Gibson Brands Forums

1959 LG3 Through Tonedexter

BluesKing777

Dont be biting my head off now BK discussion only , not an argument

That sounds real nice , but £400 better ? I'm not so sure 

Still out on the tonedexter ...

Still my favourite sound you got was the spectrum aura from a couple years ago . I'd be more inclined to give one of those a go .

Still always nice to hear you play anything at all thougb

1 hour ago, blindboygrunt said:

Dont be biting my head off now BK discussion only , not an argument

That sounds real nice , but £400 better ? I'm not so sure 

Still out on the tonedexter ...

Still my favourite sound you got was the spectrum aura from a couple years ago . I'd be more inclined to give one of those a go .

Still always nice to hear you play anything at all thougb

I think it is at least 400 quid better because I fully paid for it a year and a half ago!

The Aura system has nothing for LG3s, Blues Kings, Cargills, Matons, Waterloos, new Taylors.... so Tonedexter is the one to make your own thing. But the Fishman pickup in the LG3 is really quacky rubbish and the sound above is what we got. It is a bit electric guitar sounding, isn’t it?

I have got some great sounds with the guitars mentioned but if I post them, everyone *****es and some even froth at the mouth. So I posted the LG3. Which is a pickup hater and only wants to stay home to play, I have come to the conclusion....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

Hey BK - sounded nice, a little more electric than other recordings with the TD (IMO) was there anything different than the other recordings.  Since you seem to have almost every gidget / gadget known to mankind - if you were to do a show (say 200 people or so) - and you could choose everything you want about the set up, would you use the TD, or what?

10 minutes ago, billroy said:

Hey BK - sounded nice, a little more electric than other recordings with the TD (IMO) was there anything different than the other recordings.  Since you seem to have almost every gidget / gadget known to mankind - if you were to do a show (say 200 people or so) - and you could choose everything you want about the set up, would you use the TD, or what?

A show?

First, where would I find 200 people? Free admittance and free beer?

But...... if I had a residency, every Friday night for a few months.......first 2 weeks are usually bundles of nerves and I would take the generally unflappable Maton 808s plugged direct to a PA using soundhole feedback eliminating plugs. One Maton for standard tune, one for slide Open G. By the 3rd week, I would be bored with myself and start thinking about playing guitars with bigger V necks and different sounds.....best sound I have in Tonedexter is currently using my new Taylor 717e with ES2  through Tonedexter, followed by my Cargill with K&K through Tonedexter. The only Gibson I have had any luck getting a good sound is my 1935 Gibson Black Special L50 and I would need to be careful where I take that!

BluesKing777.

Sounding good BK..

Nice arrangement, always loved this song, one of McLean's best works IMHO...  It's reminded me I should look to add this to my growing list of solo acoustic arrangements.

Grunt...  It IS pricey, there is no denying.   I sat in the weeds for quite a while before I finally pulled the trigger.   I figured if it was a bust, I had 30 days to return it..  low risk.. Not sorry I went this route.  The guy I do occasional duo stuff with noticed it right away the first time we got together.

Also, did an outdoor solo acoustic gig two sunday's ago .  The guitar player for that band that was playing after mentioned the tone I was getting didn't sound like a typical UST.    Of course it was, (I was using my Taylor Grand Symphony with a Fishman Infinity, and the Tonedexter... )  genius device despite the hefty cost.

30 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Sounding good BK..

Nice arrangement, always loved this song, one of McLean's best works IMHO...  It's reminded me I should look to add this to my growing list of solo acoustic arrangements.

Grunt...  It IS pricey, there is no denying.   I sat in the weeds for quite a while before I finally pulled the trigger.   I figured if it was a bust, I had 30 days to return it..  low risk.. Not sorry I went this route.  The guy I do occasional duo stuff with noticed it right away the first time we got together.

Also, did an outdoor solo acoustic gig two sunday's ago .  The guitar player for that band that was playing after mentioned the tone I was getting didn't sound like a typical UST.    Of course it was, (I was using my Taylor Grand Symphony with a Fishman Infinity, and the Tonedexter... )  genius device despite the hefty cost.

That is great news that you are getting out and about with the Tonedexter, KB!

These things sound better in a nice PA, more so outside. Recording the sound is a bit iffy. (I got a great sound with a guitar with just a Baggs M1A and EQ box at a friend’s house experimenting with his new PA....)

BluesKing777.

1 hour ago, BluesKing777 said:

That is great news that you are getting out and about with the Tonedexter, KB!

These things sound better in a nice PA, more so outside. Recording the sound is a bit iffy. (I got a great sound with a guitar with just a Baggs M1A and EQ box at a friend’s house experimenting with his new PA....)

BluesKing777.

yea, I've not tried recording with it yet,  I'm about to tho..

for the gig was using my 12 ch board and a pair of EV ZLX 12s,  which are a great set of powered speakers.  Borrowed from my Bro In-law.  Thinking of upgrading if these solo gigs get steady.

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I could not conjure up a cursed word about something that makes you happy.  In the words of Jefferson Airplane:

If you feel like china breaking,

If you feel like laughing,

Break china laughing

Can I have some of what you are on? Please?

Of course, happiness  is relative - the 59 is joyful to play unplugged.

BluesKing777.

On 7/4/2019 at 12:03 AM, kidblast said:

yea, I've not tried recording with it yet,  I'm about to tho..

for the gig was using my 12 ch board and a pair of EV ZLX 12s,  which are a great set of powered speakers.  Borrowed from my Bro In-law.  Thinking of upgrading if these solo gigs get steady.

I meant to reply the other day, KB....before you record with TD, read up the part in the manual about the different slots - slot 22 is for recording 'straight', while all the others 1 -21 get an algorithm that eliminates certain frequencies to prevent feedback in live situations, like having a notch filter on the highs and lows... (You can record the wave on 22 and save it to another slot...). My track above is recorded to slot 7, so it has the filter applied, but generally it is better to use slot 22 for a fuller sound for recording.

I was also having fun with some guitars using a plain old Shure SM57 to record the waves, might try the LG3 next. ( I did use my trusty Neumann KM184). But you can really hear the different mics - I suppose a recording engineer or soundman would select mics like they do for a job...."Hmm, I think I will use the SM57 for that... and "😎   But for certain guitars like my resonators, the SM57 and its narrower sound is the BOMB.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777