Gibson Brands Forums

"Sweet Virginia" solo on my Dove!

BluesKing777

Thanks all!

The Anthem has a blend control to add the TruMic thingy to an Element undersaddle. Earlier, I turned off the TruMic part and made a Tonedexter wavefile with just the Element on. And it sounds terrific!

But really, the Anthem is good to go, just as is.

Very pleased!

BluesKing777.

Thanks 62B and KC!

Yes 62, it is the Dove but tuned down 2 and capo on 3! Ha ha, it is the same strings, shop claimed they are recent. I will leave everything alone for a couple of weeks - how many times have I read that so and so bought a new guitar, loved it, changed the strings, saddle, pins, pickup, truss rod adjust....to get a.....buzzing guitar that rattles. So we will run with it as is.

Whoever played it had it pretty sorted, acoustically AND electrically - the track above has the Anthem settings that the previous owner had! I suspect the other Gibsons at the pawn shop are from the same person? The pawn shop computer system has been off line since Friday night - they mention it on their facebook page.  (I was going to point a friend to the shop). Good, I don't want to know.

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

The one I'm thinking of is the new guitar gets the new strings that day and the saddle changed from Tusq to bone and the undersaddle pickup taken out! And of course it buzzes. 

So, not this little duck - the D'Addario 12s can stay until they go black. Bone saddle and nut already there and the pickup stays - it is glorious.

Anyway, returning to the scene of the crime - I arrived at the shop last Friday lunchtime, parked in the very dodgy only car space around, with a mass of conflicting signs asking for a parking ticket, so I had a quick rec in the shop, spied the Dove in a hanging garden of guitars near a woman about to start a vacuum cleaner, said hello and zipped the car around the corner to a more parking inspector friendly spot.....

Walked back in the shop and the earlier plan to play hard to get with the salesman evaporated as I went straight up to the Dove, asked the guy if I could could try it out, played it for a minute and already had decided it was to be mine! I asked the sales guy what it could be mine for, made an offer and as it was consigned, he emailed the owner and I had to wait for a reply...meanwhile I played the 2017 Hummingbird, nice enough but not enough mojo to go with the broken tuner, quite dull. And ok, ok, I said to the guy, pass me the 1960 Hummingbird, way too much coin involved ($12,500) and it sounded very, very nice but the neck was a fair bit squeezier (1 11/16") for fingerpicking than my Dove purchase with the modern Gibbie 1.72. Dove transaction was approved, so I put my card in the slot and took off home with the Dove! Didn't get to play about 4 other Gibbies, can't afford to go back until the guitar fund gets another bump. I love you Mister Taxman!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777