Gibson Brands Forums

White Binding Stain from Strap

Brytam

I have a 2005 Rickenbacker 620 in Fireglo & the white binding at the strap button on the top horn has a black smudge stain from a deteriorating strap that I cannot get off the binding. There is also a small dark smudge stain at the strap button on the wood finish. The strap had a black cushioned backing that started deteriorating - some of the black material is flaking off, so I have just replaced it with a plain leather strap. This strap had been used on this guitar for years but I never noticed the stain until last Saturday at a gig where I noticed black smudge all over my shirt where the strap sits. (I always keep the guitar with the strap attached to it in it's case when not used.) I usually play my Les Paul but decided to pull the Ric out for this event.

I would appreciate some suggestions to try to remove the stain/smudge. I have used a vinegar cleaner, Goof Off & lemon oil with no results.

Hopefully someone has the answer!

Thanks!!
4BpNO5l.jpg

ROinSYO.jpg
Edited by Brytam
Add Pics

The same company that makes big bends nut sauce has a scratch remover in a paste form. It is really delicate too. I have used it on a tone of my guitars. It is a buffing compound of sorts. You could try that on a damp cloth and see how it does. But on another note, I had a white SG at one time that the previous owner took and left it in a guitar stand and the black foam rubber on the stand was absorbed into the lacquer on the guitar and guess what.......it never came out.  SO I hope you will be able to do something with yours. Sorry to see this.

• Like 1

Not sure how much luck you will have with removing that.  It appears the binding material is somewhat porous and the dye from the strap material worked it's way into the pores of the binding.   I don't seen any stain on the wood portion of the guitar finish be it nitro of some other lacquer.  If no cleaners or compounds work you might try scraping the binding (like they do after spraying the guitar) to remove the top layers of binding that contain the stain.  Tricky, but might be a last resort.  Good luck

Thanks guys! I use the Big Bends nut sauce on my string contact points (Amazing product!), so will try their paste product from them next.  I fear it has been absorbed into the binding as Twang Gang mentioned, as nothing to this point has helped . Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried some naphtha, as I read it has been used in cleaning guitars for a long time but no luck.

My wife suggested using Mr. Clean eraser pads & with some elbow grease (& masking tape to protect the finish), it worked!!

I destroyed the cleaning pad, as you can see in the 1st pic,  but that's what they do.

Sometimes its the simple things...there is still a hint of stain but I can live with this!

KBZ3JrP.jpg

jMoOn82.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brytam said:

Well, I tried some naphtha, as I read it has been used in cleaning guitars for a long time but no luck.

My wife suggested using Mr. Clean eraser pads & with some elbow grease (& masking tape to protect the finish), it worked!!

I destroyed the cleaning pad, as you can see in the 1st pic,  but that's what they do.

Sometimes its the simple things...there is still a hint of stain but I can live with this!

KBZ3JrP.jpg

jMoOn82.jpg

Great to hear that!  I'm glad that worked.  I'll have to remember that.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, Navy Vet. said:

Try lighter fluid. Apply to Q-tip and lightly rub on the stain.

The give a suggestion that someone has unsuccessfully tried after someone posts about their solution guy.

Edited by deeman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2