Gibson Brands Forums

I want to know as much as I can about my 2013 Traditional Pro II

Maui Dennis

Welcome to the forums.

Humbucking pickup covers shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as you take accurate measurements (and if necessary take the guitar to a reputable dealer or repairman).

They are usually attached to the pickup with a blob of solder somewhere.

https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Covers/PRPC-Neck

You don't have to buy Gibson ones if you can find generic ones the correct size.  Stewmac may be able to help.

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Pickup_Kits_and_Parts/Humbucking_Pickup_Covers.html

As to making the coil taps sound more like a Strat - not possible really, but you could use an EQ pedal to get some of the way there.

Good luck!

THANK YOU JDGM!  I'm not sure what to measure.  I think from side to side and front to back.  But, would it make any difference from post to post?  I can take it to Guitar Center but I think they'll try to sell me Gibson brand...  I need to go the cheapest route at this point.  I think you're right about the EQ, I may try it.  Thanks!

reduced guitar.jpg

Edited by Maui Dennis
added pic

13 hours ago, Maui Dennis said:

I'm not sure what to measure...

You need to measure the spacing from the centre of the low-e polepiece to the centre of the high-e polepiece of both pickups. Some Gibson pickups have a slightly different spacing depending on whether they are intended for the neck- or the bridge position. Then, obviously, buy covers with the correct spacing...

Pip.

They should be these particular pickups, if it is stock -

’57 Classic neck pickup, push/push coil split

Super ’57 Classic neck pickup, push/push coil split

Push/push active boost on  tone knob - user adjustable 10-dB boost.

🎸

Short of taking the pickups out, yes, it has coil tap and 10 db boost with battery compartment in the back... Sounds great when you kick it in.  Increases sustain too. What do you look for to tell that they're those pickups?  A sticker I'd imagine.

Edited by Maui Dennis
Added to post

Thanks again.  When I change the strings I'll take the pickups out, and put covers on if I can find 'em.  So far I'm extremely glad I sold my Strat...it was beautiful but I never liked it.  I feel like I went back home with this LP!  I just need to "catch up" with the science now.  Loved when I had a '61 ES 335 with REAL PAF pickups!... That was in the olden days.

can I make the coil taps sound more like a Strat?  Any suggestions?

No, not really.

Coil Taps will thin out the tone a bit, but it's not ever going to sound like a strat.  To get that, unfortunately,  one needs a strat...

I'm far more at home on a Gibson, but having said that, I have a few strats, and a tele (IMHO... everyone should have at least 1 telecaster)

Anyway, welcome to the asylum  enjoy your stay!

2 hours ago, Maui Dennis said:

Hi, thanks!  You're right.  I had a Strat for years.  Never felt at home with it.  I'll live with my LP.... NOT A BAD THING 🙂

nope  not at all..  I play my fenders on occasion, but honestly,  save for the 2 I've had for many years,  I don't think I'd miss having a fender..  even though, some times, they are just the ticket... I don't ride that bus often enough...   Can't really take me any where I can't get to just as easily with my LPs.

Edited by kidblast

16 hours ago, Maui Dennis said:

Hi, thanks!  You're right.  I had a Strat for years.  Never felt at home with it.  I'll live with my LP.... NOT A BAD THING 🙂

Hi,

I never got used to my Strat either. Even though I used it exclusively for 23 years. I have missed the Fender tones though. 

I now have both non-Fender Strat and Tele. These are much more playable

I also agree about the Gibsons. Feel great. Very natural and ergonomic. 

Welcome to the forums