Gibson Brands Forums

Sale at RS Guitar

Tim Plains

I thought about selling my Custom but decided to keep it.

Tim, I wondered about what you had decided to do with your Silverburst (Mistress, right?). I'm glad you are keeping her. I thought about your question the other day (keep or sell), and I kept coming back to the fact that it was part of your engagement, too. You can always get a new historic, but you would probably never see that specific Custom again. Glad you are keeping it. =P~

Are Nine, thanks for the tip!

I'm gonna try the pre-wired vintage kit in one of

my Historics. Did you notice the improved volume/tone

control on the 50th? I believe this is from the pots being

audio taper. I won't get to try the upgrade 'til RS gets the

goods back in inventory.

Oh yeah.. congratulations on the new Custom.

Bluemoon, I'm no expert but I think Gibson generally uses linear

taper pots. Did you ever notice there isn't a dramatic difference when

turning the volume from 7 to 10? It really stands out w/ higher gain settings.

As far as I can tell, audio taper pots will improve this.

gromaj...yeah, that's Mistress. The guitar I kept hidden from my then girlfriend for a month!

Boy was she pissed when she first saw it...it was great! O:)

Bluemoon..."The pot values for all non-historics is 300K linear in the volume positions and 500K audio(log) in the tone positions. The Historic Reissues have 500K in all positions." That's directly from Gibson customer service.

HeadCase...yes, I did notice that the tone pots actually work now.

It's about time Gibson put decent pots on a $6,000 guitar!

I haven't looked inside yet but I read that the '09s have 50s wiring.

Maybe I'll go have a look right now...

Good teal Tim... And I remember when you and I were chatting early last year where you were looking for your R9. I missed the the actual purchase apparently, but I remember you said it wasn't worth the cost savings to have to ship back to Canada... SO you got it local is my take? Congrats.

I want to hear it !!!

Sure' date=' it's called move your a$$ to Canada. O:)

Good teal Tim... And I remember when you and I were chatting early last year where you were looking for your R9. I missed the the actual purchase apparently' date=' but I remember you said it wasn't worth the cost savings to have to ship back to Canada... SO you got it local is my take? Congrats.[/quote']

Yes, I bought it locally...great price, too! $4,500 Canadian. We get hosed on sales tax up here but there's nothing I can do about that. When I got the 2007 R9, list price was $5,100. Now they're $6,200!

Archived