Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning Gibson guitars

Axelorox

I don't know if theres a list but I use Gibson fretboard conditioner on the necks, dampen a cotton cloth with windex for the chrome & actually use a can of old school Turtle wax for polishing the body, neck & headstock.

• 1 month later...

Naptha for cleaning, pure carnuba car wax,  and food grade mineral oil on fretboard are what I use. You can get cheap supplies from Home Depot that will last a life time!

I've used branding or private labeling  but these work well without the perfume smell. Only difference is that Gibson, Dunlop, etc do not get a cut in the sales... ha ha ha.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I use regular bore oil, or Music Namad's F-One Fretboard cleaner/oil for the fretboard.  

For Gibson's nitro finished guitars, I use Naptha to clean and then Meguiars rubbing and polishing compounds to remove scratches and/or polish to a factory new shine.   😉 

naphtha.jpg

meguiars.jpg

And I have also heard good things about that "Virtuoso Polish". 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2019 at 3:34 PM, arcticsg said:

I use regular bore oil, or Music Namad's F-One Fretboard cleaner/oil for the fretboard.  

For Gibson's nitro finished guitars, I use Naptha to clean and then Meguiars rubbing and polishing compounds to remove scratches and/or polish to a factory new shine.   😉 

naphtha.jpg

meguiars.jpg

And I have also heard good things about that "Virtuoso Polish". 🙂

hey arcticsg, do you use a special rag or something to use the Meguiar's polish/compound? i dont know much about  car products, but once i used a compound on my car and had a red rag that i bought from wal mart from the car department, and the damn thing bleed red hahaha, good thing my car is navy blue and it wasnt that much of a scratch

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FemmeParallell said:

hey arcticsg, do you use a special rag or something to use the Meguiar's polish/compound? i dont know much about  car products, but once i used a compound on my car and had a red rag that i bought from wal mart from the car department, and the damn thing bleed red hahaha, good thing my car is navy blue and it wasnt that much of a scratch

Nah, I just use those yellow flannel dusting cloths or 100% white cotton t-shirts.   Haven't had a problem with either.  🙂 

• Like 2