Gibson Brands Forums

Blew your mind.

Navy Vet.

Some months ago I got turned on to a band-Kentucky Headhunters, they've been around for some time.  Never heard of them or their music, but they blew me away. What band or singer that you recently got turned on to that blew your mind.

Tragically Hip.

As a Brit, I had never heard of them until I read some references to them in Neil Peart's 'Travelling Music' book and figured I should listen to them. Glad I did. An absolute tour-de-force, both musically and lyrically. I describe them to friends as the 'best band you never heard of'. I became a massive, massive fan and was absolutely crushed when Gord Downie, the lead singer passed away recently. Not long after he died, my dad also passed away. Was especially poignant given that we both used to go to an acoustic guitar club at the local pub every Wednesday and we used to play a Hip song, Fiddler's Green together.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, LarryUK said:

I look on YouTube a lot and I came across a guitarist,

Javier Vinas. This is a great album. I bought it for my car. He's a tasty player. 

I was turned on to Vinas about a year ago along with Samantha Fish. I had never heard of either, both are outstanding.  I guess it's good to get out and explore every now and then.

31 minutes ago, Filbert said:

Tragically Hip.

As a Brit, I had never heard of them until I read some references to them in Neil Peart's 'Travelling Music' book and figured I should listen to them. Glad I did. An absolute tour-de-force, both musically and lyrically. I describe them to friends as the 'best band you never heard of'. I became a massive, massive fan and was absolutely crushed when Gord Downie, the lead singer passed away recently. Not long after he died, my dad also passed away. Was especially poignant given that we both used to go to an acoustic guitar club at the local pub every Wednesday and we used to play a Hip song, Fiddler's Green together.

That was outstanding. I'm crazy about Celtic music, may be why I dig Van Morrison so much.  This cat is very good. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Navy Vet. said:

I was turned on to Vinas about a year ago along with Samantha Fish. I had never heard of either, both are outstanding.  I guess it's good to get out and explore every now and then.

Yes. I also stumbled on to Doug Rappoport a few years back too. He plays for Edgar WInter, but he's a fantastic player. 

He does reviews on YouTube and his playing is so good and original, it's makes you want to give up. 

52 minutes ago, Filbert said:

Tragically Hip.

The cat playing the Yamaha acoustic, do you know what tuning he's in?  It ain't standard tuning.

This..  Mainly because I have just never really heard anything like it before. A Japanese band called Maximum The Hormone who mix between like five genres in the same song, so they go from Thrash to Death to Rock to Funk to Jpop lol  🙂 ..  

I don't think many people on here will like it much.. But if you decide to watch I just say, be patient.. Its totally bonkers...

This is just totally nuts...

Edited by Rabs

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

This..  Mainly because I have just never really heard anything like it before. A Japanese band called Maximum The Hormone who mix between like five genres in the same song, so they go from Thrash to Death to Rock to Funk to Jpop lol  🙂 ..  

I don't think many people on here will like it much.. But if you decide to watch I just say, be patient.. Its totally bonkers...

This is just totally nuts...

This blew my mind, but not in good kind of way. This music is definitely an acquired taste.