Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP Standard help?

marczwetsloot

Hello! 

Just looking for some advice on 1991 Les Paul I’m looking to pick up. 

I have doubts about the originality of its finish, but purely because I can’t really find any examples of anything similar. Tuners and hardware seems to have been changed.

The serial number checks out, but the guitar is supposedly a 1991 Les Paul Standard, it’s a that sort of yellow sparkly Goldtop (Bullion?), with a dark back, which, as far as I can see, wasn’t really offered. The closest looking was a Classic model? 

Anyone have any idea how legit it is? 

Cheers

0C8AFD3D-DF85-4071-B5B0-F3F11ACE845A.jpeg

8972323F-C758-4B82-9242-FF4ACF2CC481.jpeg

69ABF830-0491-4C41-8E56-91D6E5DC309C.jpeg

114C1F94-B0CC-4D00-916C-9D7206E5BCA6.jpeg

Edited by marczwetsloot

if you can believe Guitar Dater

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the
Nashville Plant, TN, USA
on October 29th, 1991
Production Number: 120

the serial number stamped is indeed a "91" # 

it looks good from what I can gather.

A real good check is to make sure the truss rod needs a Gibson style socket style wrench adjust.  also, check that there are no screws on the bridge posts.

and it was built on my anniversary,,  42 years next week..  so I say you have a winner

Edited by kidblast

17 hours ago, rct said:

Kee rist you are old.

rct

at least I'm not RETIRED old...  ha!!

17 hours ago, Big Bill said:

Let us pray, 

Dear lord please be...

kind to KB, because some day his wife will probably get fed up and take the last train out of town..

There I finished it for you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, marczwetsloot said:

Thanks @kidblast, appreciate the reply. I believe it’s defo a genuine Gibson etc, it’s just the finish originality that I’m uncertain on. No amount of googling is bringing up gold finished LP Standards with dark backs from that time period. 

I think I agree, but I'm not expert.   At least I recall that most of the gold tops I was ogling back in the mid 90s had lighter backs.  I bought a 95 wine red, and it was down to that one or a gold top that had ceramic pickups...  I didn't really get off on those pickups so I went instead with the wine red standard, which I still have.   but the gold top did have a lighter back.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

at least I'm not RETIRED old...  ha!!

kind to KB, because some day his wife will probably get fed up and take the last train out of town..

There I finished it for you.

Man I hope you get RETIRED old soon!   Tom Cruise, end of Taps: "It's beautiful, man"

We are 39 years the week after you are 42 years.  Don't really run into people like us that much any more.

rct

13 minutes ago, rct said:

Man I hope you get RETIRED old soon!   Tom Cruise, end of Taps: "It's beautiful, man"

We are 39 years the week after you are 42 years.  Don't really run into people like us that much any more.

rct

Thanks Ron,  we have a plan, just you know how plans go..

and that's a fact, not many stick it out like this..

I guess some of us just got luckier than others, or some how, chose more wisely.  but at 16, there was nothing "wise" about me when I met her..  so I'm going with Luck all the way..

39, nothing to sneeze at,, 40 right around the corner..

Edited by kidblast

I retired in July of last year.  Retirement is great.   I'm still not quite used to not doing anything constructive but still getting paid for it (a pension check on the 1st of the month and a Social Security check on the 3rd Thursday of the month.)  And, I've got more money in the bank now than I ever did when I was working.

Did I mention that retirement is great?

I like the guitar, by the way.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 7:55 AM, marczwetsloot said:

So, further digging shows that it was originally trans-purple... so possibly a Classic? But then the serial is more in line with a Standard, as it’s 8 digits, where as all the classics seemed to run on the 5 digit system... 

I think the colors of the Classic may have been more of the traditional bursts. I know you can't, but if you were able to lift the bridge pick up it would tell you the color. You  can also call Gibson Customer service with the serial number and they will be able to provide more info. 1-800-4Gibson.

I'm sorry about the thread hijack.

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 1

I'd be a little wary of this guitar.  Not that it's a fake Gibson at all, but why change the finish from Trans-purple to a Goldtop?  The back has a few dings (not unusual for a almost 30 year old guitar), but what happened to the front that it needed refinishing?  There are lots of used Goldtops out there if that is what you are looking for.  If it plays and sounds good I guess no worries, but I'd just be reluctant as when you go to trade or sell it potential buyers are going to wonder why it needed a refinish.