Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Koa(all koa-top,back and sides)

koahoa

I recently bought an all koa Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Koa.It has a custom shop logo on the back of the headstock, a bound neck and master grade flamed koa top and a slightly lesser grade flamed koa back and sides.I have called Gibson's customer service and given them a description as well as the serial number and they could not seem to find any info on it for me. So I called a friend in a shop in Birmingham,AL and he was able to find out it was a special order made only for Guitar Center.Only 50 were made.I have talked also with Guitar Center and could not find out anything from them either.I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who either has this guitar or has any info on this guitar such as how much it sold for originally and would love to have the specs on it.It was made in Dec. of 07'.So I assume it came out in 08'.It has a great tone and plays great.I put Elixir strings on it and it just rings like a bell.I would highly recommend this guitar to anyone and I have been playing for 43 years.I have pics of this guitar.Just couldn't figure out how to post them.So iof someone wants to tell me how I will post a couple of pics of it for you or I can email them to you.Thanks guys.

Here is the only other all Koa Songwriter I have ever seen. They are beautiful.

You may have to copy and paste the entire link in order for it to work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-GIBSON-SONGWRITER-DELUXE-EC-ACOUSTIC-ALL-KOA-WOW_W0QQitemZ360139012607QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item360139012607&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I remember when Guitar Center had those, beautiful guitars. I believe when Guitar Center does a special run like that each store gets one guitar. If I remember correctly they went for around $2,500.00 (pretty cheap for an all Koa guitar) and they didn't stay in the stores long. The GC here sold theirs in two days. I found the guitar to be quite a joy to play with a sweet tone. It was a little on the quite side, I'm guessing that's because the Koa top is hard to push. Enjoy!

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my post so far and apologize for not responding a little sooner.I was not able to post pics of this guitar on here for some reason and would like to post them so you can see what it looks like.I did try to do it through photo bucket with no luck.If anyone is interested in seeing the pics I can email them to you and if you'd like maybe you could post them for me so the others could see them.Thanks very much Karen for the warm welcome,TheLiveSoundGuy for the instructions on posting a pic and for the pic of the all koa SWD,robekert for the link and Space Pup for the info.It's much appreciated guys.

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my post so far and apologize for not responding sooner.I was not able to post pics of this guitar on here for some reason and would like to post them so you can see what it looks like.I did try to do it through photobucket with no luck.If anyone would like to see the pics I can email them to you and,if youwould like, maybe you could post them for me so the others could see them.Thanks very much Karen for the warm welcome,TheLiveSoundGuy for the instructions on posting pics and for the pic of the all koa SWD,robekert for the link and Space Pup for the info.It's much appreciated guys.

More Songwriters!!!! Wooohooo!

homer_woohoo.jpg

+1 and welcome.

My teacher has an all Koa 185 and 165, both Custom Shop special orders. They are absolutely gorgeous. He also has a Koa b&s Songwriter with a spruce top which I've played.

It's good but it's not like the real thing!

Thanks very much Layla.I have always liked that CD.It's one of my favorite things by Clapton as well as one of my favorite things by Duane Allman.Thanks albertjohn for coming to say hello.Are you the original owner of that Yamaha?If you are,you've been playing it for a long time huh?Hi drathbun.I agree with you.Woohoo!

Koahoa. I am the second or possibly third owner of the Yamaha. I bought from a fellow pupil at school, who worked in the local guitar shop, when I was 15 in 1977.

I played it in school and university bands for several years. Got mothballed along with my guitar playing for nearly 20 years.

It's a bit of a mess - I stupidly "refinished" it soon after I bought it. It plays horribly now. Apart from that it's original. Saw the very same model for sale a year ago for £100 so it's not worth much.

But I'm hoping some mad Japanese collector will pay me loads of money for it one day. Until then I'll keep her for old times sake.

Hi albertjohn

I think its nice that you kept it all this time.I wish I had been able to keep all of mine.My first electric guitar was a 1969 Telecaster with a maple neck in antique white that I bought in like 1970 used for 250.00USD, when I was a freshman in high school.I still kick myself for selling it.What a great playing guitar.I guess whats important is how much it's worth to you.

• 3 years later...

I too have also been searching for info on this guitar I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade/sell it for anything! I knew it was a custom and only so many were made but I didn't know it was 1 of 50. That's pretty incredible it was seriously destiny (the story) how I ended up with this amazing guitar but I'm ecstatic so see another songwriter deluxe koa with electronics and the cutaway

• 9 months later...

post-57818-012366500 1372197896_thumb.jpgFigure I'd add to this post, seems some of these come back periodically and lo and behold a new one was in Calgary yesterday on for about $3k Canadian. I brought it home and am checking it out :) I actually went in to look at a Taylor but I love Koa and we have several Gibson electrics in the house already, but this sounds oh so sweet. I do have a Martin Koa that I bought in a pawn shop lol a few years back that I've been enjoying but this gets me back to that bright Gibson sound on the high end, but the Koa fills in those rich tones on the low end.

I expect I'll be keeping it :) Its got the Custom Shop insignia as well. I actually thought the Koa top was more beautiful than some higher price ones I saw and tried out and still sounded great in comparison especially for the price point. - I held them side by side - maybe its because Gibson has been doing quite a bit with Koa Les Pauls they've had some nice wood to move around.

Tina

• 2 months later...

Hey 6stringking and Vistadeck....sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys. I am very glad you were able to find the post. It took me a very long time to find out anything about this wonderful guitar. I spent a long time searching the internet and talked to someone at Gibson and was not able to find much of anything out. But was lucky enough to find out , that in this particular case , it was a special promotion created for Guitar Center. I was told by the guy from Guitar Center that the original price point was $2499.00(...but I do believe the price of this guitar would be closer to 3000.00 today). I did also notice that they made a few more of them in one of the years that followed. Because I saw the ads online for Gibson acoustics and they were offering a couple of their models with solid flamed Koa tops, backs and sides....the Hummingbird and the Songwriter Deluxe. But it must have also been in limited numbers. I can't remember the price on the Songwriters. But, I know the price on the Koa Hummingbirds was near $4000.00.....would loved to have had one of those too....wink. I am glad that you both got one and are enjoying them. I do still have mine today and will probably never sell it. I do agree with you Vista about the tone is really wonderful because it gives you that great brightness that Gibson acoustics are known for ,the nice midrange tone from the Koa and the low end boom from the way the Songwriter Deluxe is designed. It is very well balance tonally speaking. It is truly a great guitar. I love it. Come say hello sometime , guys, if you want to. I am shadow72255 on yahoo IM.

Archived