Gibson Brands Forums

Tell me about 335 Studios, are they good?

yoshiii1

I have a 335 Studio. 2018 model. Pretty nice guitar. Not as blingy as it's better dressed brothers but it plays as good as more expensive 335s I've played. Has 57/57custom pickups and everything about it says 335 to me. The case is ok. It's a cheaper hsc than the brown cases but still a good guitar case. Everything about the guitar says Gibson to me. And as you mentioned, it was quite a lot cheaper than the fancier 335s.

Play one! It's the only way you can really decide if it will be worth it to you.

I like mine. But I will admit that in my mind I would rather own a Figured 335 in Glacier Blue. And I suppose if I was playing on stage, the crowd might notice a fancy top.

So... Sound and playing, the one I have is way more than half the guitar that the Figured 335 is. Whether it is "worth it" is a question that I can say  to because I don't have 3500+ to put into a 335.  

• Like 1

I snagged a brand new 2017 335 Studio in the CME blowout of that year (for a fantastic price), and love it.

It's got a '57 Classic in the neck and Super '57 in the bridge. Baked maple fretboard, but it sounds great to my ears - nice and snappy.

Build quality is superb. Can't say enough good things about it.

(It came sans pickguard, so I added one.)

3IdmhEF.jpg

SYG7Ozt.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dReit1 said:

I have a 335 Studio. 2018 model. Pretty nice guitar. Not as blingy as it's better dressed brothers but it plays as good as more expensive 335s I've played. Has 57/57custom pickups and everything about it says 335 to me. The case is ok. It's a cheaper hsc than the brown cases but still a good guitar case. Everything about the guitar says Gibson to me. And as you mentioned, it was quite a lot cheaper than the fancier 335s.

Play one! It's the only way you can really decide if it will be worth it to you.

I like mine. But I will admit that in my mind I would rather own a Figured 335 in Glacier Blue. And I suppose if I was playing on stage, the crowd might notice a fancy top.

So... Sound and playing, the one I have is way more than half the guitar that the Figured 335 is. Whether it is "worth it" is a question that I can say  to because I don't have 3500+ to put into a 335.  

^this^ pretty wells says it.  Yes, it is really good.  It is not neutered, just less bling.  It doesn't just say "Gibson", it says "ES-335" too.   That cannot be said of other lesser models in other model lines.  I have a 2016 along with other 3x5s, including reissues, so I can make a fair comparison.   Good enough to be arguably more bang for the buck.  Advice is as always, play as many as you can, and try to pick a good one. 

• Like 2

I would think it would be the same deal as the Les Paul Studio models - you can get one hell of a guitar for not a tremendous amount of money.

Another model to look at is the Satin; polish it up with some Virtuoso polish and it's like a whole different model (in a good way, too).

• Like 1

I do not own a 335 studio but do have a LP-ES studio and I like it as much as the much "better" standard model, in face with the 57's in it I like the sound better than my standard with MHS which are rather shrill.

The "studio" models I have played are easily as good as a standard 335 but with less bling, and they are much like the ES-333 which I have and like a LOT.

IMO it's always best to buy the best. New aren't always the best.. As is the case for ES335's.. A  mint 1959 Vintage ES335 with PAF's, IMO, would be the best.. But too expensive for most of us..

A recent, non Studio, New or Used Gibson Memphis ES335 with MHS Pickups  is a great choice for a great ES335.. No need to upgrade later....

L

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1