Gibson Brands Forums

Supreme

Carbonite

So where does the Gibson Les Paul Supreme stand on the ranks of Gibson Les Pauls?

I mean if it looks something like this:

Customs -> Traditional/standard -> Studio

Where does the supreme stand? I figured in between custom and traditional/standard.

The one thing I really like about the supreme is the back is given the look and feel of the front. I also like all the extra stylish things they did.

Anyways, I bought a standard to learn on. Though I wanted a traditional. My intent was to save for a custom after I bought my first.

Anyways, I am starting to look into the customs and the Supreme has caught my eye.

Don't know how I will choose when it comes down to it because nobody lets you touch the customs.

Don't know how I will choose when it comes down to it because nobody lets you touch the customs.

They should, unless you under-aged.. lol...

Whatever you do dont go to guitar center!!!!! Unless its the one on Sunset Blvd in L.A....... Thats one heck of a store!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure that the LP Supreme is a Gibson USA guitar and is not made in the Custom Shop like the Customs, Reissues, VOS Les Pauls. I've never played a Supreme, but I bet they're sweet guitars. For the money I would buy something different, probably a Reissue, but if you find a Supreme you can't live without, I'm sure you'd be psyched with it. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure that the LP Supreme is a Gibson USA guitar and is not made in the Custom Shop like the Customs' date=' Reissues, VOS Les Pauls. I've never played a Supreme, but I bet they're sweet guitars. For the money I would buy something different, probably a Reissue, but if you find a Supreme you can't live without, I'm sure you'd be psyched with it. Good luck.[/quote']

It is a Gibson USA.

I love the look of that guitar.

However, I also love the look of the new 50th anniversary. But truly all of the original spec guitars look good. I just don't like solid colors. I like to see the wood. So no goldtop's or blacks.

To be blunt though I will definitely go for sound over color no question. I guess once I have the money in hand is when I will get to try them out, but the sales dude is going to have a long day.

Which model is that Rich?

Unknown except that it's a 1991 Custom Shop Custom with Super 400 inlays. I searched all over the place for info on it and all I could find was three other Harmony Central Reviews of it (the fourth being mine) and the rest of them are all in white; for all I know, it could be one of a kind (I doubt it, but I sure as hell can't find anything about another one). I contacted Gibson about the guitar about a year ago and they have no production numbers and basically told me that they built them for a short time around '91-92 and that it has the usual pickups that they put in Customs - 490R/498T.

All I know is that it's a boat anchor but is the finest LP I have ever played and I picked it out from over 50 other LPs of various models while I worked in a music store back around 1992. It's a killer!

So where does the Gibson Les Paul Supreme stand on the ranks of Gibson Les Pauls?

I mean if it looks something like this:

Customs -> Traditional/standard -> Studio

Where does the supreme stand? I figured in between custom and traditional/standard.

Anyways' date=' I am starting to look into the customs and the Supreme has caught my eye.

[/quote']

I've played them all recently in my seemingly endless quest for which LP I must have and I would agree that it belongs between Custom and Traditional and that is where it's priced. The Supreme had really good feel and balance and the lower weight of the chambered body is nice [but not a big thing for me] and the eye candy was simply superb. Two things I didn't like was I actually think about servicing things later and the Supreme has no access panels. Most importantly though, I just like the tone of the solid bodies [technically weight relieved] better for the type of music I play => blues, classic rock. Perhaps hard-rockers to shredders might prefer the chambered body, dunno. I played a Traditional the same day and the Traditional remains on my shortlist while the Supreme is not. A particular Custom was already on my shortlist.

To each their own though on the purely subject nature of "tone".

If where you're going won't allow you play what you are "legitimately" interested in, go somewhere else.

I never have trouble getting to play guitars. I do have trouble finding the guitars I want to play though.

Unknown except that it's a 1991 Custom Shop Custom with Super 400 inlays. I searched all over the place for info on it and all I could find was three other Harmony Central Reviews of it (the fourth being mine) and the rest of them are all in white. I contacted Gibson about the guitar about a year ago and they have no production numbers and basically told me that they built them for a short time around '91-92 and that it has the usual pickups that they put in Customs - 490R/498T.

All I know is that it's a boat anchor but is the finest LP I have ever played and I picked it out from over 50 other LPs of various models while I worked in a music store back around 1992. It's a killer!

Can't swear to it, but I thought I saw Heart's guitarist play one on a couple of tunes in their Dreamboat Anne remake recently. The exposed pups and 400 inlays caught my eye. Haven't been able to find anything on it though.

thx,

The pickups had covers when I bought it but I took them off probably within the first year that I bought it. I was playing metal with higher gain at the time and the thing would feedback like crazy. I think Gibson is making a black Supreme these days (has the fancy Supreme headstock inlays) so it could have been that.

I really liked the look of the Autumn Burst supreme GOTW' date=' http://www.fallonemusic.com/images/produits/Gibson_lespaul_supreme_inpage1b.jpg

Between the finish and the blank fretboard, too bad they only made so few[/quote']

Where the heck are the inlays on that?

At first I couldn't place what was wrong with that guitar and then I finished reading your post.

Anyways, at this point I own a chambered standard les paul. I wanted a traditional but I loved the neck on the standard and when I was at GC the guy played a standard and it sounded superb to me.

Anyways, I had no idea the supreme was chambered. I am looking for a boat on my next purchase.

Where the heck are the inlays on that?

At first I couldn't place what was wrong with that guitar and then I finished reading your post.

I think the fretboard is curly ebony or curly rosewood or something figured so they didn't put inlays in that model. It has a very cool look to it

Archived