except for the vintage frets. I could live with the plastic junk controls provided they function correctly. If all this becomes too big of a hassle, I'll have my luthier do a rewire with real pots and lose the dippy switches. Thanks.

For those that like pictures:

PNzaE40.jpg

If you mention to Customer Service that you are more than willing to swap it out yourself, they very well may send you a replacement. But if you live close to one of their "Authorized Gibson Service Centers" (basically a local shop authorized by Gibson to work on their guitars), they will more than likely request you to take there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Oh, and that guitar is a beauty! msp_thumbup.gif

Well, I could have just slithered away and not posted again, but I'll cop to being an idiot.

I keep the LP at home, where I don't have a practice amp. I plug direct into a DAW, use plug ins and then out to 5" monitors. It sounds pretty crappy and I didn't hear any tone change at all. I took the LP to my office last night where I keep my band rig and I plugged into a couple of amps. The tone pots are working, though there really isn't a very big range of change.

So I apologize to Gibson for dissing their plastic pots, and want to thank you guys for your insight. I have to say that the LP sounded so good last night, that I'm thinking of gigging it at our next show on the 8th. It has the Custombucker Pro + pups, if I remember correctly. They sounded really good with my rig. I'm glad this whole thing happened. Now I have an extra guitar to put into rotation.

1551283775[/url]' post='1980112']

... I have to say that the LP sounded so good last night, that I'm thinking of gigging it at our next show on the 8th. It has the Custombucker Pro + pups, if I remember correctly. They sounded really good with my rig. I'm glad this whole thing happened. Now I have an extra guitar to put into rotation.

Nice! Love it when a plan comes together! ;)

Archived