Gibson Brands Forums

Isn't she Dovely. Not really but salvagable PSA

dReit1

Probably the most detailed info I have ever seen presented on that site.  Note the cracks running down from the fingerboard and the soundhole distortion.  No interest in this one even without issues  but last year they offered up both a Kel Kroyden and a Holzapfel. Yowzah!

Edited by zombywoof

2 hours ago, j45nick said:

That's probably a 1969, which may well have the very narrow nut. The guitar doesn't look bad.

Unfortunately, the distinctive Dove pickguard is starting to out-gas, and will have to go before it damages everything around it.

I thought Gibson started going back to the  1 11/16" nut in 1969?   Still though it will the heavier bracing and  the thin neck carve.  Baby ain't got no back.  

Edited by zombywoof

Strikes me as later than a '69 by the rectangular orange "fan" label and the '70s style bridge. I'd put it at around '72, looking at the logo and headstock inlays the colour of the MOP look very early '70s to me too...I could be wrong though!

On 11/2/2019 at 5:13 PM, j45nick said:

That's probably a 1969, which may well have the very narrow nut. The guitar doesn't look bad.

Unfortunately, the distinctive Dove pickguard is starting to out-gas, and will have to go before it damages everything around it.

It's exactly as Nick says. In fact, it's already ripped the top along the neck block pretty badly. Overall,  though, from the looks of it, this guitar is in for a repair job of medium difficulty (for a competent luthier) depending on whether or not she requires a neck reset as well, which I suppose she does. The current price of 900 bucks seems about right to me. I'd stash away a grand for all the obvious and hidden repairs necessary. Worth it perhaps if you're in the market for a square-shouldered dreadnought, which I am not.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Thats a 70s double x.  I had a dark burst dove just like that with the 3 piece back.    

I never thought I would see another just like it.  Im guessing they tryied to salvage all the scrap wood they could find for those backs. 

Edited by slimt

A bit of a shame - poor old lovey dovey...

There doesn't appear to be anything holding the top up around that crack - probably the braces fell of when someone got donged on the head by a wife? Unhappy customer?

The cracks at the end of the neck area indicate it has all moved, is that correct?

Since getting my 2005 Dove, I have noticed how similar they all look (in photos) over the years and there is a video on YT with a 76 of the evil era that looks a ringer for mine on the front at least. I have never seen, let alone played another Dove in my life...I don't think. Though I have played other skinny neck 60s Gibsons and I way prefer the 2005 'more modern' neck. I can fingerpick without too much restriction - the bridge space is tight but do-able! The maple is good for my bare finger fingerpicking too - clear and bright, while other 'bassy' dreads can go a bit dull without picks....

So what are other things on various year Doves to look out for with the new player in mind? (I have seen the videos at Normans with the Les Paul saddles!)

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777