Gibson Brands Forums

A string intonation - New 2019 Les Paul 50's

Sdahe

1 hour ago, rct said:

Is it the angle of the picture, my old eyes, or does that bridge look offset to the bass side by some teeny Euro hectameters or something?

rct

I don’t know if you’re joking, but the offset is deliberate. Interestingly, I’ve heard a person who authenticate vintage LPs say that because modern LPs, including historic reissues, have a more of an offset, they are easier to intonate than original bursts. 

OP, it’s hard to determine it from the pictures you’ve sent, but it seems like the string not going through the middle of the saddle is making the A string a hair closer to the D string. Could also be an optical illusion from the picture.

As other suggested it could be the tuner (forgive my ignorance, but is that a phone app tuner?). 

Personally I’d keep the guitar. Maybe try to negotiate a new bridge, or even just a new saddle, with the seller. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pauloqs said:

I don’t know if you’re joking, but the offset is deliberate. Interestingly, I’ve heard a person who authenticate vintage LPs say that because modern LPs, including historic reissues, have a more of an offset, they are easier to intonate than original bursts. 

Never ever heard that ever before about two piece bridges.  More likely it was a mistake that had to be carried over for "authenticity", like Leo and his poorly aligned Tele bridge that it took until the late 90's for conscientious objectors like me to get them to resolve.

And if that is true, it isn't working for this guy!

rct

5 minutes ago, rct said:

Never ever heard that ever before about two piece bridges.  More likely it was a mistake that had to be carried over for "authenticity", like Leo and his poorly aligned Tele bridge that it took until the late 90's for conscientious objectors like me to get them to resolve.

And if that is true, it isn't working for this guy!

rct

Wait, are you being serious? All two piece tails that I’ve ever seen, the bridge was slanted (yes that includes Eclipse and 594). 

Anyway, I think it’s not working for OP because the string spacing of the A string is a hair off. The slot was made a bit towards the D string. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pauloqs said:

Wait, are you being serious? All two piece tails that I’ve ever seen, the bridge was slanted (yes that includes Eclipse and 594). 

Anyway, I think it’s not working for OP because the string spacing of the A string is a hair off. The slot was made a bit towards the D string. 

Slanted, yes.  Offset, I used the word offset, as in across the face of the guitar, bass side to treble side, top to bottom, or, in the picture, left to right.

The bridge looks to be offset to the bass side, with the saddle slots all slightly offset to the treble side to compensate.

Or, it is a trick of the photo, or it is my old eyes.

rct

7 minutes ago, rct said:

Slanted, yes.  Offset, I used the word offset, as in across the face of the guitar, bass side to treble side, top to bottom, or, in the picture, left to right.

The bridge looks to be offset to the bass side, with the saddle slots all slightly offset to the treble side to compensate.

Or, it is a trick of the photo, or it is my old eyes.

rct

Oh I see, sorry I for the misunderstanding. You’re not talking about the low E side of the bridge being farther away from pickup than the high e. If I understand you correctly, you’re talking about the actual location of the saddle slots? If so, I might have old eyes as well, because I’m seen the same thing. That’s or, like you said, some photo optical illusion. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pauloqs said:

Oh I see, sorry I for the misunderstanding. You’re not talking about the low E side of the bridge being farther away from pickup than the high e. If I understand you correctly, you’re talking about the actual location of the saddle slots? If so, I might have old eyes as well, because I’m seen the same thing. That’s or, like you said, some photo optical illusion. 

No apology needed, sometimes my crystalline clear, erudite and concise discussion of all things guitar, which I am never wrong about, is, well, muddy.

But yeah.  Looks like the slots are all skewed to the bottom of the guitar, or the treble side of the bridge.  If that is real, it would be either just really poor slot cutting, or done for a reason.  So from the look of it, to me, it would mean the two bridge posts were drilled too close to the top, or bass side, of that guitar and they had to slide the strings down to line up with the nut.  Either way, it isn't good, to me. 

Or not.  I'm ok with having old eyes or just hallucinating.

And for the original question regarding phones and intonation, just don't.

Look at the nut.  If string is just sitting on front or back edge and stopping too close to bridge or too close to tuners, you'll have this kind of problem.

rct

• Like 1

Just now, Big Bill said:

Damn that is a sweet guitar!!!!

Yesss... that's why I prefer to fix any small detail instead of taking it back to the store and get another one.. this was the nicest one in the store when I went to buy a les paul

Just now, pippy said:

I'd flip the saddle just to see how much 'off-centre' it can be. I suspect that the slight difference would be insignificant when you are actually playing the (very pretty) thing.

Strange that it's out at all, though...

Pip.

I already flip the saddle and it takes the A string closer to the E string. Looks weird. Im gonna take the guitar today to a luthier and he can look at it

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sdahe said:

I already flip the saddle and it takes the A string closer to the E string. Looks weird. Im gonna take the guitar today to a luthier and he can look at it

But  were you able to nail pitch 100% with the saddle flipped? If so then, as suggested earlier, the simplest, quickest and cheapest option by far would be simply to buy an un-notched saddle and mark the groove in the necessary place yourself.

Pip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pippy said:

But  were you able to nail pitch 100% with the saddle flipped? If so then, as suggested earlier, the simplest, quickest and cheapest option by far would be simply to buy an un-notched saddle and mark the groove in the necessary place yourself.

Pip.

Yes it was good

19 minutes ago, Sdahe said:

Yes it was good

So now you know your solution.

Out of curiosity I've just checked my LPs (all of which have ABR-1's) and in each case if the A saddle isn't butting up against the rear of the bridge it can only be 1/4 of a turn shy. Never noticed that before. Mind you; mine all intonate correctly so I've not needed to 'fix' anythhng down there. This relative lack of latitude might possibly explain why Gibson felt it necessary to introduce the 'Nashville' with it's greater travel allowance.

Pip.

EDIT : Again and just out of curiosity; it would be an interesting academic exercise to compare exact nut-to-bridge-post measurements on original '50s LPs with the re-issues...

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

Sdahe,

I would suggest at this point to take it to some luthier you can trust.  To me, seems strange that your 6th and 5th strings are cranked up in the direction of the nut than in the other direction towards the tailpiece.  And as suggested by KB and others, get a tuner that is for the guitar - like the Boss tuner that isn't too expensive, but does a good job helping with intonating a guitar.  Used the Boss TU-12H for many years and intonated all my guitars with it just fine, so something along these lines will do you some justice in the future.  I recommend not using the mic function though - plug into it directly for better results (been my experience to get best results like this).  Overall, maybe $50 tops would get you a trustworthy tool if you have to spend that much.  Good luck and hopefully your guy can get your guitar its first initial setup and make it play better than it looks - which I might add is one sweet looking guitar!!! 

• Like 2

If the dimensions for saddle adjustment front-to-back are the same as the existing bridge - and they should be - why would that help matters? Did you suggest the (far, far less costly) saddle-swap method? If so why did the store not go ahead with this simple and inexpensive solution which would not involve the purchase of a whole new bridge?

Something's not right here.

Pip.

Edited by pippy

1 hour ago, pippy said:

If the dimensions for saddle adjustment front-to-back are the same as the existing bridge - and they should be - why would that help matters? Did you suggest the (far, far less costly) saddle-swap method? If so why did the store not go ahead with this simple and inexpensive solution which would not involve the purchase of a whole new bridge?

Something's not right here.

Pip.

They saw that almost all the saddles were wrong and they decided to put a new bridge and do it all over again. The important thing is the guitar has perfect intonation now.

• Like 3