Gibson Brands Forums

cherry burst j45?

uncle fester

Folks, went to an open mic the other night and one of the players had what looked like a vintage cherry burst J45...  or what I saw was a cherry burst slope shoulder dread that looked like it had some years on it.  I had never seen cherry burst J45s - am I all wet in what I think I saw, or were those around at some point in time?  Just curious, it looked sweet, sounded sweet...

The player left just before the last song and I didn't get to talk with him...

Yes, they were. When Gibson re-topped my old 1950 J-45 in 1968, they put a bright cherryburst finish on it. I hated it, and stripped it off a couple of years later, and turned it into a J-50 for the next 30 years or so.

Now a lot of those original late-60's cherrybursts have faded beautifully, and are pretty desirable.  They were a bit garish when new.

Faded cherry  sunburst J45s were from the early to mid 60s.  I have a 2006 Custom Shop J-45 1964 Reissue from Fuller’s that’s a replica/reissue if one.   Around the same 2006-7 era, Musicians Friend also issues a faded cherry sunburst J45 1960s icon model.   Gibson subsequently had a 1965 Donovan faded cherry sunburst J45 and then maybe a signature reissue of one from an different 70s musician.  I believe there is now a faded cherry sunburst J-45 in Gibson’s present line up of guitars.   The faded cherry sunburst is quite charismatic to look at.  (But, it should be noted that for some reason it often appears much more red than it is when photographed.)  

I also own a 1965 cherry sunburst Gibson 125TC (thin hollow body electric cutaway) and a faded cherry sunburst 1965 LG1.  All beauts of guitars to look at!

It should be noted that although some really like the faded cherry sunburst finish, some players express they do not at all like them. Good art gets reactions.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

If you bought a new Gibson J45 especially one built from 1962 through 1967  it was impossible to avoid cherrybursts    Gibson must have built  20K of them during those five years alone.  The  numbers shipped only go up from there,  The earliest cherryburst J45 I have seen was built in 1961 and the latest in 1970.  My '61 B45-12 is a cherryburst.   

Edited by zombywoof

...and for the instrument watchers, instruments played included

• 2 gibby's: mine and the cherry burst J45
  • 1 epiphone: awesomely played R Johnsons' Love in vain..
  • 2 martins: circa '50s small body something, and a newish D18 / 28?
  • 4 taylors and 1 name i didn't get
  • 1 accapella… show tunes (hmmm....  )
  • 1 fender strat… just learning guitar, but could sing like not tomorrow (freakin' singers...)
  • 1 small accordian coupled an acoustic, and then an electric...  interesting, again good singing

some really good musicians, a bunch of ok to pretty good, and then a couple that made me comfortable with the quality of my performance.  some kid did a jazz ensemble on the fender bass, I couldn't get into it but the crowd erupted so I guess it was good.  He did a couple things on the piano after that were really good.

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

If you bought a new Gibson J45 especially between from 1962 through 1967  it was impossible to avoid cherrybursts    Gibson must have built  20K of them during those five years alone.  The  numbers shipped only go up from there,  The earliest cherryburst J45 I have seen was built in 1961 and the latest in 1970.  My '61 B45-12 is a cherryburst.   

John and George’s Gibson J160s were also cherryburst.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff