Gibson Brands Forums

"Sunday Morning Coming Down" Instrumental. Warning: Martin Content

BluesKing777

2 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I really, really, really enjoyed that.  Feels every bit as much like a "Sunday morning" as the lyrics do.  Lots of things I could say, but "DAMN!" pretty well sums it up....and I'll add that I'm a bit jealous, but also very inspired.

Thanks MP!

It is a very evocative and strange song and I didn’t sing it because for one, the only time I would sound gruff enough would be ..ha ha..Sunday morning after a bender and I doubt I have done that..this century, and secondly, the song gives me a hangover even if I don’t have one and then we get to the bit with ‘the Sunday smell of someone frying chicken’ and I have to stop playing and go to the kitchen to get something to eat! 😀

And while the tune could be a bit ‘elevator’ as it is on my track, it is good to try things like that to get some ‘feel’ in my other playing. And as an added but peculiar bonus, it is a good thing to do on new guitars to impart some vibe in to the guitar top....

BluesKing777.

11 minutes ago, billroy said:

Nice BK...  just wondering, it seems like anything 'blues' is in your comfort zone - what types of things do you play when you want to stretch yourself?  Just to note - I could listen to your stuff all day long!

Thanks Billroy!

Much appreciated...

Off the top of my head on a Monday night brain dead:

The song above is stretching it all a bit...country tune, and I am playing the melody line (vocal part) live off a lead sheet from a fake book as I record it, and added a few easy chords to fill it out...manly using my index fingernail.

While a lot of guitarists don’t read music or even need to, I am still glad I made an effort all those years back.....because I use it a lot and it doesn’t go away. Well worth the small amount of time spent.

But full stretch for BK777 is chord/melody jazz style or related things...I am terrible, but still enjoy having a run at it.

BluesKing777.

• Like 1